Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12 inch powerbook is cooking, is this normal?

12 inch powerbook is cooking, is this normal?
bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2005, 05:54 PM

My 12 inch powerbook is running very hot

With Temperature monitor it says...

Processor Topside 63C 144F
Graphics Processor Die 57C 135F

Is this normal? I wouldn't have bothered even checking the temperature but I could literally feel the heat from the top left corner of my powerbook where the speaker is.
2.66Ghz Mac Pro 2GM Ram 160Gig HD Ati X1900XT, 24" Dell 2407WFP
13.3" Mac Book Core Duo 2GIG Ram 80Gig HD
12" PowerBook 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 60Gig HD
12" iBook 600Mhz (Late 2001) 640MB Ram 30Gig HD

ibook_steve
Mar 25, 2005, 07:13 PM

The GPU temp is about right. As for the CPU, that does seem a little warm. Mine hovers around 50 C when not in heavy use. Is your fan on? Check Activity Monitor to see what may be eating up CPU cycles and quit it if you can. Is it still hot after a reboot?

Steve

Dr.Michael
Mar 25, 2005, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by bleee:
My 12 inch powerbook is running very hot
The top left corner is the place where the heatsink is efficiently connected with the case. If your cpu and gpu are hot this place is very hot too. Thats perfectly alright because from there the heat dissipates from your powerbook to the room.

57 C for the gpu temperature is normal. It is reached with little activity on the screen. The cpu temp on the other hand is very high and it indicates indeed that somthing uses a lot of cpu power.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2005, 10:35 PM

Won't these kind of high temperatures shorten the life of the components in the Powerbook?

Dr.Michael
Mar 26, 2005, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by Spliff:
Won't these kind of high temperatures shorten the life of the components in the Powerbook?
Yes, thats true.

The loss of battery capacity is partly caused by the heat (= faster corrosion of the internal contacts). Electronic parts also age faster. I have something around 60 C/140 F in my mind as a critical limit for electronic parts. That is obviously not correct any more although I recently read that 90nm chips age faster and are more sensitive to heat.

But on the other hand, look at the older Powerbooks. The Wallstreet got very hot, the Pismo got very hot too and the Ti500s bottom was good for frying eggs. They still survived many years of heavy use.

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2005, 11:46 AM

The temperatures seem normal...
You get used to it after a while...
When i first got my PB, I was suprised at how hot it was 40C-50C...

One thing though... a lot of users say that the heat coming from the Powerbooks might have "warped" their Powerbooks...
But to my knowledge... Apple fixed the problems and there has been fewer complaints on here.
15" 2.33 MBP 2GB Ram, 120GB HD - Main Rig

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2005, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by Dr.Michael:
Yes, thats true.

The loss of battery capacity is partly caused by the heat (= faster corrosion of the internal contacts). Electronic parts also age faster. I have something around 60 C/140 F in my mind as a critical limit for electronic parts. That is obviously not correct any more although I recently read that 90nm chips age faster and are more sensitive to heat.

But on the other hand, look at the older Powerbooks. The Wallstreet got very hot, the Pismo got very hot too and the Ti500s bottom was good for frying eggs. They still survived many years of heavy use.
It was my experience with my former Ti-400 that OS X itself caused a lot more heat than OS 9. For example, under OS 9 I never knew that I had a hair-dryer in my Ti-400--when I started using OS X, I was shocked when my quiet, mild-mannered Ti-400 all of a sudden became loud and hot under the titanium collar. Under OS 9, you could put the HD to sleep, either using a RAM disk or other methods (eg using the control strip to spin down the HD.) Then, the Ti-400 was blessedly quiet. Under X, the HD rarely, if ever, spins down so that area can become very hot. The charging and power supply corner thereafter becomes very hot, graphics chip has to support all that aqua "goodness."

OS X is a whole new arena to heat issues. And yes, component life will be considerably shortened. I shudder when I hear that someone is leaving their PB on 24/7 to run SETI or as a server. The only reason for such mistreatment of your beloved family member (the beloved Mac laptop is a family member, no?) is if it's a company machine and they're gonna replace it and pay for any repairs (or if someone's rich?) Personally, I have to prolong the life of my PB as long as possible...

Anyway, I explored ways to bring down the temp on the Ti-400, such as getting the handle for lifting up the back of the Ti for more ventilation, such as putting it on a marble slab (a wonderful heatsink), etc.

For my new mini-me, I'm thinking of getting this acrylic lap-desk (or whatever you'd call it) for using the laptop in bed, etc, where the covers will insulate the bottom of the laptop and cause over-heating...

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/s...sp?T1=141+0367

Forum Links
Forum Rules