Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Learning RP English

Learning RP English
Lava Lamp Freak
Jun 20, 2007, 02:29 PM

As odd as it might sound, I am an American fascinated with learning RP English. I'm looking for advise from any non-Britons who have learned the accent, or have learned any new accent other than the region they are from. How difficult is it to teach yourself a new accent? I know it is possible since I hear American actors who have learned a British accent for a movie, and vice versa. One idea is to go to some local British meetup.com groups to practice.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 02:32 PM

RP = Royal something?

Lava Lamp Freak  (op)
Jun 20, 2007, 02:37 PM

Rumor
Jun 20, 2007, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
RP = Royal something?
RP = Role Playing

I think it depends on the character, where they are from etc. I do a really good Dwarf.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Lava Lamp Freak  (op)
Jun 20, 2007, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
RP = Role Playing

I think it depends on the character, where they are from etc. I do a really good Dwarf.
Congratulations. Dwarvish English is one of the most difficult accents to learn.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2007, 03:16 PM

Um, I hate to say this, but a native English speaker trying to affect RP reeks of being a social climber.

Plus, RP/BBC/Oxfordy English constantly evolves, and from the outpost of Tennessee you almost certainly won't be able to attain the same linguistic characteristics of, say, students at Harrow or Eton.

No offense, just giving you a reality check.

Lava Lamp Freak  (op)
Jun 20, 2007, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Um, I hate to say this, but a native English speaker trying to affect RP reeks of being a social climber.

Plus, RP/BBC/Oxfordy English constantly evolves, and from the outpost of Tennessee you almost certainly won't be able to attain the same linguistic characteristics of, say, students at Harrow or Eton.

No offense, just giving you a reality check.
Thanks for the response old boy.

I am aware that English changes. Nevertheless, I am interested in learning for my own amusement.

design219
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post
... for my own amusement.
Ever try a video game?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 03:51 PM

Nevertheless, I am interested in learning for my own amusement.
RP = Role Playing
Nail. Head.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2007, 04:06 PM

Congratulations. Dwarvish English is one of the most difficult accents to learn.
Nah, they just sound like a guy doing a Scottish accent.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2007, 05:03 PM

As odd as it might sound, I am an American fascinated with learning RP English. I'm looking for advise from any non-Britons who have learned the accent, or have learned any new accent other than the region they are from.
You realise that the British accent changes dramatically in the space of 30 miles?

I'm in Stoke (think Robbie Williams accent). 30 miles up the road in Manchester the accent is completely different (think Oasis). 30 miles down the road in Birmingham it's different again (think Ozzy).

What you want to do is relatively easy. Just watch a lot of Leslie Philips films and acquire the attitude.

OK. Practice now. Tighten that top lip (yes, literally - tighten it around the upper gum and teeth with your facial muscles) and say "oh hello". Do it.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2007, 05:04 PM

Watch any TV program with Stephen Fry in.

Stephen Fry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stephen Fry (I)

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2007, 05:16 PM

BBC NEWS | Magazine | Plain speaking <--- after I googled "cut glass", ha.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2007, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I'm in Stoke (think Robbie Williams accent). 30 miles up the road in Manchester the accent is completely different (think Oasis). 30 miles down the road in Birmingham it's different again (think Ozzy).
So that's why no one can understand a word Ozzy says!

Lava Lamp Freak  (op)
Jun 20, 2007, 05:21 PM

You realise that the British accent changes dramatically in the space of 30 miles?

What you want to do is relatively easy. Just watch a lot of Leslie Philips films and acquire the attitude.

OK. Practice now. Tighten that top lip (yes, literally - tighten it around the upper gum and teeth with your facial muscles) and say "oh hello". Do it.
Yea, I understand that. It's the same in the US. Actually, it's even worse in the area I live since it's a melting pot of so many different nationalities.

That is the reason I said RP. That is what I was told to use as a basis for learning (on another forum).

Thanks for the input.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2007, 05:51 PM

Yea, I understand that. It's the same in the US. Actually, it's even worse in the area I live since it's a melting pot of so many different nationalities.
Heh. My example was just the natives! Mix in the foreigners and nobody can understand anyone else - they have to go to NN to have a conversation!

OK... ...I've just been having a go at my Birmingham accent (along with the RP accent earlier). I'm totally stupid when it comes to why accents sound the way they do, but my experimentation leads me to believe that it's partly down to how you hold your jaw, cheeks and lips while you speak.

For example, the RP accent is tightening of the top lip (until you feel the tip of your nose move south). I seem to do a Birmingham accent better when my cheeks are puffed out (fnarr fnarr!) and I don't move my jaw much. I seem to do an American accent (my default being an Italian monster from Texas) when I suck my cheeks in.

Maybe experiment? But not in front of your cats - they'll look at you like you're crazy.

Also, definitely pick a "role model" for the target accent. Stephen Fry, as suggested, is a good target for your RP accent.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2007, 06:57 PM

Alright lads, this is the secret:

What you do, ya? Is say a few words, pause, ya? Then ahftah the pause, ya, say "yaahh", ya?

Also, when someone tells you something, reply with, "Noooo I cahn't belieeeve it!"

That is lesson #1 in fake posh.

bstone
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2007, 08:13 PM

RP = Role Playing

I played D&D for a long while. I do a good evil elf. I played a Sun Elf Necromancer up to level 11. He became a lich and disappeared.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

willed
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2007, 07:17 AM

It depends whether you want to learn either
a) Stereotypical RP (as in that BBC article linked to above), the sort used in war films, by the BBC in the 1950s and by the Queen (although some claim she has 'dumbed down' her accent in recent years!)
or
b) Modern RP - that picked up by anyone who goes to a private school anywhere in the UK even today. This would still seem quite ridiculous coming from an American though, no offence!

Lava Lamp Freak  (op)
Jun 21, 2007, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by willed View Post
a) Stereotypical RP (as in that BBC article linked to above), the sort used in war films, by the BBC in the 1950s and by the Queen (although some claim she has 'dumbed down' her accent in recent years!)
or
b) Modern RP - that picked up by anyone who goes to a private school anywhere in the UK even today. This would still seem quite ridiculous coming from an American though, no offence!
Yea, it looks like it is going to be too difficult to do this without interaction with other people who know how.

Maybe I should just focus on loosing my accent and speaking correct English.

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Jun 21, 2007, 08:41 AM

I live with a few actors from RADA, you could buy a teeth stick and learn to sound your words correctly with your tongue first, then to nail RP you'd have to chose a role model (as suggested above) and keep practising.

The cheaters method is to find three or four different phrases that use the different vowel sounds and take it from there, whenever something doesn't sound quite right you just think of your nailed phrases and keep re-sounding new elements untill you have a more complex basis to tweak. (However, this will very much be your basis and will no doubt contain inaccuracies!)

Also, once you think you've nailed a particular passage, try replicating it with a younger or older slant, this will give you variety and perspective (supposedly).

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2007, 09:46 AM

Oh, and BTW... ...the only American ever to get a British accent correct to the point of native Brits not laughing is Gwyneth Paltrow. Everyone else fails.

Lava Lamp Freak  (op)
Jun 21, 2007, 10:02 AM

Oh, and BTW... ...the only American ever to get a British accent correct to the point of native Brits not laughing is Gwyneth Paltrow. Everyone else fails.
What did you think about Renée Zellweger in Bridget Jones Diary? Hugh Grant said she was the best American with a British accent he had ever heard.

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Jun 21, 2007, 10:07 AM

Well if Hugh Grant said it... pfff.

(I thought she was OTT.)

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2007, 10:12 AM

Over The Top?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2007, 10:29 AM

What did you think about Renée Zellweger in Bridget Jones Diary?
I've only ever seen about two minutes of it (on account of having a penis and stuff), so can't really comment other than to say if she'd impressed me I'd probably have noticed in that short time. Took about 30 seconds to say "wow" at Paltrow's accent.

philm
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2007, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by willed View Post
b) Modern RP - that picked up by anyone who goes to a private school anywhere in the UK even today.
Not really. Kids who go to private school in Newcastle speak like Geordies and kids going to private school in Manchester or Bolton sound like they are from Lancashire. I can guarantee this from personal experience. So, I disagree with your point (b).

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2007, 10:52 AM

You didn't like Juliet Landau (Dru) on Buffy?

Oh, and I remember on the Lord of the Rings DVD special features, Brad Dourif says that when he reverted back to his normal way of talking, Christopher Lee asked him, "Why are you doing that awful American accent?"
Chuck
___

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2007, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I liked her. But her accent was pure comedy.

