Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > yahoo, sucking even more...

yahoo, sucking even more...
fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2007, 06:42 PM

i've been using a my yahoo page, and yahoo mail for about 8 years or so.
the mail beta, as some of you know, has yet to support safari.

tonite, the 'my yahoo' beta is up, and...does not support safari (altho, so far, it does seem to work).

it's 2007! why isn't yahoo supporting safari? it's the default browser for os x...

just annoying, and...surprising.
how hard is it to support mac users??
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Suikolove
Jul 18, 2007, 07:09 PM

Well, I'm pretty sure they've assumed that Mac users would be using other browsers.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2007, 07:11 PM

Not to defend Yahoo, but Safari 2 has had some serious Javascript issues that have prevented it from working with a number of applications.

fisherKing  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2007, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Suikolove View Post
Well, I'm pretty sure they've assumed that Mac users would be using other browsers.
i'm thinking of a basic mac user, who uses his machine with the default apps...
how many people is that?
safari has a huge user base.
it's just hard to believe that yahoo is not supporting the default browser for the mac..!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

Suikolove
Jul 18, 2007, 07:15 PM

Well, my website design instructor told me to make sure my websites work in IE and FireFox, and not bother with the rest. They might have the same mentality.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2007, 07:29 PM

Despite the numbers Steve puts out there, Safari is a tiny little niche browser.

W3Schools puts it at 1.3% (actually Safari + Konqueror combined, but I assume Konqueror is even smaller than Safari) and declining (from 1.7% in Jan).

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2007, 07:30 PM

Just use Firefox and be thankful that it isn't Windows IE only like many pages were in years past...

allblue
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2007, 07:35 PM

I opened my Yahoo account five minutes after getting online nearly nine years ago, it's been my one consistent email address and so don't want to lose it. I've reconciled myself to having none of the bells and whistles available to IE users, but periodically I simply cannot get into it, specifically if the 24 hour period has elapsed when I am offline, so have to go through the https log-in screen. I get the "Safari cannot connect to server" error message (if I'm online, and I get the 'You have to log in again 'screen from within Yahoo it's not a problem.) Fed up with this, I decided to give Firefox another a look a few days ago, and must say I am impressed, so I might stick with FF for a while. Hopefully, Safari on the iPhone will drag it more into the mainstream and these problems will go away.
"Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

Buddha

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2007, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Despite the numbers Steve puts out there, Safari is a tiny little niche browser.

W3Schools puts it at 1.3% (actually Safari + Konqueror combined, but I assume Konqueror is even smaller than Safari) and declining (from 1.7% in Jan).
And what is the margin of error there?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Rumor
Jul 18, 2007, 07:39 PM

Well, my website design instructor told me to make sure my websites work in IE and FireFox, and not bother with the rest. They might have the same mentality.
He should be fired. The instructor I had a couple of years ago could not stress the importance of W3C compliance and cross platform compatibility enough.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2007, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post

At that site and only there.

Measured over a variety of websites Safari's usage share is more like 4.5%.

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=3

fisherKing  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2007, 08:34 PM

my point is; there are a lot of computer users (mac, pc) who use default programs.
(i use safari because i prefer it.

yahoo is choosing to ignore those who use the default browser on their mac, and those of us who choose to use safari.

am just surprised (and obviously annoyed!)...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2007, 09:11 PM

You shouldn't be surprised. Yahoo cares about the Mac like I care about Microsoft. Launch went for years and years without support for OS X.
Chuck
___

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2007, 10:00 PM

Have your Yahoo! account forwarded to Gmail and be done with it.
Change your world and you will change your mind.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2007, 10:12 PM

I don't understand the draw to web based email clients, especially the so-called "free" ones that data mine your email, throw ads at you, whatever...

Is it that uncommon for your ISP to offer POP or IMAP access these days?

fisherKing  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2007, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I don't understand the draw to web based email clients, especially the so-called "free" ones that data mine your email, throw ads at you, whatever...

my main email account is at my website, so...i use apple Mail with it.
yahoo i've had for a decade, i use it for things i don't want at my main account.

but i DO like the my yahoo start, and (thanx to pithhelmet), it's (mostly) ad-free...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2007, 10:26 PM

Is it that uncommon for people to switch ISPs these days?
Chuck
___

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2007, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Is it that uncommon for people to switch ISPs these days?
huh?

DakarÊ’
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2007, 09:47 AM

He's saying people like having fixed email addresses that don't change everytime your internet provider does.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2007, 09:52 AM

Which I suppose the free email providers count on since none of them (to the best of my knowledge) offer any data import/export options, forcing lock-in.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2007, 10:21 AM

Which I suppose the free email providers count on since none of them (to the best of my knowledge) offer any data import/export options, forcing lock-in.
It doesn't really force lock-in, it just makes it kind of a pain to switch. That's OK with me, though, because the pain of moving mail around is nothing compared to the pain of keeping everybody up to date on my e-mail address.
Chuck
___

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2007, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
It doesn't really force lock-in, it just makes it kind of a pain to switch. That's OK with me, though, because the pain of moving mail around is nothing compared to the pain of keeping everybody up to date on my e-mail address.
What's the difference between lock-in and making it extremely inconvenient to switch? I mean, if my cellphone provider charges me a fee to cancel a contract and I cannot move my phone number to a new service, is this lock-in or just a pain to switch?

Genuine, non-debatey question...

isleofjib
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2007, 10:38 PM

what data are you talking about? emails? then this is true. however, yahoo and gmail (the only 2 i use) both allow you import/export contacts, calendar info, etc.

PEPPERRULES
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2007, 02:50 AM

Safari is unstable anyway. Try using firefox and you can take advantage of all the features.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2007, 10:04 AM

What's the difference between lock-in and making it extremely inconvenient to switch? I mean, if my cellphone provider charges me a fee to cancel a contract and I cannot move my phone number to a new service, is this lock-in or just a pain to switch?
If you can't move your phone number, that might well be a lock-in. I'd say a lock-in is where, for all practical purposes, you are prevented from switching. Honestly, moving e-mail from one account to another (even when it's not made dead simple) seems far less burdensome to me than the actual process of making sure everybody is on the same page as to where they need to write you. Some people still try to write me at the ISP-provided address I used 10 years ago.
Chuck
___

Suikolove
Jul 20, 2007, 01:30 PM

Also, IE does not follow standards from my understanding, so Firefox is better to use. Mozilla made a Mac version, didn't they?

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jul 20, 2007, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
i'm thinking of a basic mac user, who uses his machine with the default apps...
how many people is that?
safari has a huge user base.
it's just hard to believe that yahoo is not supporting the default browser for the mac..!
That's because Macs are still only a small percentage or at least not large enough for some companies to even bother to support Macs. Also with Firefox being available for Macs some web developers become lazy and only test their websites on IE and Firefox only and say they have Macs covered because Mac users can simply use Firefox if they want these sites to work right. Welcome to the problems of being a minority. It's really the biggest complaint I have with Macs.

The main reason why I would like Macs to have a larger market share is there would be more support for us. It's a lot better than it used to be in the past but it's still nowhere near where I want it to be.

That's also the reason why I try to buy all my Mac software because I'm hoping that companies will see an increase in profits from the Mac community which hopefully will gives us more attention and support for Mac products.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jul 20, 2007, 02:24 PM

Mozilla made a Mac version, didn't they?
Yes but Mozilla is now discontinued. It's call SeaMonkey now but unless you like using an all in one suite I prefer to use Firefox.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2007, 01:06 PM

Yahoo Mail is now out of beta, so Safari is now "officially" not supported.

Forum Links
Forum Rules