Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > long logout times

long logout times
LK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2002, 03:01 AM

Hi all,

New to the forums, new to OSX... so please bear with me.

Just got a new QS G4/733. Blew me away with its speed. Startup, logging in and out were all fast.

Now, two days later, I get a weird problem where it hangs (spinning beach ball) for a long time (30seconds to 2-3 minutes) when i log out, before the login menu comes up.

Happens even if I just turn on the computer and log in and out. A clue may be that the startup time is a bit longer too (sometimes it waits 15-30 seconds with the blue screen/spinning ball).

The only things I can think that I did were:

1. Attached it to my Airport base station. (and turned on file sharing, appletalk)

2. Made a couple new users for others to use the computer.

3. Copied over a bunch of files from my old desktop into my home folder.

4. Added a bunch of stuff to Classic (like for my TV tuner card which doesn't work in OSX). But I haven't used Classic much and it isn't required for the problem to happen.

Anyone have similar problems/symptoms? Or better yet, suggestions for fixing this problem. It's turning out to be quite worrisome to have to wait forever between changing users, when it didn't happen before.

Thanks for any ideas,
-LK

Tim P
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2002, 08:16 AM

Originally posted by LK:
<STRONG>
&lt;snip&gt;

Now, two days later, I get a weird problem where it hangs (spinning beach ball) for a long time (30seconds to 2-3 minutes) when i log out, before the login menu comes up.

Happens even if I just turn on the computer and log in and out. A clue may be that the startup time is a bit longer too (sometimes it waits 15-30 seconds with the blue screen/spinning ball).

</STRONG>
Hi

I have a similar problem running OS 10.1.3 on my iMac DV 400. It now seems to wait 30 secs after logging out before showing the log in screen. It never used to do this. I haven't been able to pin it down to anything I've done. I'm not in front of my iMac now, but IIRC this delay is only happening when I log out of my account, not from the kids account or the guest account I've set up.

Incidentally I have two partitions, OS X on a 4GB partition, OS 9 and users folders on a 34GB one.

Sorry not to have been any help, but you're not alone.

Tim Pentreath

Toyin
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2002, 11:00 AM

I have the same problem on my Dual 500G4. It is very inconsistent though. The only thing that I've attributed it to is Classic. I always kill the classic environment from System Preferences before logging out. This decreases the logout freeze a bit. If you use mail.app I'd also quit that before logging out. Good luck and let us know if you find anything more concrete.

Also bug Apple on their feedback page.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

diamondsw
Senior User
Mar 6, 2002, 08:48 PM

I'll bet you anything you have either the Retrospect beta or the Palm Desktop beta installed. Palm Desktop installs several login items (check System Preferences), and Retrospect installs "RetroRun" in /Library/StartupItems at each launch. One of these is known for causing the excessive logout delays. Look for these and remove them. Drove me nuts for a few weeks until I saw it posted on MacFixit.

If they fix it for you, post back here to let us know, and good luck!

[ 03-06-2002: Message edited by: diamondsw ]

LK  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2002, 02:29 PM

Hmm, i didn't install either Retrospect or Palm, but maybe one of them was pre-installed. Also, the one time i logged out last night, there wasn't this problem... so it too is inconsistent on my machine. Guess it'll take a little more hunting around.

BTW, i was not running Classic when i logged out, so maybe that's (part of) the answer.

Thanks for the input; and i'll go bug Apple when it happens again.

-LK

Tim P
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2002, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by diamondsw:
<STRONG>I'll bet you anything you have either the Retrospect beta or the Palm Desktop beta installed. Palm Desktop installs several login items (check System Preferences), and Retrospect installs "RetroRun" in /Library/StartupItems at each launch. One of these is known for causing the excessive logout delays. Look for these and remove them. Drove me nuts for a few weeks until I saw it posted on MacFixit.

If they fix it for you, post back here to let us know, and good luck!

[ 03-06-2002: Message edited by: diamondsw ]</STRONG>
Yep, it worked for me - Retrospect was the culprit! What does RetroRun actually do? Is it for use with clients rather than standalone?

Thanks

Tim

Anilam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2002, 08:48 PM

I have found that you should almost always look in Library/Application Support for the culprit when login and shutdown are slow.

Guy

Originally posted by LK:
<STRONG>Hi all,

New to the forums, new to OSX... so please bear with me.

Just got a new QS G4/733. Blew me away with its speed. Startup, logging in and out were all fast.

The only things I can think that I did were:

1. Attached it to my Airport base station. (and turned on file sharing, appletalk)

2. Made a couple new users for others to use the computer.

3. Copied over a bunch of files from my old desktop into my home folder.

4. Added a bunch of stuff to Classic (like for my TV tuner card which doesn't work in OSX). But I haven't used Classic much and it isn't required for the problem to happen.

Anyone have similar problems/symptoms? Or better yet, suggestions for fixing this problem. It's turning out to be quite worrisome to have to wait forever between changing users, when it didn't happen before.

Thanks for any ideas,
-LK</STRONG>

Forum Links
Forum Rules