Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Best place to sell my MBP?

Best place to sell my MBP?
GSixZero
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2011, 11:50 PM

I've sold a few computers with good luck on the MacNN Marketplace, but things seemed to have slowed down in there a bunch. I've heard horror stories about selling laptops on eBay and don't have the time or desire to deal with craigslist at the moment.

Can anyone suggest another sites, forums, etc where I might have good luck selling my MBP without too much strife?

ImpulseResponse

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2011, 01:43 AM

Friend. Craigslist, accepting only cash.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2011, 01:46 AM

What about Apple's recycling program?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2011, 03:06 AM

Great suggestion Andy. I knew Apple was beefing up its recycling options, but I didn't know they had a nice web interface for it. It's pretty funny they want the install discs with it. Guess that's a thing of the past going forward with Lion though. . .

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

GSixZero  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2011, 12:22 PM

Wow, that apple program does look pretty convenient, but that's a fair distance from the market value of my machine. :-/

I might be willing to sacrifice $100-$200 for no headache, but $400-$500 is another matter.

ImpulseResponse

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2011, 12:59 PM

I agree it seems rather low, but given how much laptop technology has improved in three years what do you think the actual value of your MBP is? I'm interested because my family owns two of the same model.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

GSixZero  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2011, 01:28 PM

My machine is a bit newer than the one listed above (unibody), but the program still offers less than $500. (I don't have the install disks, :-) ) I think I could get $800-$1000 for it, depending on who the buyer is. It still has Applecare, and 6GB of memory. It's certainly no speedster anymore, but it's totally functional for the things 90% of people do, and it's probably the cheapest way to get into a 15" mac notebook if that's what you're looking for.

The other issue is that I would prefer to buy the new machine, have both new and old for a couple weeks while I transition and make sure everything is how I need it, then wipe and sell the old machine. In that case, getting a $500 apple gift card after I've already shelled out to purchase a new machine doesn't help me too much.

ImpulseResponse

SSharon
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2011, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I agree it seems rather low, but given how much laptop technology has improved in three years what do you think the actual value of your MBP is? I'm interested because my family owns two of the same model.
In case anyone is wondering the value for my G4 desktop, G4 iBook, and first gen iPhone are all $0. Only the last one surprises me though.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules