Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > How do I secure my network using WEP?

How do I secure my network using WEP?
nine11always
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2008, 12:09 AM

I know this should be easy, but I cannot seem to figure this out.

I use a 10-digit hex number when I'm logged into my router (D-Link VWR). There are four keys where I can input this number. I do so, but after a page refresh it still says there's no security.

When I try using the network control panel, it won't accept the same hex key.
I'm using a Linksys Wireless-G PCI card in my Mac and I'm on 10.3.9

Thank you for any help you can provide.

-FM

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2008, 02:01 AM

Oh boy you're going to get some emphatic replies.

The short answer is that WEP is like locking the front door to your home with masking tape or chewing gum and no physical lock. It may make you feel like you're doing something, but it will only deter the least capable among those who want to walk in. WEP is said to be crackable within seconds by a variety of easily obtained tools. WPA is what you want for security.

But as for not being able to connect, have you tried putting a $ in front of the WEP key when attempting to establish the connection?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

nine11always  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2008, 02:20 AM

yes, I'm actually trying to do WPA, and thought I almost had it.
Can you confirm this:

I not only need to make changes within the router, but laso in my network control panel. Is this correct?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2008, 08:14 AM

of course.

If you change the lock, everybody who wants in needs the new key.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 13, 2008, 08:19 AM

To set up your network to run using WPA encryption, you first configure your router to use WPA. Create a good passphrase-your 10-digit WEP key is NOT sufficient. Make it at least 25 characters, and MAKE IT RANDOM. There has only been one exploit that defeated WPA, and it attacked weak, short passphrases (those that were only a few characters long and that included real words). I am using a 63 character random ASCII passphrase and it works well.

It's easy to use long, complex passphrases too-find a site that makes random keys (like this one) and have it create a bunch of 63 character keys that include letters (upper and lower case), numbers, and punctuation. Copy them to a text file. Save that text file to a USB stick. Now all you have to do is select one of your new keys and copy/paste it wherever you need it. If you need more explanation, let me know and I'll provide it.

Once your router is set up, all you need to do on your computers is, once they see your network, provide the passphrase when prompted to. Again, the copy/paste bit works great for this-no typos, quick and easy. Your network control panel or preferences on your computers don't need any alterations.

Let me know if this helps.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2008, 08:26 AM

I'm thinking he'll need to have the computer "forget" the network, else it'll try to connect using the old password and just give an error?

nine11always  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2008, 12:17 PM

Thanks ghporter (and everyone else),

I'll def. use the random 60+ key from that site, or perhaps make one up.
When I was trying to do this last night I seemed to get through the router portion of the process, but when I was doing the settings in the control panel, it asked for a username, which other than the admin name I gave the router, have no idea what it meant.

I'll spend more time with it tonight.

On the same topic, my wireless seems to run pretty slowly at times... could that be that others are hooking onto my signal, therefore "diluting" the available strength of the signal? I live an in apartment building so I'm sure there's lots of peopple jumping on my wireless.

Thanks again!

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 14, 2008, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
I'm thinking he'll need to have the computer "forget" the network, else it'll try to connect using the old password and just give an error?
Good point. The list is under the Advanced options in the AirPort section of Network Preferences...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules