Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Help! SMB still not working

Help! SMB still not working
clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2002, 06:52 AM

Well, I've upgraded to Jaguar and I was rather looking forward to the new Windows networking features... but
sadly SMB is still not working!

I can now browse my company domains freely, but when I try to connect to a server, I get a -5000 error.

I can connect to these shares using the command-line 'smbclient', which is something, but shouldn't the GUI be the easy way?

I've tried using smb://username: password@servername/share

I've tried full DNS names and IP addresses..

This is frustrating. What else can I try?

Chris

Nephron
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2002, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by clebin:
Well, I've upgraded to Jaguar and I was rather looking forward to the new Windows networking features... but
sadly SMB is still not working!

I can now browse my company domains freely, but when I try to connect to a server, I get a -5000 error.

I can connect to these shares using the command-line 'smbclient', which is something, but shouldn't the GUI be the easy way?

I've tried using smb://username: password@servername/share

I've tried full DNS names and IP addresses..

This is frustrating. What else can I try?

Chris
Hi Chris,

You've probably already tried this, but what I do is navigate to the server in the Connect To Server window, then click on the desired server so that the name of the server is in the Address window, then add /sharename (where, of course, you replace sharename with the name of the share on that server). Then I hit return. Make sure that your workspace, ID and password are all correct then hit return. Works for me.

I had been clicking on the servers and trying to log into them (the way you would with a Mac on your local network). I expected to be presented with a list of shares, etc., that I could access. I was stumped until I learned that you had to specifically add the name of the share.

Hope this helps (but based on your question, you probably have tried this and many other variations).

Cheers!

clebin  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2002, 11:49 AM

Thanks, but this is what I'm trying... it's never worked on my network. Any other suggestions?

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules