Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Help-iMac No Longer Sees Shared Printer

Help-iMac No Longer Sees Shared Printer
raf66
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2009, 09:29 PM

Hi everyone. I have an iMac on one floor of my home and I have, for the past 11 months, wirelessly printed to my HP laser printer which is connected to a Win computer on another floor of my home. The printer is shared on the network and another Win computer in my home can still print to it wirelessly but in the last 2 weeks or so my iMac no longer sees the printer. I've not done anything differently that I can point to that may have caused the change. It just doesn't seem to be communicating with my wireless network anymore, at least as far as finding shared printers goes. I'm still connected to my wireless network in order to share my dsl router/internet service provider.

Any ideas how I could try to "find" the printer (or my Win computer)?

Thanks and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
20" Aluminum iMac with Snow Leopard, 2.66 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB internal HD with Verbatim 320 GB External HD with firewire; 8 GB iPod touch

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2009, 11:24 PM

Ok, so troubleshooting technique #1: reboot all computers and power cycle the printer.

Did you try that ?

-t

raf66  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2009, 06:56 PM

Thanks for the reply turtle. I did try that technique first with no success. When I click on the hardware section of system preferences and choose printer & fax, I can click on the plus sign to add a printer, I then go to the Windows function across the top (i.e. Default Fax IP Windows) and it finds my wireless network and the Win computer that the printer is attached to (and shared from) but DOESN'T find the printer.

This just has me puzzled. Thanks again.
20" Aluminum iMac with Snow Leopard, 2.66 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB internal HD with Verbatim 320 GB External HD with firewire; 8 GB iPod touch

fred44l
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2010, 02:17 PM

I have the same problem
in order to be able to print, I have to disable the firewall on my macbook air.
the firewall on my win-pc, is also turned off
in the os x firewall it is possible to enter software that should be trusted by the firewall.
what application do I have toe enter, in order to print freely, with the os x firewall normally enabled ??
thkns

Forum Links
Forum Rules