Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My TiBook Nightmare (UPDATE)...

My TiBook Nightmare (UPDATE)...
jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2001, 10:24 AM

Well, I have to say I was a little shocked at the response I got (via email) to my recent post "My TiBook Nightmare".

Since posted, I have received 47 EMAILS (2 were flames from current "fanatic" owners claiming I'm a PC "mole" trying to destroy apple).

For the record, I've owned Macs for YEARS. The last PC I owned (and still own) is an original IBM PC with dual 5.25 floppy drives and 13" color monitor. It has 64k (I think) and must be booted in DOS from a floppy. The only reason I keep it is because it was RARELY used and I have it in it's original packaging in my Dad's attic (eBay here I come!!!!).

ANYWAY... the REST of the emails were from Ti owners, CompUSA employees, Mac Columnists and mac Loyalists. The most "vocal" were CompUSA employees. Many reported that they have been averaging 4-6 returns for every 10 Ti's sold and that their managers were "Pissed Off" about it. The funny thing is that NONE of the people who emailed me said their box was opened or damaged... meaning, the problems came from the factory that way. Of the compusa people writing, the majority said the returns were do to 4 major problems: 1-DVD drive malfunctions 2- Unit "damage" including screen,hinge & latch issues, 3- the infamous "shut-off" issue and 4- DOA. According to an employee in West Nyack, NY the store manager now requires the units be opened and inspected before the final sale.

Many columnists have written to me asking EXACTLY what was wrong with the units and if CompUSA gave me any trouble returning. CompUSA was Great actually... they never even questioned me... returned both with no questions asked.

Anyway, I want to thank everyone who wrote and to let them know that my situation will not deter me from getting a new mac... I'll just "wait" a bit for the bugs to be worked out. I'm sure they're rushing the folks in the plant to crank these things out... that, coupled with usual first-year glitches (CD issues, battery issues, etc.) and what I believe to be a rush to market are what is causing the problems MANY have been having.

Finally, a friend a J&R in NYC wrote this morning to tell me that they're selling Pismos like HOTCAKES because 1. they are cheap and 2. Apple "nuts" (his words...not mine) are waiting for Rev-2... hopefully in July. They actually have both the 400 and 500 in stock for those interested.

iCartman
Senior User
Mar 28, 2001, 12:10 PM

I think you are a PC mole trying to destroy Apple

God I hate the Ti fanatics. Major insecurity complex.

It sounds like you are not getting anything and waiting until the next TI rev?

------------------
respect mah athoritah!
respect mah athoritah!

Kestral
Senior User
Mar 28, 2001, 03:43 PM

That's what I'm doing. I made two major decisions in my life this weekend. One of them was to avoid being an early adopter of new technologies, the second is that I finally picked my decoration motif. It was a tough choice between antique wooden warmth and modern retro 70's Wallpaper chic. The chic won out.

jules
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2001, 03:48 PM

Yikes

mycatsnameis
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2001, 08:10 PM

Yer not kiddin' Jules. Remind me to get some dark shades b4 I head to any house warming chez Kestrel .

BGK
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2001, 11:16 PM

I'm lucky. I got one of the perfect Ti Books.

------------------
quick name your kid
http://bgkarma.cjb.net
I want the ability to sleep in the snow, if I have to. I want the ability to want to.

LY
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2001, 01:11 AM

BGK,
Nice animated gif, how did you do it?

yhsu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2001, 05:36 PM

I have to say I would do the same if I were in the same situation. Luckily, my TiBook experience has been uneventful. As much as I would've liked to have waited for the July rev B TiBooks (which hopefully will have a better video chipset, even if it's just more VRAM), I couldn't help myself The ATI Rage 128 Mobility 8 MB is plenty for my needs... can't wait to see what happens in July!

Cheers,
Yuta
Cheers,
Yuta

VRL
Senior User
Apr 1, 2001, 07:39 AM

Had the privilege of working with a TiBook (G4 laptop) this weekend. It is by far the best machine I have ever used

It is strange how some seem to have such problems - don't understand it.
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

Forum Links
Forum Rules