Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Shapeshifter 1.0.1 - big improvement

Shapeshifter 1.0.1 - big improvement
u2zoo
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2003, 02:10 PM

Download 1.0.1

Much less resource intensive on my laptop! Good job guys.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2003, 02:15 PM

click one

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2003, 02:22 PM

I hope SS skeptics will be satisfied with the progress ...

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2003, 02:50 PM

Yay! Great update!
Edit: acqlite for one does not theme anymore. Any idea why not?
( Last edited by Stuphalina; Dec 3, 2003 at 03:07 PM. )

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

dws
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2003, 03:20 PM

Version 1.0 was fine.

Version 1.0.1 is very fine.

Expect a rash of posts claiming that the new SS hosed their systems, causes boils, will result in worldwide famine; in general, the end of life as we know it!

one
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2003, 03:46 PM

Ummm, well...how'bout I just installed SS (first time, new version) and it's already expired.

Hardly the end of the world (no boils, last I checked), but it is frustrating to be unable to try the cool new thing.

Or is it just me?
'Crime doesn't pay' - that's a philosophy....
Philosophy doesn't pay - that's a crime....

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2003, 04:00 PM

That sucks.. at least they should reset the timer with major updates (1.1).

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2003, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by one:
Ummm, well...how'bout I just installed SS (first time, new version) and it's already expired.

Hardly the end of the world (no boils, last I checked), but it is frustrating to be unable to try the cool new thing.

Or is it just me?
Just try deleting the prefs. Do a search for ShapeShifter in your home folder and delete the ones that end in .plist... This *should* work...

Seion
Dec 3, 2003, 04:36 PM

Woo Hoo!

I can re-enable ShapeShifter now!

The memory leaks were killing me in Photoshop, but now I can turn ShapeShifter back on and enjoy Aluminum Alloy again!
Normal People Worry Me.

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2003, 04:39 PM

Great stuff!
Now, is there ANY way I can pay for this over PayPal? I have some money sitting there, but not much in my regular banking account, so it would be fantastic if I could use it (and not pay a service charge and have to wait 7 days for transferring the PayPal money to my bank account...).

one
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2003, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by Bobby:
Just try deleting the prefs. Do a search for ShapeShifter in your home folder and delete the ones that end in .plist... This *should* work...
Except for the fact that this is my first install. No existing prefs, no previous-version holdovers.
'Crime doesn't pay' - that's a philosophy....
Philosophy doesn't pay - that's a crime....

Rosyna
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2003, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by Cerbero:
Great stuff!
Now, is there ANY way I can pay for this over PayPal? I have some money sitting there, but not much in my regular banking account, so it would be fantastic if I could use it (and not pay a service charge and have to wait 7 days for transferring the PayPal money to my bank account...).
We tried PayPal once. They refused to give us the money in the account. Wanted form after form after form faxed to them to prove identity. We faxed every one. Not sure what the outcome was but we dropped paypal support quickly.

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2003, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by Rosyna:
We tried PayPal once. They refused to give us the money in the account. Wanted form after form after form faxed to them to prove identity. We faxed every one. Not sure what the outcome was but we dropped paypal support quickly.
Ah, I see. Too bad
Ohwell, I'll just transfer the money to my regular account then. Just to make sure though, bank transfer is a payment option, right?

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2003, 05:29 PM

To everyone at Unsanity - Thank you

smeger
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2003, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by one:

Or is it just me?
This generally means that the APE (Application Enhancer) module isn't active. You can test this by seeing whether the "aped" process is running using either "Activity Monitor" or "top".

If you didn't reboot your machine after installing ShapeShifter, try that.

Another thing we've seen that can cause this is that some older (pre-ShapeShifter) Aqua Restore packages that were bundled as Apple Installer packages disable APE in such a way that the ShapeShifter installer doesn't detect that it's not present. I personally noticed this using the Aqua Restore Installer for the Japanese DXB theme. The fix is to remove /Library/Frameworks/ApplicationEnhancer.framework and reinstall ShapeShifter. I don't know what these Japanese Installer packages are doing, but they shouldn't be mucking around with stuff like this.

If you can't get this working, email Unsanity's support and we'll get you straightened out.

ShapeShifter 1.0.1 resets the demo period to an additional 15 days, by the way.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2003, 05:46 PM

Thanks for fixing the memory leak, but the slow password dialog bug is still there. Any idea when this might get corrected?

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2003, 06:24 PM

w00t! (Sorry, it's just one of those moments ) Just found out my bank has a "Web Card" service if you're an Internet customer. You can create a 'virtual' credit card which is only available for one purchase, and it pulls the money directly from the bank account. Awesome
I'm now a proud registered user of ShapeShifter

timdorr
Dec 3, 2003, 06:32 PM

Hope this fixes the scrolling drawing update issues I was having with Safari and other apps....

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2003, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by timdorr:
Hope this fixes the scrolling drawing update issues I was having with Safari and other apps....
Lol, that was SS that was doing that? I thought my machine was just messed up or something. Just unloaded it! Awesome.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2003, 09:13 PM

How do Jag themes work with it? I haven't tested any yet, but 1.0 was a bit lacking in it's support for Jag themes in Panther.
click one

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2003, 09:15 PM

I tried running Max's WinOSXP, and though it worked pretty painlessly, the widgets are tiny! I wonder why SS does this. Apparently it's necessary when porting jaguar themes, but I have no idea why. (SS automatically ports them on first application.)

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

tjr124
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2003, 12:41 AM

I am still running 10.2.8 and the metal window toolbar widgets are off with this release. They seem to be about half the normal size. I am trying to apply Jaguar themes to Jaguar and everything is looking really great with that one exception. I have tried it on two different computers now with the same results both times. I know the easy answer is to upgrade to Panther, and I will, but that is still about three weeks off.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2003, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by phillryu:
I tried running Max's WinOSXP, and though it worked pretty painlessly, the widgets are tiny! I wonder why SS does this. Apparently it's necessary when porting jaguar themes, but I have no idea why. (SS automatically ports them on first application.)
ya I had better luck this time too, just the widgets and missing finder buttons are the only problems with the auto update.
click one

twixster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2003, 03:45 AM

Since the last time I posted i felt somewhat obligated to try shapeshifter. I mean for one i was nocking a program that i had not even tried yet. Well, I just installed the new version of it and well what can i say, it looks no different than a lot of the themes that i liked from the so called dangerous method of GUI customizing. However, i did notice one big difference, instead of using about 2% or 3% of my processor after a logout and login, i noticed that i was closer to 10% to 12% which for me is unacceptable for themes. I remember when i would run themes the old way in jag and i would not even notice that they were there processor wise. However, that is what you get when you do all this resource editing on the fly on the processor. I have since turned of shitshifter since i still refuse to run it. Also as to the reply that i received from someone about the old method of GUI customizing, i nor anyone that i know has ever had any problems with the old way. If the right precautions are taken there is always a way to reverse the damage or just the theme. However, since i have tried nearly every theme in the book using the old method in jag, and not had any problems i just done understand why you had problems(you know who you are). Also, i have not used themes on my system since i installed Panther, mainly because i have not had time. So no i guess that i don't know the problems that are involved in the themes in panther. However, i do know that if we give it time we can still prevail in the free theme market instead of the theme for sail market. I will be trying to theme panther in about a week at which time i will let you know how it goes. Finally let me reiterate that one of the most theme able operating systems on the market is Linux, specifically not mac os x. If you really want a theme that no one else has linux is the way to go with all the different window managers and themes to go with them.

twixster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2003, 03:47 AM

Also, they forgot to reset the demo timer. In the new version you install it to find that the demo is over "today" which does not give a person a large amount of time to play with it.

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2003, 06:32 AM

Originally posted by Stuphalina:
Yay! Great update!
Edit: acqlite for one does not theme anymore. Any idea why not?
I have the same problem- I hope they'll fix this.

tinkergaloot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2003, 07:02 AM

Originally posted by phillryu:
I tried running Max's WinOSXP, and though it worked pretty painlessly, the widgets are tiny! I wonder why SS does this.
I can confirm the same behaviour with Takashi Izawa's MakkiX theme. Strange thing is they were fine with SS 1.0...

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2003, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by tinkergaloot:
I can confirm the same behaviour with Takashi Izawa's MakkiX theme. Strange thing is they were fine with SS 1.0...

I'm pretty sure this is because jaguar uses separate widgets for close/minimize/maximize in its brushed and aqua windows, while panther uses the same widgets in both window styles. The small widgets you are seeing are Mac OS XP's brushed widgets.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2003, 07:55 AM

"If you really want a theme that no one else has linux is the way to go with all the different window managers and themes to go with them."
Lets not forget the fact you have to have like 3 different types of windows on your desktop because everything needs different guis to run, the horrible interfaces designed by programmers ugh the whole things just designed by programmers and geeks who dont realise the interface is the most important thing and actually dont even know the first thing about it next to someone like apple.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2003, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by dws:
Version 1.0 was fine.

Version 1.0.1 is very fine.

Expect a rash of posts claiming that the new SS hosed their systems, causes boils, will result in worldwide famine; in general, the end of life as we know it!

OMG! It causes Boils? How nasty. Better than system crashes i guess.

-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2003, 09:29 AM

Nice job with this release.

twixster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2003, 12:52 PM

sushiism, yes there are several different window managers that you can run. Also in recent years they have become more integrated with each other, which does not require you to run three window managers. As for the gui, i actually like the linux gui better than the MacOS X gui in some respects. I would also like to point out that MacOS X is becoming more and more like Linux, and linux is becoming more and more user friendly. Also there are some very good window managers that use hardly any resources to run in linux, the are very light weight and very small. Also they don't get in your way and they have some very nice themes. The only thing that i wish that they would figure out in linux is how to use the graphics card to render some things, like transparencies. Also, i am not trying to say that one is better than the other, i use both for different things. I usually use MacOS X as my main os on my laptop, and MacOS 9 on my desktop (i don't have the money to get a graphics card that will support panther, Beige g3 upgraded several times beyond what it was meant to do).

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2003, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by twixster:
sushiism, yes there are several different window managers that you can run. Also in recent years they have become more integrated with each other, which does not require you to run three window managers ..
Twixster,

you are right about Linux GUI having come a long way in the last couple of years. Gnome2 is pretty sweet, and XFce is great (this is what i use at work). But still, you have to have GTK + windowmanager. Of course there are metathemes for Gnome, but you are still running GTK (in many cases 1 and 2) + Metacity. This is still a bit too much. And often times you run into QT apps ... So Linux is still a mess. And on top of that, sudhiism is right in saying that Linux GUI is pretty ugly. It is of course a matter of taste ... but I think most people with some artistic inclination will agree that OS X is far more refined and asthetically pleasing.

Also, I wanted to reply to your previous post - if you are having problems with SS using too much CPU, you probably have it configured wrong. My machine does not exhibit this kind of behaviour. This brings me back to the point I've stated several times here recently - that one example is not sufficient proof. You may have had no troubles with TC - well maybe you just got lucky. You ARE having troubles with SS, which I think means there's something wrong in the way you installed it. I'd ask unsanity if they could help.

twixster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2003, 03:25 PM

I would just like to point out that i have installed themechanger and the like on several different machines (close to 20) and never had any issues in Jag. As i stated i still have not had time to install and use it on Panther. I have however installed SS. However, as for installing and configuring it wrong then i don't know how to install it wrong. There is no way to install it wrong. You have just a few options install it for all the user or install it for just one user. This however will not have an effect on the amount of processor used. It installed the newest version of everything that is required for it to run as intended. Also, i was using the themes that came with it, like the halo theme that it comes with. So nothing was configured wrong. Or to put it better there is no configure available with SS, you install it, you select the theme that you want, and you can also select certain apps that you want it to ignore. Thus there leaves no room for wrong configuration. Also, in case you are wondering, i am running a PowerBook G4 1gHz with 1gig of ram with a 60 gig harddrive, with a machine like this i should not even notice that it was doing anything except for the way that my os looks. Also, i have never come across the problem of having to run 2 or 3 different window managers for all of my apps. At most i know that when i install certain programs in linux it uses the libraries from different window managers like qt but i have never installed a program that requires me to start another window manager on top of what was already started.

dws
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2003, 04:18 PM

With the machine you are running, you should not be experiencing the 10-12% CPU usage you attribute to ShapeShifter. I run SS on an iMac DV 400 and that old CPU is tasked less than 2% for the entire window management system. More modern computers suffer less of a hit.

