Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod touch + Skype

iPod touch + Skype
PaperNotes
Jan 21, 2008, 07:47 AM

Say Skype releases a client for the iPhone and iPod touch after the SDK comes out, does the touch have any way to input sound from a microphone or third party hardware like the iPods have had?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2008, 10:00 AM

Yes, the headphone connector on the Touch has sound in capabilities. Source.

I predict that come summer we'll have third party headsets and a working Skype application. This would rock my world.

PaperNotes  (op)
Jan 21, 2008, 11:44 AM

Making wifi phonecalls is what will sell an iTouch to me. I'm not in the market for an iPhone at all. I would rather pick up a cheapo mobile with a pay as I go SIM.

Naplander
Senior User
Aug 21, 2008, 11:37 AM

The wait for an official Skype client for the iPhone is getting really annoying.

Or am I missing something?

I would have thought they would have been first out the gates with this.
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

gradient
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2008, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Naplander View Post
The wait for an official Skype client for the iPhone is getting really annoying.

Or am I missing something?

I would have thought they would have been first out the gates with this.
Considering the potentially MASSIVE financial blow it would be to the cell carriers, I'm not surprised and would actually be shocked if there ever were a VoIP application for the iPhone. I also don't see Apple wanting to let Touch users make phone calls - they want you to buy an iPhone for that.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2008, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Yes, the headphone connector on the Touch has sound in capabilities. Source.

I predict that come summer we'll have third party headsets and a working Skype application. This would rock my world.
Check your source there, I believe they're referring to using the Dock connector, which would require something like this: http://ipod-touch-apps.blogspot.com/...dd-on-now.html

As far as I know there's not the third line-in ring on the headphone port, which means you can't simply plug a pair of iPhone headphones into the touch and use the microphone, as you seemed to indicate.

Naplander
Senior User
Aug 21, 2008, 11:50 AM

There is a VOIP client for the iPhone already:

http://www.truphone.com/

But I'd rather have an official Skype client. Apple have said that they have no issues with the iPhone being used for VOIP, so I don't see why Skype aren't forthcoming.....
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

bluedog
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2008, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
Making wifi phonecalls is what will sell an iTouch to me. I'm not in the market for an iPhone at all. I would rather pick up a cheapo mobile with a pay as I go SIM.
You can do voice phone calls via a pay-as-you-go with your iPhone 2.5 after your jailbreak and unlock it. The phone has a built-in camera/speaker/microphone/external volume control AND the ability for bluetooth headset for phone use (it doesn't work well for music or other audio playback via bluetooth yet. I suspect a firmware rev will update that, but no guarantees.

Unless you need the 32GB storage, the 16GB previous gen phone is a dream to use. I bought an ATT gophone and it works very well putting its sim into the iPhone after patching it up via the necessary software. It should also work with T-Mobile in the US or other GSM carriers around the world.

If you are willing to consider the unlock as a minor inconvenience or you are not concerned about following a 'terms of use' for the hardware you bought, its a great option. Come to think of it, if you are willing to jailbreak you may find someone has released an unsanctioned application to run Skype via Cydia or the Installer.app once you've jailbroken your iPhone/iPodTouch.

This DRM stuff and negotiating with you on how to use an item you purchased is beginning to be just nuts.
( Last edited by bluedog; Aug 22, 2008 at 10:05 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules