Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Problems with Quicktime...

Problems with Quicktime...
Dalgo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2001, 08:36 AM

I am making a program which programmatically creates frames and puts them into a new quicktime movie. All of the program is written in Cocoa, except for the parts which use Quicktime since Quicktime is Carbon-only.

The first problem that I have is that I can't compile at all because I get a number of errors that I just don't understand. For example, the first error that I get is:

main.m:30: syntax error, missing `;' after `Media'

That doesn't make any sense since the line that it flags is:

Media�theMedia;
This is just a line at the top of a block which is declaring the variable, theMedia. The funny thing is that if I replace that line with just:
Media;
Then I don't get that error. That makes no sense since Media; doesn't mean anything.

Another compiler problem that I have is that the compiler seems to forget what some classes do. For example, I got the warning:
main.m:61: warning: `NSBitmapImageRep' does not respond to `bitmapData'
Well, that flagged down the line: data = [currentImage bitmapData];
NSBitmapImageRep DOES respond to bitmapData so I don't know what was wrong.

The last problem that I have with the compiler is that it gives me other errors, the meaning of which i don not know. For example:
main.m:81: illegal expression, found `unknown'
was given to me on the line:
DisposeMovie (theMovie);

I have no idea what is wrong there. DisposeMovie is simply a function that is part of Quicktime and theMovie is of type movie.

I am using Mac OS X 10.1 and the new developer tools that came with it. If anyone has any clue as to why the compiler is flagging me down on stuff that doesn't appear to be in error, it would be nice to know.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2001, 09:44 AM

Are you sure the errors are actually on those lines?

Some syntax errors trip up compilers in really subtle ways, and they think the code with the error is actually valid. They then get confused with later code that they think should be on the same line as the actual "bad" code. Have you tried commenting the offending lines out entirely, and then trying to compile? It likely won't compile anyway (since you're commenting out a variable declaration which you're presumably going to use later), but you may see other strange-looking errors. If you do, then check the lines close to the declaration; it's possible something is wrong in the line above it.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Forum Links
Forum Rules