Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > TiBook Quality?

TiBook Quality?
mkd
Apr 8, 2001, 04:11 AM

I love my iBook (SE 466) but it's a pile of crap!!!!!!!! I've had it for 4 monthes, and THE HARD DRIVE HAS HAD TO REPLACED 3 TIMES AND THE DVD DRIVE ONCE!!!!!!! AHHH! I worked my butt off all summer for this thing, and it's falling apart! Apple needs get their act together!

My dad works for CSUS (California State University Sacrenemto) and they are switching to PCs because 30% of the Macs they baught have had hardware problems!!!

I suggest getting APPLE CARE!!! (Once one year has passed, your screwed!)

Has the TiBook started falling apart for anyone yet?

-Morgan Davis
-Morgan Davis
AIM: RobinHoodX333

Cipher13
Apr 8, 2001, 07:01 AM

Yeah, Apple QC has really slipped since STEVE came back.
As has build quality, funcionality (form comes first), etc...
*sigh*

To answer your question - I've heard of many TiBooks that CAME pretty badly put together, let alone tha got that wayt after time...
Ah well.

------------------

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2001, 09:14 AM

I honestly think it comes and goes in batches, because i've bought hundreds of macs and they will come in groups of bad ones, other than that they are excellent. Must be some pissed of apple assembly line worker :-)

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2001, 09:16 AM

one more thing, if you think that's bad you should see the computer store i work in, we get bad pc all the time, alot more fequently than macs as far as DOA computers go.

sos10
Apr 8, 2001, 11:44 AM

What a nice logo, so tastefull!
Anyway, I have bought 4 Macs since Steve came back, none of them had any problems whatsoever, including the Ti.

Darkmoor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2001, 12:39 PM

I bought a G4 Desktop last February and a TiBook 6 weeks ago. Neither have had any hardware problems except the G4 Desktop had to get a new ATi Rage card because the fan went. That isn't even made by Apple. I'm not saying Apple hasn't had problems. I seem to be lucky with my TiBook having none of the problems everyone else has mentioned, (except for the screen marks). With all the Macs I've owned (about 11) the hardware has always been virtually problem free.

deeperhue
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2001, 12:54 PM

The implication that QC was good before Jobs came back is ludicrous. When Amelio was head honcho, they had machines left and right that were bad. I remember reading his book, and he said something like the 7300 or something (I don't know the exact model, another problem Steve has fixed) wouldn't run the current OS at the time. Just wouldn't do it. Crashed every time. And they SHIPPED it. Or what about that one powerbook that liked to burst into flames?? Think Steve would let that through today? Doubtful. Sure the Cube gets some 'lines' in its casing but hell, the damn thing's made out of Lucite. My PBG4 came perfect, and still is (I hate saying this, but I do have that damn battery problem, and it really irks me, but it's the only thing wrong. I just wish 1-800-SOSAPPL was available on the weekends.)
-kev

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2001, 09:45 PM

Well, they are made by Quanta in Taiwan, since outsourcing saves cash for Apple. Their manufacturing plants produced machines that were generally more solid and stable. Almost all major computer manufacturers (Apple, Compaq, and Dell to name a few) have their notebooks outsourced.

My Ti came with misaligned screws and a white border (but that's been discussed already, so I rest my case about the white boarder). Those are the only defects my machine came with.

t_hah
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2001, 10:06 PM

I bought several computers from Apple in the past. My last three were all PowerBooks. I had a 333 Lombard, then a 500 Pismo and now I own a Ti 500.

On the Lombard the DVD decoder card (it was a BTO) died in the second week. I called Apple and they said that it would take them about two weeks to fix it. They sent me a box next day, and I received my computer back in about two days....I was very surprised about how fast they were. I had no problems with the Lombard after that.
The Pismo was awsome. No problems.
The Ti is a wonderful machine...I just wish the battery shut-off issue would get fixed.

I do think that computers coming from Apple are higher quality that others. Thinking about some of my friends, who had to spend sometimes months waiting for Dell or Gateway to fix their problems, I think I am pretty lucky and very happy with Apple.

t

milhouse
Senior User
Apr 9, 2001, 12:53 PM

I've never had significant issues with Apple products and I've owned about a dozen in all. My Ti is actually waiting for me at home (just delivered).

The quality issues discussed here are a glimpse into the future of mass production. Globalization, harmonization, standardization, NAFTA, etc are all means to increase process efficiency and profits by producing higher "quality" (quality does not simply mean fewest "user reported defects",unfortunately) products for a target market. We are being increasingly "bred" to be consumers oF specific products. The emerging digital economy is making it easier for corporations to better quantify our buying patterns and develop products just for "us" which includes much tailored marketing hype as well.