Given the fact that you are emotionally unstable enough to refer to SS as "shitsifter"; I have to wonder if you might be lying in order to achieve some kind of anti-SS agenda. Something very odd has to be going on with you in order to generate such strong emotions.

If you are actually experiencing problems, then there is something unique to your situation that is causing your difficulties.

If SS 1.0.1 were truly taxing everybody's systems so heavily, then this forum would be filled with complaints. If SS were as bad as you claim it to be; yours would not be a lone voice of bitter discontent.

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2003, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by twixster:
However, as for installing and configuring it wrong then i don't know how to install it wrong. There is no way to install it wrong.
I don't mean SS is installed wrong, I mean that you have something else installed that conflicts with it (or APE), possibly ... I'm not even saying it's not a SS bug. I'm saying it might not be, since I do not see this effect.
Also, i have never come across the problem of having to run 2 or 3 different window managers for all of my apps. At most i know that when i install certain programs in linux it uses the libraries from different window managers like qt but i have never installed a program that requires me to start another window manager on top of what was already started.
When did I ever say anything about two windowmanagers running??? And QT has nothing to do with a windowmanager, just like GTK. But you can't run a GTK or QT program without a windowmanager. And GTK themes are not the same as windowmanager themes - that was my point ... In OS X you only need one theme. In Linux at least two.

quandarry
Dec 4, 2003, 05:49 PM

is it a big improvment as per thread title??

yes it is!

like shania twain says 'it's only up from here!'

smeger
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2003, 06:06 PM

Twixster, I don't think we've gotten any support emails from you regarding ShapeShifter. If you're having problems, please email us and we'll work to resolve them. This goes for everyone, obviously. Please don't hesitate to let us know about bugs! And please do so via email!

We can't fix 'em if we don't know about 'em!

A few other things...

ShapeShifter 1.0.1 should not use a noticable amount of extra CPU. By "not noticable", I mean that when I run "top" with ShapeShifter enabled and compare to ShapeShifter disabled (by time-averaging to avoid fluctuations), I don't see any difference. If you do, please contact us.

ShapeShifter 1.0.1 resets the demo period back to 15 days. You may need to reboot your machine for the preference pane to reflect this change. If you have problems with this, please contact us.

Panther titlebar widgets: This only applies to themes that ShapeShifter auto-updates for use with Panther. Panther changed the size of the titlebar widgets. If you were to use the older, larger size, Cocoa apps would draw them correctly but Carbon apps would space them funkily, possibly overlaying them beyond the edge of the left titlebar cap. So, here are the options: allow them to be spaced badly (very ugly), crop them, or resize them. We can't crop them because some themes put the widget graphic in the top-left corner of the available space, some use the entire space, some center them, etc. Resizing is the only available option. QED.

Panther Finder toolbar widgets: Again, this only applies to themes that ShapeShifter auto-updates for use with Panther. Jaguar used Aqua Finder windows (with Aqua toolbar backgrounds), while Panther uses Metal Finder windows (with metal toolbar backgrounds). Nearly every Jaguar theme in existence did not use transparency in their Finder toolbar buttons, instead using an image of the toolbar button that included the Aqua toolbar background. Placing these on Panther Metal Finder toolbar backgrounds consistently looked like ass, so when we auto-update themes for use with Panther, we discard the theme's Finder toolbar buttons.

As themes are updated for Panther, these last two issues will become less and less important.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2003, 06:39 PM

Smeger, I sent an email yesterday concerning my question about Acqlite. Would I get a response? If not, do you know if they got it?

Oh, and sorry if you're not the one to talk to here.
Plus, has anyone else had the problem with individual applications not themeing? I havn't tried all of mine but it seems to be just in Acqlite.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

brianwilson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2003, 06:57 PM

If you feel like not waiting for us to sift through our support box or one of the others, feel free to email me directly at brian at unsanity. (yes, we are currently backlogged a bit)

I'll get you the help you need... No, I mean I'll help you out...really, I will!

