Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac 4 gig memory?

iMac 4 gig memory?
Spartan24
Aug 7, 2007, 08:33 PM

Just ordered the new 24" extreme with only 1 gig of ram expecting to be able to oreder 4 gigs of the PC2-5300 667 with no problem.. LOL

Looks like this is the same as in the Mac Pro Quad? Anyone got a location to order the correct ram for this new iMac?

Thanks

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2007, 12:46 AM

No, it's not the same memory as the Mac Pro; it's laptop memory, the same as the MacBook Pro.

Crucial doesn't have the new iMacs in their database yet, so just use the MBP page: 4GB kit (2GBx2), 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 upgrades for Apple MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (15.4-inch) Laptop/Notebook, CT687602 from Crucial.com

bbales
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2007, 07:19 AM

I checked Crucial and couldn't find it in the database yet either. Other World Computing sent out an email last night listing its own sets of RAM for the new imacs. I THINK 2 GB was $114, but I can't swear to that and I don't have time to dig out the email at the moment.

I'm going to order my imac with just the one GB as well, and buy RAM elsewhere. I have never had an imac -- I take it it's not difficult to put in new memory?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2007, 07:25 AM

a sigle screw on the bottom.

Spartan24  (op)
Aug 8, 2007, 09:06 AM

Thanks Guys..

Doh! Didn't even dawn on me that this would be the same as the Macbook Pro memory.. Just ordered 4 gigs from OWC for $230. Just a tad bit less expensive than from Apple

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2007, 09:09 AM

4gb memory sounds beast-like, I might consider doing that sometime!

allblue
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2007, 07:52 PM

Thanks for the info on the 2GB chips from Crucial. I know Apple have long extracted the urine when it comes to RAM prices, but this really takes the biscuit! I just specced up the following (in Sterling) from Apple:

24" 2.4 Core2Duo iMac
Upgrade to 2.8 Core2Duo
Upgrade hard drive to 500GB
Leave RAM at 1GB
Total: £1368.99
Add 4GB Crucial RAM: £164.49
Total cost: £1533.48

24" 2.8 Core2Duo iMac
Leave hard drive at 500GB
Upgrade to 4GB RAM
Cost £1908.99

That is a difference of £351.51 (that's over 750 bucks folks!), or about 20% for exactly the same machine. Plus with the cheaper version you get a spare 1GB RAM chip to play with! In more recent times Apple had been narrowing the gap on their notorious RAM prices, but this is just ridiculous.
"Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

Buddha

soonlar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2007, 08:49 PM

I was also looking at getting the 24" with the 1gb and adding another 2gb ram module from OWC for $115. So then I would have 3gb total (orig 1gb plus 2gb). Does anyone know if there is a problem mixing two different size chips in the new iMac?
iPhone 4gb
Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66ghz
iPod Mini Silver 4gb
<Looking to purchase the new 24" iMac 2.8ghz core2 extreme>

Forum Links
Forum Rules