Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > I need some quick advice on a G4 purchase

I need some quick advice on a G4 purchase
murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2001, 12:38 PM

Hey guys,

As you know I have just sold my iMac and am looking around for a G4. I just had this one come up, and have an opportunity to grab it today if I want. I'd like to hear some comments on what you think of the deal, and if it's a smart move right now to grab it.

G4 500 Dual
1 GB RAM
40 GB HD
DVD-RAM
10/100/1000 Ethernet

and a 17" Apple Studio Display

Both are refurbs and come with a 90 day Apple warranty. Apple Care is not available for refurbs anymore, so it's 90 days or bust.

I can get it for $2350 US. Withour scouring eBay for past auctions, I thought I'd come here and get some advice from some in-the-know Mac users. It seems like a sweet deal to me. What do you think, should I grab it up? (I have seen good res photos of each item and cosmetically they are fine)

Thanks!

------------------
[removed at the request of Apple Legal]

Xaositect
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2001, 12:43 PM

1GB RAM?

Get it.

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2001, 12:44 PM

Dude...
2350.00 for the Mac AND monitor?
If you've got the cash, JUMP!!

I paid 2500 just for my DP 500 last fall, then another 3-400 to get it up to a Gig o' RAM and I'm still happy at the cost. Have had no trouble with my DP, even overclokked to 550(voided warranty after the first month). Screw it, I'm an electronics tech, anything breaks I can fix it myself.

nine11always
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2001, 01:32 PM

Jump on it!!

murbot  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2001, 01:59 PM

My only concern is that it's a refurb and only has the 90 day warranty. The other things that have been mentioned to me are the slower bus speed - 100 MHz vs. 133 MHz, and the graphics difference - 2x AGP vs. 4x AGP.

With a new one I could get a 3 year warranty and a CDRW, could uprade to a better video card down the line a little easier ...

Of course a dual 533 runs at 2499, plus 499 for the 17" ASD.

So it's $2475 for the DP 500 (with shipping), $3000 for the new DP 533, both with a 17" ASD.

I know the 500 comes with 1 GB of RAM, but really, I will probably not really need that much for the work I do. I can upgrade the DP 533 to 1/2 a gig for a few bucks over $100 and that would be a ton for me.

I guess the question is this - is it worth $525 to get a brand new machine with a faster bus, faster graphics, a CDRW, and a one year warranty?

------------------

TheDoctor
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2001, 02:16 PM

It's not so much the refurbed computer that would bother me, but the refurbed monitor. There have been reports that certain parts of the Apple CRT's are prone to failure and not having AppleCare for them seems like asking for trouble.

The dual 500's are really great computers, on the other hand. Sure you have one less PCI slot, a slower bus, and only a 2x AGP card, but you gain a RAM slot, you have a sound input jack, and you can use slightly less expensive PC100 RAM instead of PC133, not to mention the DVD-RAM.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2001, 02:41 PM

Murbot,

I was in your place about a month ago. I ended up going with a new Mac over a refurb because I knew that the new G4 would have a longer useful lifespan. I wanted the cd-rw, the 4x AGP slot, the faster system bus, and the better pci bandwith. If you have the money, go with the new machine. Oh well, that's just my $0.02USD.

------------------
"It is better to have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy" Tom TBone-existential blues
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

mojojojojojojo
Apr 19, 2001, 04:04 PM

I wouldn't even consider the 17 '' Apple Studio Display for $500. Yeah it looks good but you can get a phat 19'' for the same price...it makes big difference in my opinion. Once you go to a 19", you'll never want to look at a 17" again (never mind an iMac's pathetic 15)

beefytron
Apr 19, 2001, 04:53 PM

mojojojo(...) brings up a really great point. apple's 17" crt looks good, but it's overpriced. sony sells some really nice looking (and kinda VAIO-ish) 17" and 19" crts with a color scheme that is pretty close to a g4 case. i think the 19" is somewhere around $400USD, which makes it cheaper (and larger!) than the apple model. the sony also has 4 usb ports (if you're into that kinda thing) and no stupid adc connector.

at the very least, take a look around before you grab an apple monitor. they're great, but you can find a better deal.

beefytron

murbot  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2001, 06:19 PM

Thanks for the inputs guys - one thing though, is there a difference in quality between these Sony monitors and the ASD since the Apple one is a digital signal and the Sonys use VGA?

I have a feeling this might be a really stupid question, please excuse my ignorance in monitor technology!

------------------

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2001, 07:19 PM

I know some people consider these trivial, but I've come to really like some of the simple advantages that come with the Apple 17" monitor.

Sure the sucker looks slick, but mostly I like being able to power on and off my Mac from the monitor. Also, not having an extra outlet used up (ADC monitors get their power from the Mac) and the integrated two port USB hub are both very handy since I sometimes move my Cube and have USB speakers. But as pointed out, you end up paying handsomly for these benefits. I can't speak for the Sony screen, but the dot pitch apiture and clarity on the 17" Apple monitor is the best I've ever owned.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy your new Mac!

murbot  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2001, 02:13 PM

Thanks for all the tips guys!

------------------

wumeng
Senior User
Apr 21, 2001, 04:30 AM

Originally posted by murbot:
Both are refurbs and come with a 90 day Apple warranty. Apple Care is not available for refurbs anymore, so it's 90 days or bust.
Well, my only concern would be that if Apple has stopped offering AppleCare for refurbs, that might well mean that they know something you don't! Caveat emptor...

PowerBookDude
Apr 21, 2001, 09:01 AM

So which model did you buy murbot?

------------------
PBDude

PeteL999
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2001, 09:02 AM

what'd you decide on....is this your fourth machine?
Are you or are you not the black angel of death

murbot  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 21, 2001, 09:26 AM

I was one click away from buying a DP 533 yesterday afternoon at the Apple Store. Since the money order didn't show up yesterday for my iMac sale, it won't be here until Monday.... I am sure there is no problem, but it gives me an excuse to wait a few days. I'll feel better if I wait until the money is in my hands before buying a second machine.

I also read about Apple's special event on May 1, and Jobs' comment on how Apple is going to break away from only releasing hardware at Expos. Seeing as how it's only 9 days away now, I just couldn't order anything with the possibility that new stuff is only a week and a half away. Just my luck the computer would arrive at my door the day after they announce an all-dual line up!

So I am still waiting to see what happens in the next little while. If no changes are made to the current G4 lineup I think I'll be ordering a DP 533.

------------------
[Removed at the request of Apple Legal]

[This message has been edited by murbot (edited 04-21-2001).]

PowerBookDude
Apr 22, 2001, 09:03 AM

Keep us posted!

------------------
PBDude

Forum Links
Forum Rules