Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Supremely annoying shuffle behavior.

Supremely annoying shuffle behavior.
riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2005, 11:53 AM

Let's say you maintain your music library on an external drive. Let's say also, that one time you forget to plug your drive in. Plug in your shuffle. It tries to update and songs that the songs cannot be found. Cancel the update. Songs are still apparently on the shuffle.

But when you unplug it, all of your songs are gone. Grrr!

This is incredibly annoying when using USB 1 and when there is a foot of new powder out there and the lift opens in five minutes.

riverfreak  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2005, 12:11 PM

USB 1.1 and the shuffle SUCKS! Sorry, just spoiled by firewire on my old iPod.

b11051973
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2005, 03:40 PM

My first MP3 player was the original Creative Jukebox. I must have bought that 5-6 years back. I hacked it putting in a 20 gig drive(I think). The first time I loaded that thing, it took over 16 hours to load. That was USB 1.1 of course.

yongfook
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2005, 12:34 AM

riverfreak > I just experienced that same problem for the first time yesterday! I thought my iPod Shuffle was "stuck" or something but then I realised the computer had tried to update a whole bunch of songs that didn't exist (external drive not plugged in) and, well, instead of just giving up it goes and DELETES them...very strange error handling behaviour!

and yes, it is annoying. All I wanted to do was play some tunes off my shuffle from iTunes since I DIDN'T have my external HD with me.

lets hope Apple solve this with an update.
http://www.yongfook.com

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2005, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by yongfook:
riverfreak > I just experienced that same problem for the first time yesterday! I thought my iPod Shuffle was "stuck" or something but then I realised the computer had tried to update a whole bunch of songs that didn't exist (external drive not plugged in) and, well, instead of just giving up it goes and DELETES them...very strange error handling behaviour!

and yes, it is annoying. All I wanted to do was play some tunes off my shuffle from iTunes since I DIDN'T have my external HD with me.

lets hope Apple solve this with an update.
This is iPod standard behavior - something all iPods do to. iTunes will erase songs off the iPod if they are not in the iTunes library at the time. It's allegedly designed to discourage music theft. That's just the way it is.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

riverfreak  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2005, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
This is iPod standard behavior - something all iPods do to. iTunes will erase songs off the iPod if they are not in the iTunes library at the time. It's allegedly designed to discourage music theft. That's just the way it is.
I don't believe this is standard iPod behavior. Try it out. Standard iPods will not do this. At least not my 5GB or 20GB... All I know is that I'm not going to try and update my Shuffle the morning of a powder day.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2005, 11:32 PM

good to know. i had the same problem last week and decided to walk into an apple store to get help. so, they did a restore, seemed to work but now i know that wasn't the issue. so now i just sync iTunes on 3 computers, a pain in the but i like to protect all my free music.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

Forum Links
Forum Rules