Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Cracked Macbook, repair ideas? *PICS*

Cracked Macbook, repair ideas? *PICS*
ApplCmptrDood
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2008, 02:01 AM

Hey all,
I had the bad experience of a Macbook tumble, falling out of my backpack (forgot to zip up the laptop compartment), and it cracked. Still working, I decided to live with it. However, things have gotten pretty bad as of late. I apologize for my bad photography skills, but i think the point still gets across. Because of the glossiness of the Macbook, I could not get a picture without reflections from light in the area. The corner with the IR sensor is cracked with a bit of plastic missing from where the edges join in the same area. Where both palms usually rest there is some plastic missing, as well as on the other sides, were the Macbook was not hit, oddly. There is also the main problem area, which is with the right bezel. the little plastic bits holding the bezel in popped out, and have proved impossible to get back in (by my attempts). This results in the computer being closed at a slant. Also, I'm not sure if this happened before the fall, but I have been having the problem of the computer randomly waking up from when I put it to sleep, and it does not sleep on closing or opening. The only workaround I have found is making it so a password is required, so it shuts down after a shorter period of time. Anyway, here are some pics. Any ideas on what I should do? How much would it cost to repair this?

( Last edited by ApplCmptrDood; Jan 28, 2008 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Pic warning in title)
Apparently, I'm a sig violator. I feel honored. Oops.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 07:37 AM

Try taking some pictures that are in focus.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 08:24 AM

Your point isn't really getting across with those pictures. Only the 2nd to last one shows damage as far as I can see.

As for cost to repair, I suspect you'll not get a terribly accurate price here, and you'd be better suited to call apple and/or bring it into one of their stores. I can go out on a limb and say it will probably be expensive and if the panel is damage, the cost may be half (or more) of a the macbook. That is of course a complete guess.

ApplCmptrDood  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2008, 09:46 PM

Sorry about my bad picture taking skills. would it really cost that much to put in new plastic around the edge of the screen?
Apparently, I'm a sig violator. I feel honored. Oops.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 10:42 PM

Let me guess, camera phone? Seriously, Dood, borrow a friend's camera that has macro capabilities and take some clearer shots. I'm guessing you need a bezel but it's really hard to tell. Anyway, check out ifixit for a guide on how to take your laptop apart. They also may have what you are looking for parts-wise. Or maybe google the part you need once you figure out what it is.

Forum Links
Forum Rules