Oh, and I remember on the Lord of the Rings DVD special features, Brad Dourif says that when he reverted back to his normal way of talking, Christopher Lee asked him, "Why are you doing that awful American accent?"
Hmmm... ...maybe, just maybe.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2007, 11:00 AM

How could anyone not like Juliet Landau? I thought James Marsters did a pretty good job too. I once heard an interview with him when he was out of character, I thought exactly the same thing as Christopher Lee. It was rather jarring.

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 21, 2007, 11:50 AM

RP = Role Playing

Rumor
Jun 21, 2007, 01:03 PM

Yea, it looks like it is going to be too difficult to do this without interaction with other people who know how.

Maybe I should just focus on loosing my accent and speaking correct English.
The papers have been filed to evict you from the US.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2007, 01:45 PM

My point still stands, that an American trying to learn RP is a bit odd. Plus, don't Americans have their own equivalent of RP?

YouTube - Noam Chomsky vs. William F. Buckley Debate : Part 1 of 2

Lava Lamp Freak  (op)
Jun 21, 2007, 02:15 PM

My point still stands, that an American trying to learn RP is a bit odd. Plus, don't Americans have their own equivalent of RP?

YouTube - Noam Chomsky vs. William F. Buckley Debate : Part 1 of 2
Nah, not odd at all. I had good reasons. Mainly to impress chicks. Now you understand.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2007, 02:17 PM

As in an accent that sounds classy? I don't think most people would say so. The standard American accent seems to be pretty much neutral as far as connotations are concerned. RP sounds much classier — that presumably being the reason why so many Americans want to do that embarrassing Madonna-accent ****. There's an almost extinct Southern dialect that I think was close in giving a distinguished air, but that was never anything people tried to learn.
Chuck
___

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2007, 02:21 PM

Nah, not odd at all. I had good reasons. Mainly to impress chicks. Now you understand.
Is an English accent that much of an impression maker on colonial chicks?

I'm asking 'coz I don't know... ...on account of impressing all chicks everywhere anyway.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2007, 02:24 PM

I think its one of many that works. But as long as its not cockney, it also comes off as more cultured and intelligent over here (See: American movies and stereotypes)

design219
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2007, 02:26 PM

adds +10 points on IQ.

pshaw.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2007, 02:30 PM

Is an English accent that much of an impression maker on colonial chicks?
Totally. As far as I can tell, it's one of the most universally attractive things out there. Well, I mean, a proper English accent. Some strange accent from out in the boonies might not work.

Strangely, men don't seem to have the same reaction to English accents in women. Sorry, Britchicks.
Chuck
___

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2007, 02:35 PM

Speak for yourself.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2007, 02:43 PM

Speak for yourself.
I very rarely speak for myself. I happen to think chicks with British accents are hot (although not the same kind of accent chicks find hot in guys). Most men don't really seem to care that much about the accent, though.
Chuck
___

Lava Lamp Freak  (op)
Jun 21, 2007, 02:48 PM

Speak for yourself.
Yea, I love the voice of women with both British and Australian accent. But there is also a beauty to woman with a Texan accent.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2007, 02:48 PM

Yea, I love the voice of women with both British and Australian accent. But there is also a beauty to woman with a Texan accent.
I was with you up until Texas. There are much better Southern-ish accents than Texan. Like almost all of them.
Chuck
___

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2007, 02:55 PM

I very rarely speak for myself.
You arrogant son of a...

I happen to think chicks with British accents are hot (although not the same kind of accent chicks find hot in guys). Most men don't really seem to care that much about the accent, though.
Agree on both counts.

But there is also a beauty to woman with a Texan accent.
A southern drawl could probably get me to commit murder.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2007, 03:09 PM

Australian, definitely. Australian chicks are hot. The ones that aren't ugly, anyway...

British... it depends. I think an Irish accent can be attractive on a chick, and even a Scottish sometimes. I haven't really heard any Welsh accents that I found particularly attractive (or distinctive, really, at least in the North of Wales it seems they may as well all be from Manchester). As for English accents, it depends. Most of the English chicks I know are from London (the farthest, I think, is from Wimbledon), which is a pretty neutral accent. I haven't really spent much time in other parts of England, just Wales really.

Forum Links
Forum Rules