H * � �
Dec 4, 2003, 07:52 PM

Not.
I can't get 1.0.1 to even show me a preview, let alone install a theme!
I uninstalled 1.0, including APE, and all related preferences including /Library/Frameworks/ApplicationEnhancer.framework.
Reboot.
Installed 1.0.1, SS shows 'expiring today' and won't preview or install a theme.
Rebooted, now SS shows 'expired' and I'm unable to even highlight a theme.
Retry the above steps several more times, 1 hour closer to death.
C'mon, I'm trying to like this product, but it's very difficult to at this point in it's development.

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2003, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by H * � �:
Not.
I can't get 1.0.1 to even show me a preview, let alone install a theme!
I uninstalled 1.0, including APE, and all related preferences including /Library/Frameworks/ApplicationEnhancer.framework.
Reboot.
Installed 1.0.1, SS shows 'expiring today' and won't preview or install a theme.
Rebooted, now SS shows 'expired' and I'm unable to even highlight a theme.
Retry the above steps several more times, 1 hour closer to death.
C'mon, I'm trying to like this product, but it's very difficult to at this point in it's development.
have you tried deleting the preference files created by SS? Try reinstalling, then deleting preferences, then rebooting.

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2003, 11:09 PM

Mine totally works. The time was reset too! Dude, I am so getting this for Christmas!

R

eme
Dec 5, 2003, 01:53 AM

all i can say is that im glad i bought this app, it really works for me now...

thanks unsane people

H * � �
Dec 5, 2003, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by olorin15:
have you tried deleting the preference files created by SS? Try reinstalling, then deleting preferences, then rebooting.
Yes, I even deleted the cache referenced in the plist.
Nothing works, I can't view a preview or install a theme.

COBRAHQ
Dec 5, 2003, 05:36 PM

The app works great, havent had a single problem thusfar. Glad I paid the registration for this quality little beastie.

I guess some people are just unlucky... or they're running far too many apps that conflict. o.o

Who knows... who cares... it works flawlessly for me. ^_^

smeger
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2003, 03:18 AM

Originally posted by Stuphalina:
Smeger, I sent an email yesterday concerning my question about Acqlite. Would I get a response? If not, do you know if they got it?
I've played with this a bit after seeing your post. ShapeShifter is being safe and bailing out (check your Console) because there's some stuff going on in the Cocoa-Java environment that it doesn't expect. Cocoa-Java apps are fairly rare.

It's a moderately tricky fix, but it shall be fixed!

H * � �
Dec 6, 2003, 03:34 AM

Originally posted by H * � �:
Yes, I even deleted the cache referenced in the plist.
Nothing works, I can't view a preview or install a theme.
...and here is the console log:

Mac OS X Version 10.3.1 (Build 7C107)
2003-12-04 18:10:53 -0500
## Component Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias of type (regR/carP/x!bt)
2003-12-04 18:14:09.903 System Preferences[388] ShapeShifter was unable to parse one or more mods
2003-12-04 18:14:09.903 System Preferences[388] Specific error messages for each mod follow. You should copy these and send them to the author of the mod.
2003-12-04 18:14:09.903 System Preferences[388] The mod at ".aquajaguar" cannot be used because the "main.themescript" file cannot be parsed. A variant description could not be loaded.

Any ideas?

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2003, 04:23 AM

Anyone having trouble with Warcraft III (Frozen Throne) with SS enabled? Seems like after playing a while in on b.net WC3 will just up and quit. No warning or dialog box. This is while SS is enabled.

This has happened a few times now, and the last 2 times I turned off SS, logged out and back in, and WC3 played a full game without a problem.

The crash logs make no sense to me, so if anyone wants me to upload post them I will. Or should I submit this to Unsanity?

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2003, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
Anyone having trouble with Warcraft III (Frozen Throne) with SS enabled? Seems like after playing a while in on b.net WC3 will just up and quit. No warning or dialog box. This is while SS is enabled.

This has happened a few times now, and the last 2 times I turned off SS, logged out and back in, and WC3 played a full game without a problem.

The crash logs make no sense to me, so if anyone wants me to upload post them I will. Or should I submit this to Unsanity?
Put WC3 in SS's exclude list and see if it crashes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules