Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Video corruption w/Boot Camp XP Pro + Ati Radeon X1900XT?

Video corruption w/Boot Camp XP Pro + Ati Radeon X1900XT?
bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2006, 03:48 PM

I was reading this article on AnandTech and they said that there is video corruption in Windows XP Pro if you use the built to order Ati Radeon X1900XT does this still exist or has this problem been resolved?
2.66Ghz Mac Pro 2GM Ram 160Gig HD Ati X1900XT, 24" Dell 2407WFP
13.3" Mac Book Core Duo 2GIG Ram 80Gig HD
12" PowerBook 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 60Gig HD
12" iBook 600Mhz (Late 2001) 640MB Ram 30Gig HD

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 06:41 PM

Sounds like they were using a stock PC X1900 XT. I'm not aware of any problems with Apple's BTO card. I have no issues, at least.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Jean-Loup
Feb 7, 2007, 11:05 AM

I'm having problems

twoodcc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2007, 01:26 PM

well i can't even get windows installed!

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Feb 14, 2007, 07:34 AM

Yes, I have the same problem... I only got my Mac Pro 2 weeks ago (and it has the latest firmware), and I plugged into my 17" Apple studio display (the one with ADC connector).

I can install WinXP Pro without problem, but it only have 16 colour (yes, a mean 16 colour, not 16-bit colour!) on 800x600 resolution. Then I install Macintosh drivers, nothing changes after reboot. Try to install again, then after the reboot I have blank screen (but I know it WinXP boots OK... I can blind type in the password and I have heard WinXP startup sound)...

Need to do some research on the net to see how to fix this

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 14, 2007, 08:27 AM

I had thought this was well handled already. The Mac Pro's video card isn't as different as some might think when it comes to Windows, so it "should" work fine. With that said, it's not unheard of to have Windows goof on an install and use the "not right" driver for video. Have you tried REINSTALLING XP? That's the "first step" in working on this issue. And if you'd post which video card you have, that might help too. If Apple have started using a different model of card, it could have an effect on whether the drivers built into XP work properly.

A good solution for this would be to create a customized XP install disc (using nLite or other tool) that incorporates the REAL, "BEST" driver for the video card in your computer. You'd create the driver disc through Boot Camp, locate the video driver on it, and incorporate that into your customized XP disc. It's not a big challenge, just a bit or a chore.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Jean-Loup
Feb 14, 2007, 12:17 PM

I've found a solution, I think. If you go to ATI's website, and download the ATI drivers (catalyst???) do the install, it will give you a .NET Framework error but upon restart it should work ok. Give it a try and let me know. The only problem I still have is that Splinter cell double agent crashes more oftewn since I've had the 1900...as oposed to the 7300...but the improvement in graphics makes it worth it even though.

Let me know if this fixes it for you.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2007, 01:29 PM

I bought the X1900xt from apple - not part of a BTO but afterwards. I assume its the exact same card. I'm not having problems on my MacPro. I had windows XP on it (no corruption) and now I have Vista and again no issues.

Mike
Michael

Jean-Loup
Feb 14, 2007, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I had thought this was well handled already. The Mac Pro's video card isn't as different as some might think when it comes to Windows, so it "should" work fine. With that said, it's not unheard of to have Windows goof on an install and use the "not right" driver for video. Have you tried REINSTALLING XP? That's the "first step" in working on this issue. And if you'd post which video card you have, that might help too. If Apple have started using a different model of card, it could have an effect on whether the drivers built into XP work properly.

A good solution for this would be to create a customized XP install disc (using nLite or other tool) that incorporates the REAL, "BEST" driver for the video card in your computer. You'd create the driver disc through Boot Camp, locate the video driver on it, and incorporate that into your customized XP disc. It's not a big challenge, just a bit or a chore.
I tried reinstalling XP 3 times before talking to Apple who told me they had "never" heard of this issue - allthough it's all over the net - Finally out of desperation I tried the catalyst sollution which sorta worked but now SCDA won't even boot. C++ is giving me an error.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 14, 2007, 02:23 PM

What is "SCDA"? Which C++, and what error message?

ATI's drivers should work pretty well; there are some fairly well documented options in their control panel that may be giving you some of your issues.

Finally, just because something is "all over the net" doesn't mean anyone has bothered to report the problem to Apple, nor that Apple sees it as a "problem" versus "Boot Camp is beta and none of the Windows OSs are supported" issue.

Jean-Loup
Feb 14, 2007, 07:23 PM

Ghporter, you seem awfully rude in your reply. I'm not sure if I understand why. Perhaps I am missinterpreting something in the tone of your message...I hope that's the case.

SCDA (Splinter Cell Double Agent)was refering to my last post in which I explained about a possible fix. Now when I try to boot up it gives me a C++ error.

Secondly, the issue with the 1900s is all over Apples forums...so I think Apple "knows" about the issue. There really is a weird incompatibility between some of the cards and windows. Even before booting up into windows the windows load screen acts up. The load screen flikers really fast and my second monitor does the same but with the image 1/4 the size. And they interchange their images...lol. Anyhoo...kinda hard to explain.

I'll note the C++ error message when I go back into Windows XP pro.

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Feb 20, 2007, 07:32 AM

Well, I finally got the my Mac Pro with X1900XT work properly on XP Mind you, it wasn't easy at all (compare a Mac experience!)

After my last post, I tried to fix up by try to re-boot in VGA or safe mode... neither method works. So I ended up delete the whole FAT partition (using Boot Camp Assistant and revert back to single HFS+ partition in my hard drive), and re-install my XP Pro from the ground up.

After installation completed (640x480 screen resolution, 16 colours), then I tried to install Macintosh drivers. Then I got the X1900 Windows driver from ATI web site. Try to run installer... error! So I thought I was out of luck.

Reboot my XP, and then try to run the ATI driver again. Now the installer progress a bit further... now it complain I don't have .Net frameworks (I downloaded the Catalyst driver, not the simple driver)... followed the link provided to download .Net 1.1 frameworks... now errors!! OK, let's download the simple driver and install it without the .Net frameworks... more and more errors!! This is getting redicious... let's reboot

Oh, after the reboot, I have the more colour and seems like higher resolution on the screen. After login I went to Control Panel, and check the properties: now it recognise the card being X1900, and I can change the resolution and colour to 32-bit...

I think the key problem is (as an experience Mac user) a lot of things we do in Mac for granted aren't necessary so in Windows world. Things you can do in Mac in one hit might need to perform in several steps (and perhaps reboot a few times in between). Certainly in Mac "plug and play" a Monitor/video card really means what it says, whereas in PC world you need to add "install drivers" and "reboot" several times in between.

My recommendation is: stick with Mac OS wherever is possible... there is a good reason why a new Mac doesn't come with WinXP / Vista as standard!!!!

bleee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2007, 09:12 AM

There doesn't appear to be any video corruption with the x1900XT in Windows XP mind you as one poster said you need the .Net 1.1 framework installed for the ATI drivers to install properly. I think they can be found on the Ati driver download page as well. I've even used the overclocking utility provided by Ati to run the card at it's native speed in windows because Apple underclocks the card and it seems fine.
2.66Ghz Mac Pro 2GM Ram 160Gig HD Ati X1900XT, 24" Dell 2407WFP
13.3" Mac Book Core Duo 2GIG Ram 80Gig HD
12" PowerBook 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 60Gig HD
12" iBook 600Mhz (Late 2001) 640MB Ram 30Gig HD

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2007, 09:50 PM

I've never been able to have the ATi X1900XT install properly on my installs of Windows XP. Boot Camp Drivers don't help either, even after installing the .Net Framework (1.1 AND 2.0 and all hotfixes.) I've always had to go to the ATi (now AMD) website to get the drivers.

Worked fine on first boot for me under Vista, however.
Linkinus is king.

rbonner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2007, 01:57 AM

Hello,

I am having a simular issue, but my XP install hangs just after the installer starts windows. During the install the graphics go crazy, distorted and off the screen. I have a stock X1900 card BTO from Apple in a 3Ghz Quad with 8 GB memory. I don't know of a way to insert the proper video drivers into the install for that portion of the install, so am kinda stuck. Any futher ideas would be appreciated.

Vista also worked out of the box, but until Cisco completes their VPN, I can't really upgrade.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 2, 2007, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by rbonner View Post
Hello,

I am having a simular issue, but my XP install hangs just after the installer starts windows. During the install the graphics go crazy, distorted and off the screen. I have a stock X1900 card BTO from Apple in a 3Ghz Quad with 8 GB memory. I don't know of a way to insert the proper video drivers into the install for that portion of the install, so am kinda stuck. Any futher ideas would be appreciated.

Vista also worked out of the box, but until Cisco completes their VPN, I can't really upgrade.

Thanks in advance,

Rob
I'd suspect that your XP disc is damaged, dirty, or otherwise screwed up. During install, XP uses its own, very generic VGA driver that should work for EVERY video card possible. If it's not working on otherwise operational hardware, it's almost certainly the fault of the disc itself.

rbonner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2007, 04:00 PM

Thanks for the hint, I burned a new windows XP disk, and also blew away my bootcamp partition and recreated it all with great results. I did have to boot windows in safe mode to get the Radion video driver to install properly. Now I have a 2GB 4 processor windows machine that rocks!

Rob

ScotMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2007, 01:35 PM

I am running a MBP, 17". I get the video corruption problem EVERY TIME windows does a standby (haven't tried hibernation). I tried to install the ati 7.4 drivers (latest), but it gives me an error "setup was unable to find the correct hardware to complete the install", or something to that affect.

I saw somewhere else where someone had mentioned that ATI had disabled the install if it didn't find hardware that it recognized.

Does anyone know of a workaround?

Thanks, -Scot
( Last edited by ScotMac; May 20, 2007 at 01:42 PM. )

ScotMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2007, 02:05 PM

Ok, i fixed the problem. Dumped those crap apple bootcamp display driver, and downloaded the "omega" drivers for ati catalyst 7.1 (which is the omega latest), and it now working fine. Got the "omega" drivers from :

OmegaDrivers.net - Home of the Omega Drivers for ATI & NVIDIA desktop/laptop cards. By: Omegadrive

ghporter
Administrator
May 20, 2007, 02:19 PM

I've NEVER used Windows' standby mode on ANY computer, so I don't have any experience in that direction. ScotMac, Were you able to cause this problem in any other way? Standby is theoretically the same sort of thing as putting a Mac to sleep, but as far as I can tell, not as well implemented (my desktop simply shuts down execution of applications and turns off the display; the fans and such still keep screaming). This mode requires saving the machine state somehow, and the code for that could be less than great, particularly on a Mac platform.

And I've never had any problems with the Boot Camp ATI drivers, though I can't say I've spent too much time running Windows on my MBP.

sande
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2007, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by rbonner View Post
I am having a simular issue, but my XP install hangs just after the installer starts windows. During the install the graphics go crazy, distorted and off the screen. I have a stock X1900 card BTO from Apple...
Same thing here. Seems like some people have really hard time believing there could be anything wrong with bootcamp. Yep, it worked (almost) perfectly with my MBP too - but it does not work with my MacPro and X1900XT...

Well, it's still in beta, so a couple of bugs shouldn't be a surprise and hopefully they get fixed. Of course in order to that happen, we must face the possibility that there actually may be a bug or too and everything isn't just related to dumb users and faulty discs...

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2007, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by ScotMac View Post
I am running a MBP, 17". I get the video corruption problem EVERY TIME windows does a standby (haven't tried hibernation). I tried to install the ati 7.4 drivers (latest), but it gives me an error "setup was unable to find the correct hardware to complete the install", or something to that affect.

I saw somewhere else where someone had mentioned that ATI had disabled the install if it didn't find hardware that it recognized.

Does anyone know of a workaround?

Thanks, -Scot
I do -- I just discovered it yesterday. See [solution] Install/Update Windows ATI graphics drivers for Mobility Graphics Cards. (Note that this is only necessary for laptops and iMacs. The regular Radeon cards should install the Catalyst 7.5 drivers just fine.)

Alf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2007, 02:14 AM

I'll try to make this brief since i posted the whole story elsewhere, but I had a consistent problem with 3D apps (i.e. games) in Boot Camp running Windows XP - the Mac Pro would typically freeze and reboot after a couple of minutes. This started several months ago with an update to the beta version of Boot Camp and persisted in the Leopard version. I tried a variety of updates and drivers, but nothing worked. I swapped out the card for the standard NVIDA GeForce 7300 GT card from another MacPro and the problem disappeared. Others are having similiar problem.
The other Mac Pro (now with the X1900) isn't used with Boot Camp but I notice occasional lines and other video card type noise that I never saw with the standard NVIDA GeForce 7300 GT card.
Hopefully, Apple will fix the boot camp (and other) problems with the X1900 card because it is quite a nice card in general.
I have also seen rumors of additional cards being made available soon for the Mac Pro.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2007, 09:49 AM

Weird, I've been using Boot Camp since beta in a Mac Pro with the X1900, mainly with catalyst and never had a glitch.

Forum Links
Forum Rules