Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can't enable root or change root password

Can't enable root or change root password
surfacto
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2002, 07:25 PM

This is a new TiBook and this is the first time I've tried to do this on this machine. Never had a problem before with other macs. First I authenticate, they I click "enable root user", and the operation fails. Also, the "change root password" button is greyed out even after authentication. WTF?

Anilam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2002, 09:13 PM

Have you tried booting up off of the CD and either enabling root or changing the password that way?

Guy

surfacto  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2002, 12:39 AM

Ok, now I think this is a 10.1.2 bug. I opened netinfo manager on my iMac, where root is already enabled, and I tried to disable it and I got the same error as I get when I try to enable root on the TiBook. The reason I think this is a 10.1.2 bug is that I enabled root on the iMac before upgrading the OS, and now its all F'd up. How could they have missed this one? Has anyone else seen this since installing 10.1.2? Cmon 10.1.3!

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2002, 01:05 AM

And you need root... why?

You could just sudo passwd root, but anyone that has any business using root should already know that.

The server made a boo boo. (403)

surfacto  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2002, 01:13 AM

Don't worry, I won't delete the System folder. Mainly I am just concerned that netinfo manager suddenly isn't working right, when it used to work fine. Can't enable or disable root from that window, and that sort of bothers me.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2002, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by starfleetX:
<STRONG>And you need root... why?

You could just sudo passwd root, but anyone that has any business using root should already know that.

</STRONG>
Please stop assuming that everyone who asks about enabling the root account doesn't know what they're doing.

He wants to know why he can't do it on his computer. Whether he enables the root account or not is HIS business, and doesn't need to be lectured.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2002, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by Person Man:
<STRONG>Please stop assuming that everyone who asks about enabling the root account doesn't know what they're doing.</STRONG>
Why? Almost all of the time, they don't.

<STRONG>He wants to know why he can't do it on his computer. Whether he enables the root account or not is HIS business, and doesn't need to be lectured.</STRONG>
If he is doing something for the wrong reasons, or approaching something in the wrong way, isn't it best to warn and educate him rather than wait for him to screw himself?

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2002, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
<STRONG>

If he is doing something for the wrong reasons, or approaching something in the wrong way, isn't it best to warn and educate him rather than wait for him to screw himself? </STRONG>
Warn, yes, but don't be mean about it, as so many people around here seem to be...

At least give people the information they want... don't withhold it... you can still give it with a nice warning...

Besides, we've all screwed up at some point, and gotten better for it... if people don't get to make the mistake, then they never learn. Now that UNIX is more "mainstream," we need to take a more friendly attitude about giving information to people.

Also, the only thing the "Don't log in as root" posts do (IMHO) is make it MORE attractive to people.

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: Person Man ]

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2002, 07:05 PM

double post

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2002, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by Person Man:
<STRONG>Also, the only thing the "Don't log in as root" posts do (IMHO) is make it MORE attractive to people.</STRONG>
s/people/idiots and I agree.

gaffa
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2002, 03:12 PM

Check that the account you are using is enabled as an administrator.

Cheers

Gaffa.

Forum Links
Forum Rules