This is the future face of our "new world order". Get used to it.
"-Dodge This"

PMG4DP
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2001, 01:13 PM

I got my TiBook about 5 days ago and it works great. No dead pixels,no hard drive problems, no battery problems either. Airport is somewhat to be desired...but i think thats OS X. I got better reception under OS 9.

As for the quality...best laptop i bought in a long time...mac or PC.
"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt." --GWB

PMG4DP
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2001, 01:14 PM

woo! My first double post..i feel so special.

[This message has been edited by PMG4DP (edited 04-09-2001).]
"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt." --GWB

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2001, 01:43 PM

The only Apple product I've had problems with was the MultiScan 15 tha came with my old Performa. On one occation, the red would flicker on and off. Apple fixed it for free. However, it also had a problem where the right speaker would come on and off. Annoying. Finally, it would have spells where the entire image would compress into one broght line running horizontally in the middle of the screen.

------------------
Fyre4ce

"I need a vacation." - Terminator robot
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

TAZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2001, 02:10 PM

Over the past few yearsI have had a few Macs and PC's and by far I have had more problems with PC's. My old 6360 still runs after sitting in the closet for well over 3 years after never having been turned off for another 3. My HP blew its power supply the first month. The new TiPB I picked up Friday looks like it was put together well (date of MFG 3/20), no misalignments, no dead pixels. Havent had the battery pop out yet and I have moved it around quite a bit during use. I am however pretty carefull. The problems are that NOBODY does pilot runs at their factories anymore. It costs too much to have a real run so they do a handful and consider it a done deal. The bean counters and statisticians only care about the bottom line and they are willing to bet that the problems encountered will be fewer than the costs of a true pilot run. Welocme to the wonders of bottom line acounting and statistical modeling.

paterss
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2001, 03:21 PM

I also have owned some 8 or so Apple machines, from a Duo230 through 8500 (still going strong) G3 BW and Pismo. I have had no issues with the machines at all.

An I will be buying a Ti - I am just hoping the price softens a bit first ;-)

Smart people learn from their own mistakes.
Very smart people learn from other peoples mistakes.

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2001, 05:45 PM

I agree this thing about QC being bad is crap. Of the 24 new iMac/G4/Cube/Ti I've received this last 6-months, NONE of them have had a single problem.
I think like all things, there are bad runs. To Apple's credit, I've never had trouble when something does come in bad shape.

Scott

PS - I take that back: the Ti Book has the battery issue that other's have reported. The fix of adding shrink-tubing works though...

[This message has been edited by slboett (edited 04-09-2001).]

yhsu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2001, 02:41 PM

I've had my TiBook 400 for a month of heavy daily usage, and so far no problems whatsoever. VERY Happy I am, mmmmmm.

------------------
Cheers,
Yuta
Cheers,
Yuta

NONE!!!
Apr 10, 2001, 07:24 PM

Same here, I love my Tibook. I bring it to school and use the university network (at 300-400k/sec).

I have one stuck red pixel however. I hardly ever see it except when i play a dark dvd or game. Can anyone tell me about that massage technique?

fobside
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2001, 07:41 PM

just gently rub the area with the stuck pixel. hopefully itll "unstick" itself.

------------------
I used to use a PC.

NONE!!!
Apr 10, 2001, 07:46 PM

how ''gently'' ? Should i see waves on the screen? Is there a risk of braking it? How long should I rub it?

iMan
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2001, 09:19 PM

Hello Everybody,

I have baught 2 macs both were designed after Steve came back. My iBook SE and my Dual 450 PowerMac have performed like champs!!! The only problem I have had was some dirt in the iBook but I haven't sent back even though I have AppleCare. I just use it to much. The only other product I have would an AirPort base station which makes my third mac product and it is wonderful.

I plan to get a TiBook after its next Revision. I hope it works well like my other machines.

I have been very happy since I converted from the DarkSide.
Nick Fleming
[email protected]

Ti PowerBook - 1000/512/60
iPod 30 GB

dcantrel
Apr 12, 2001, 09:50 AM

I own 12 macs currently ranging from an 8500 thru two PM g4's an ibook Se and a TiG4 and can say the only machine in the last 10 years i have had to have worked on was the dvd drive had to be replaced in the Ti due to a defective laser pickup. Considering since 1984 I have owned 50 macs I would have to say thats not a bad record of service.

Forum Links
Forum Rules