Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Connecting my Mac to my HDTV via DVI...

Connecting my Mac to my HDTV via DVI...
kupan787
Senior User
Aug 13, 2003, 10:24 PM

I purchased a 867 Quicksilver with a GeForce 3. Now I am wondering if the port on it is DVI or ADC. It is looking like it is ADC, but I want to be sure.

I am asking, because I would like to buy a cable so that I can hook up my machine to my DVI equiped HDTV. If anyone has done anything like this, the info would be helpful.

saru boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2003, 12:14 AM

Just get an ADC to DVI connector. Like this one .

tramahound
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2003, 10:23 AM

the way i understand it you can't do this with all tvs. most hdtvs have a dvi with hdcp (copy protection) which prevents a pc/mac from working on it. give it a try and report back though if you're feeling lucky. also ask around the avsforum. they'll tell you.

kupan787  (op)
Senior User
Aug 14, 2003, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by tramahound:
the way i understand it you can't do this with all tvs. most hdtvs have a dvi with hdcp (copy protection) which prevents a pc/mac from working on it. give it a try and report back though if you're feeling lucky. also ask around the avsforum. they'll tell you.
I will give it a try. I have heard that the HDCP isn't used at all yet, nad really isn't much of a conflict, but that could have been a misunderstanding on my part. I will check out the avsforum and see what I can come up with.

BTW, does anyone know of any brick & mortar stores that sell these ADC to DVI cables? Do the Apple stores sell them? I ask because I would love to be able to run in and buy one, and perhaps return it if things don't go as expected.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2003, 11:12 PM

I think he wants to use the TV as a display, not record TV shows via DVI... no copy protection issues there.

kupan787  (op)
Senior User
Aug 15, 2003, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by Person Man:
I think he wants to use the TV as a display, not record TV shows via DVI... no copy protection issues there.
Yes, correct. I don't intend to do any "TIVO" like work. I just want to use it to play games, watch DVDs, and maybe surf the net.

However, I have found that the copy protection isn't used currently (some stations are pushing to start using it soon). And I have been reading about this blue-laser device that will be able to record HDTV....

tramahound
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2003, 09:47 AM

I didn't think you were going to record anything (but if you know how to record ota hdtv via your mac let me know ), i was speaking on hdcp mainly because it's a feature of current hdtv dvi inputs. most networks don't use it yet (thought directv has tested it before on their programming), but that doesn't mean it isn't possible for it to be built into your dvi input which may create problems when trying to use it as a display using a source that also does not contain hdcp. i'd love to know if it works though. please keep us updated. and, i'm pretty sure the apple stores do carry those adapter cables. i thought i saw one at the menlo park nj one...

kupan787  (op)
Senior User
Aug 15, 2003, 01:19 PM

I didn't think you were going to record anything (but if you know how to record ota hdtv via your mac let me know ), i was speaking on hdcp mainly because it's a feature of current hdtv dvi inputs. most networks don't use it yet (thought directv has tested it before on their programming), but that doesn't mean it isn't possible for it to be built into your dvi input which may create problems when trying to use it as a display using a source that also does not contain hdcp. i'd love to know if it works though. please keep us updated. and, i'm pretty sure the apple stores do carry those adapter cables. i thought i saw one at the menlo park nj one...
I will definatly keep you guys posted.

The thing with recording, that I just thought of, is that the DVI port on the TV is an input port, and the DVI port on my mac is an output port. So I wouldn't be able to get a signal rom teh TV into the computer that way it that way. So I would need to go another route (component) and when I do the fact that the DVI port has HDCP means absolutely nothing (my dirctv box is hooked up via componect right now).

tramahound
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2003, 01:34 PM

yeah, to record you'd need to have it going from your stb (set top box) to your mac and then to the tv somehow. dvi's bandwidth is so massive though that I'm not aware of anything that could possibly record it. that's the whole point of hollywood being behind it so much. the hdcp aspect just seems redundent to me. they're so paranoid that a hdtv napster is going to take off but how is that at all realistic? anyway <dismounting soapbox>, going from your mac to the tv directly via dvi may work just fine. i do remember reading/seeing threads in the avs forum about it not working with certain tvs though. what do you have even?

tramahound
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2003, 01:39 PM

Here's a thread where somebody talks about it in terms of a pc.

kupan787  (op)
Senior User
Aug 15, 2003, 05:55 PM

yeah, to record you'd need to have it going from your stb (set top box) to your mac and then to the tv somehow.
Actually just STB to mac. no need for the TV at all I would think. I just saw this device (only in Japan currently) form Sony. It is a blu-ray DVD burner (26GBs per disk!!). It has a built in Sat tuner, and can record HDTV onto the DVDs. the DVDs can only be played back in this device (until computer based blu-ray devices are made). At any rate, the tech looks cool....

going from your mac to the tv directly via dvi may work just fine. i do remember reading/seeing threads in the avs forum about it not working with certain tvs though. what do you have even?
It is a JVC. Sorry I don't know the exact model type. The TV is actually up at my apartment right now with my roommates. I dont move in for a few weeks, but bought the TV on my last trip up. I didn't buy it for the possibility of connecting to my computer, but if it can be done that is just an added bonus.

Forum Links
Forum Rules