Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MOSR claims new iBook in a few weeks

MOSR claims new iBook in a few weeks
BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2001, 07:44 PM

http://www.mosr.com claims an Apple event within the next month will intro new iBooks with larger screen, smaller/lighter body, and 100Mhz bus.

Place wagers your wagers here.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2001, 08:00 PM

Meader really gives us what we want. When I'm depressed about the state of the Mac, I simply head over to MOSR to cheer me up.

Seriously, if Apple managed to introduce a significantly improved iBook in May, this would be perfect timing for the back-to-school buying season. Colleges typically send out information about available systems to new students in June. In addition, a new iBook now would not detract from the grand rollout of a new iMac at MWNY in July. A solid new iBook, smaller and lighter with a bigger screen, would certainly be a big hit if it were released before the end of May.

You all know how reliable MOSR is. But you also know how badly Apple needs to revamp the iBook. It's still at a bus speed of 66Mhz and the 800x600 12.1" screen will be too small for OS X.

My vote is for new iBooks before MWNY in July.

Escher

------------------
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Let's have a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook with AirPort and 5 hour battery life now!
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

macusrX
Apr 10, 2001, 09:56 PM

i am going to agree also here. we will see iBook before MWNY. there are a lot of new product rumors flying around right now and they all can not be for MWNY. iBook is the last product to have been updated, so it makes sense to see it soon. when? who knows. MOSR would have u believe it is a special event. i am thinking a new iBook will be at the WWDC in May or at NECC in June. steve would love to show the edu market that Apple is still behind them, and what better way than with a new iBook to show off!

zippy50
Apr 11, 2001, 05:50 AM

I am also going to agree. The iBook is due for a new model -- and the education market is where Apple should aim -- and now is the time. I work for one of the large resellers. Think I'll do some snooping today to check on available stock and how we have them classified. I sure hope there's a new one with a bigger screen coming.

zippy50
Apr 11, 2001, 07:27 PM

Did some snooping at work today. no problem with delivery of iBooks, and they have not been designated "end of line" -- which is what happened to the iMacs just before Tokyo. So, my answer is a definite I don't know yet.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2001, 08:20 PM

...MOSR claims lots of things. And, of course, the "reliability" of those claims is evidenced by all of the "fan" sites dedicated to the page.

PS- Anyone know if www.mosr.net will ever be updated again?

pathogen
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2001, 02:47 AM

I would like Apple to stir it up with the release.

I mean, introduce the new ibooks like other PC retailers do... just make a big hoopla in the media and push them out.

Why do we have to wait for big stage demos all the time? It wasn't always that way...

Besides, I'm sure Steve could corral the faithful to any tech conference he picks blindfolded.

[This message has been edited by pathogen (edited 04-12-2001).]
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

jamesbondsv
Apr 12, 2001, 08:28 PM

I hope Apple will make an iBook commercial this time.

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Apr 13, 2001, 01:09 AM

F-MOSR.
You will see an iBook sooner than May.
Guaranteed.

Speed

zippy50
Apr 13, 2001, 05:51 AM

I sure hope the rumors are true. I've certainly seen no evidence in our store that a new model is coming. I'll keep checking every day on status of orders and selection. So far we're strong in stock and no delay on orders. A guy on MOSR, who claims to be on the inside, swears it ain't gonna happen. Hope he's wrong.

hayesk
Apr 13, 2001, 06:05 PM

My iBook has been "in the shop" for 8 weeks waiting for a logic board replacement. (the video out jack broke) :-( Apple Service (in Canada) claims they're waiting for the board. I'm guessing availability is becoming very scarce. It'd better be, anyway. ;-)

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2001, 06:01 PM

MOSR is just hedging his bets.

Look at this way, it has been EIGHT MONTHS since the last revision iBook at Paris. Based on that alone, a new iBook is well overdue.
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2001, 04:50 PM

The iBook rumors are escalating. Can they be true??? HMMMM

------------------
It's a crazy world you humans live in...
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

WinsOBoogi
Senior User
Apr 21, 2001, 05:28 PM

I sincerely hope so! I've been waiting for the new iBooks for months. My G3 Beige is nearing its end, and I need a college computer. Imagine that...no "it's my turn on the computer" crap anymore! I can almost FEEL the new iBooks in my hands...I'm salivating! I've already named the thing "Demmie," and I'm making the first partition "Al" and the second "Joe".

I wonder if there'll be new colors...I hope they don't "retire" graphite...

x user
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2001, 07:11 PM

I can hardly wait...
----------------
I read, therefore iBook

Yesterday it worked
Today it doesn't
Windows is like that

xyber233
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2001, 11:35 AM

I think the ibooks at the apple store are temporarily unavailable. Hmmm...

------------------

The Apple Youth

yhsu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2001, 01:54 PM

- iBooks temporarily unavailable @ the Apple Store
- vendors reporting low iBook inventory
- May 1 Apple Event

Hmmmm is right... a refreshed iBook within a week? I'd say YES.

------------------
Cheers,
Yuta
Cheers,
Yuta

zippy50
Apr 24, 2001, 07:11 PM

from what the rumor sites have been posting -- it sure sounds like a new iBook is in the works. I'm just disappointed if what they are saying is true -- and the screen size stays the same. I love my iBook, but as my eyes get older, this screen gets smaller. I was really hoping for a larger screen.

Gametes
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2001, 06:37 PM

Well, sorry grandpa, but you should probably get some new glasses or a big monitor. As I get older, I get sick of lugging around a 6lb notebook that is wider, taller, longer, and deeper than a computer with twice the specs.

Same screen, smaller frame.

------------------
you are not your signature
you are not your signature

NateMarg
Apr 25, 2001, 09:45 PM

Judging by the shape of the average American, maybe there shuold be a law requiring all laptop computers to wiegh AT LEAST 15 lbs

I don't feel that weight is that important. A good sized textbook usually weighs 5 or 6 pounds... besides how far do you really carry a laptop on an average day? From the house to the car, car to the office and back? I know some people carry theirs a lot more but 6 lbs just isn't much weight!
QS 733 - 640MB 40GB
iMac DV 400 - 384MB 40GB
iBook SE 366 - 320MB 6GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules