Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My on going problem with the 15 inch powerbook continues.

My on going problem with the 15 inch powerbook continues.
Thread Tools
Sakino
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2004, 05:21 PM
 
I must say I have about had with with my first Apple product, the 15 inch al pb.
I ordered the exact mnute after keynotes, my new 15 inch powerbook and since then I have gone through 3 powerbooks.
My problems ranging from white spots, to hd failure, to graphic card failure, to heat, to a loud dvd drive.
Now after having my forth 15 inch powerbook since Decemeber 15, I now have a problem growing on my screen once again. It is the whitespot problem. I have 4 similar marks growing on my screen after almost 2 months of use. I take great care of my powerbook, as I have a seperate bag, as well as a sleave for the powerbook itself.
I thought apple solved this problem? I am sorry I have been out of the loop on this whole powerbook situation since November, due to me being really busy.
Can someone fill me in with some updated information this.
I guess I am looking for suggestion on what to do about this situation.

ATTN MODs please don't delete this, I know you hve deleted posts like these int he past.
     
(",)PB12
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2004, 05:52 PM
 
Hi Sakino, i'm sorry to hear about your predicament. Like you , I'm also plagued by the screen problem.i've learned to overlook the screen problem since besides it, the 15 inch is a really amazing powerbook. At first i was just as pissed like you but really what else can you do besides complaining and sending your powrebook in all the time? i hope you find viable solutions to your on going problems but i think you should give it a rest where the screen issue is concern. That way, i think you'll a happier experience with the powerbook ... =) Good luck!
     
pete
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: New York
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2004, 06:06 PM
 
I'm curious - when was your powerbook manufactured. I think the first four digits of your serial number indicate manufacture date. Please let us know what they are.
     
babajazz
Forum Regular
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2004, 09:23 PM
 
no! do not give this damn issue a rest at all sakino. I will be very honest with you, I'm a not so wealthy musician, and I bought my 15 inch for my home studio, After taking a loan to buy this machine I started eating rice because it's cheap and fills my belly!!!!
Don't take crap from apple, I know I paid over 4000 dollars canadian and there is no way I would take a lemon from apple.
like you I had the screen issue, I sent it in for repairs, they sent it back with a good screen but with a gap above the CD drive, I continued calling them about it, now I have to take it in again so they can fix the damage done from the last repair...but I really do love my powerbook, she's fast and super slick!

don't take **** from them, if you're not happy, take immediate steps to rectify the situation...
     
PeterKG
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2004, 09:41 PM
 
Who else on these forums is sick to death of these whinning, crying, pissing posts? One person starts a thread to tell of the dreaded bla bla bla, and then all the other angry people chime in. It's very simple. If you have an issue with your computer you send it in for repair. It sounds Sakino like you are being taken care of as most other people, me myself included. You are on your third Powerbook! Mine had spots. I sent it in and they repaired it. Done. No problem. If they come back I will send it in again. But I won't come here and stir the flames among the minority of people who have repair issues.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4
     
iomatic
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2004, 09:51 PM
 
Well,

Peter, telling people how to react is not going to help Sakino, nor is it your right to tell anyone what to say or do. I too, have had the white spot problem, and I agree with simply sending it in and getting it fixed. The operative word here is "had". I've sent it in, and it's been repaired. Like you, Peter, if it develops problems, I'll send it in again, no complaints, either.

People have the right to chime in with their issues. This is a place where statistically speaking, hands are raised for problems. That's not necessarily a bad thing; that's life. Take the good with the bad, and you won't stress out and vote for some illiterate monkey puppet for US President.

Enjoy your life.
     
Sakino  (op)
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2004, 09:56 PM
 
Originally posted by PeterKG:
Who else on these forums is sick to death of these whinning, crying, pissing posts? One person starts a thread to tell of the dreaded bla bla bla, and then all the other angry people chime in. It's very simple. If you have an issue with your computer you send it in for repair. It sounds Sakino like you are being taken care of as most other people, me myself included. You are on your third Powerbook! Mine had spots. I sent it in and they repaired it. Done. No problem. If they come back I will send it in again. But I won't come here and stir the flames among the minority of people who have repair issues.
As I was wondering if this issue still was going on. I expected apple to have fixed this problem a long time ago, thats why I posted up again.
Serial Number :V7350
     
pete
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: New York
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2004, 09:59 PM
 
I've been through all of this many times with Apple. They've always been very courteous and helpful, BUT that doesn't make it feel better when you have to send in your new powerbook MULTIPLE times. It's incredibly frustrating when you send it in and it comes back only to have the problem again a few weeks later, or with a new problem caused by the repair.

I totally understand the need to vent. I think most people can deal with it around here.
     
Sakino  (op)
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2004, 10:01 PM
 
Ohh btw on all the people who answer, I guess the situation is still going on.
We can close this case now, I will stick it out until spring break and send it in for an update.
Thanks to all who answered.

To all the assholes who decided to put their foot down, I was just asking if this white spot problem still was going on because my from my understanding apple solved the problem with the November models.
This must be wrong then.
     
jstein
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Detroit, MI
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2004, 10:36 PM
 
Originally posted by Sakino:
I must say I have about had with with my first Apple product, the 15 inch al pb.
I ordered the exact mnute after keynotes, my new 15 inch powerbook and since then I have gone through 3 powerbooks.
My problems ranging from white spots, to hd failure, to graphic card failure, to heat, to a loud dvd drive.
Now after having my forth 15 inch powerbook since Decemeber 15, I now have a problem growing on my screen once again. It is the whitespot problem. I have 4 similar marks growing on my screen after almost 2 months of use. I take great care of my powerbook, as I have a seperate bag, as well as a sleave for the powerbook itself.
I thought apple solved this problem? I am sorry I have been out of the loop on this whole powerbook situation since November, due to me being really busy.
Can someone fill me in with some updated information this.
I guess I am looking for suggestion on what to do about this situation.

ATTN MODs please don't delete this, I know you hve deleted posts like these int he past.

Sakino, sorry that you are having so many problems with your powerbook. Hopefully things will get better for you. I have had both good and bad experiences with Apple when dealing with customer care. Keep stating your case, afterall you payed a lot of money for a great machine and there is nothing wrong with you wanting the machine to work accordingly.

What is the purpose of going to a forum on troubleshooting if one can not ask questions or state the problems they are having? Even if the problems have been stated before each case is going to be different in some detail.
     
Tantrum
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Los Angeles/ Dana Point, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 9, 2004, 07:53 PM
 
hey sakino, it's roxy from MBID (teh lame board), anyways, don't let apple give it a rest because PB's are pricey compared to PC laptops, so why would you spend the extra cash on a lemon of a laptop. I'm sure you bought the apple care thing, so just keep bugging them and bugging them till they finally supply you with a good one. I'm kinda upset with my 15 al cause i have a tiny marker point white spot, and according to apple they can't replace it cause it's not part of the "warantee damage plan" or something along those lines...i'm just crossing my fingers for more whitespots to form so i could get my screen replaces...even actually thinking about putting a magnet on the lcd to create some whitespots.
Powerbook Al 15"/1.25 GHZ/60 GB/512 MB/Airport/Bluetooth/Combo w/ 10.3
iPod 20 GB
     
RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Dallas, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 21, 2004, 03:31 PM
 
Hi Sakino, you may remember me. I'm the guy who is on his 5th powerbook g4 (4 of the others developed white spots within the first 10 days of ownership and one had a faulty airport extreme connector).

I want to send my machine in for repair, but I've taken on a new set of responsibilities and the powerbook is integral to my work (both as a student and businessman).

I feel like I need to be getting a desktop machine soon because of the ongoing issues with the laptop. I've used macs at home for about a decade and never before have I encountered a system with such a high recurring incident rate.

Until I can afford to part with this machine, I will try to be ignoring the issues with dead pixels and what not. Instead I will focus on the work that really matters, like things that will make me money and get getting the highest GPA possible for this semester.

To paraphrase things, I feel for you man!
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy
     
mania
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Durango CO
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 21, 2004, 08:04 PM
 
well, i just got a refurb 15 incher from apple and no white spots or dead pixels. can't really tell what was wrong with it. serial starts RM407 - not sure how that tells the date of manufacture?
     
neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Francisco Peninsula
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 22, 2004, 12:04 AM
 
I bought my 15" Al PB last October. It was sent in for repair almost immediately due to an airport antenna problem. Later it developed white spots. I couldn't bear to be without it till late January. I sent it in on Friday and it was ready on Tuesday. They did a great job. The new screen is perfect - no white spots and no dead pixels. They also fixed the hinge so now it is smooth as butter. While fixing the screen they also must have changed or reseated the WiFi antenna because now it airport works much more smoothly than before. Overall, it was a very good experience. My point is that perhaps you should try again to get your PB repaired. Apple seems to have the ability to correctly repair PBs now.
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.
     
ibulldog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 22, 2004, 01:12 AM
 
I concur. Unfortunately, some folks have had to be more persistent than others when dealing with a repair. The bottom line is that the white spot issue is one that Apple will cover for you, and remember, you have the one year warranty with the machine so keep on calling (as frustrating as that can be).

My experiences in dealing with Apple and repairs have been excellent to date, including an iPod repair and two iBook repairs. My 12 inch PB has given me zero problems, but I still extended my warranty an extra year with Visa just in case.

Good luck.
     
BearOso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 22, 2004, 02:29 AM
 
Sakino, your serial number is actually quite low, which means you probably DID get an old one, unless that serial is from your original machine. If the white spots are your only problem, I'd have them repair the screen and not get a replacement. From what I hear, many of the replacements are refurbished, and your probability of developing problems are much greater.

I can sympathize with your problems, as mine is going in for a 5th repair this week. The best thing I can suggest is to not get frustrated, as there are others out there who are facing the same troubles as you are. I just hope Apple have gotten their act together enough to finally provide a "complete" solution for those of us who have been sitting on these many problems for several months.
     
dantley
Forum Regular
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bay Area, California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 22, 2004, 03:37 AM
 
Originally posted by neutrino23:
I bought my 15" Al PB last October. It was sent in for repair almost immediately due to an airport antenna problem. Later it developed white spots. I couldn't bear to be without it till late January. I sent it in on Friday and it was ready on Tuesday. They did a great job. The new screen is perfect - no white spots and no dead pixels. They also fixed the hinge so now it is smooth as butter. While fixing the screen they also must have changed or reseated the WiFi antenna because now it airport works much more smoothly than before. Overall, it was a very good experience. My point is that perhaps you should try again to get your PB repaired. Apple seems to have the ability to correctly repair PBs now.
How do you know if it has a antenna problem? weak signal? my albook doesn't seem to get as many bars as the old tibook did.
     
Squozen
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 23, 2004, 06:39 AM
 
I ordered my Powerbook in September, it arrived in October, and I took the laptop in to have the screen replaced on Friday. It was finished today (Monday) and I'll be picking it up tomorrow.. hopefully everything is working great! The rest of the machine was running fabulously.
     
Squozen
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 24, 2004, 08:03 AM
 
And following up, the replacement screen is GORGEOUS. Not a single dead pixel, no white spots, it's a perfect, perfect piece of squishy, wobbly joy. Erm... perhaps I'm a little overexcited.
     
Annihialator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 24, 2004, 04:23 PM
 
Originally posted by BearOso:
Sakino, your serial number is actually quite low, which means you probably DID get an old one, unless that serial is from your original machine. If the white spots are your only problem, I'd have them repair the screen and not get a replacement. From what I hear, many of the replacements are refurbished, and your probability of developing problems are much greater.

I can sympathize with your problems, as mine is going in for a 5th repair this week. The best thing I can suggest is to not get frustrated, as there are others out there who are facing the same troubles as you are. I just hope Apple have gotten their act together enough to finally provide a "complete" solution for those of us who have been sitting on these many problems for several months.
I have the same start to my serial number as Sakino. I bought my 15 inch al PB in Mid Jan 2004 in the UK. However, unlike Sakino I have no problems YET!?!? Perhaps time will tell???
     
bamchum
Forum Regular
Join Date: Dec 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 24, 2004, 06:02 PM
 
Originally posted by BearOso:
Sakino, your serial number is actually quite low, which means you probably DID get an old one, unless that serial is from your original machine.
I thought V7350 would be 50th week, no? If so, not an early one at all...

Mine is a V7349 and it's nearly perfect. The one it replaced, a V7339, was the worst computer I've ever owned: white spots, no airport reception, badly warped lid, creaking keyboard. It was sent for repair 4 times before they finally replaced it, each time it came back worse than before.
     
alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 127.0.0.1
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 25, 2004, 12:15 AM
 
Mine's V7351.

     
RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Dallas, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 1, 2004, 04:41 PM
 
Mine is V7343. Had the LCD in this unit replaced once already. Brought it to my local applestore today, they gave me the option of shipping it out vs doing it on-site. I chose for them to order the part and just to the repair there. It should be ready tomorrow I was told.

Sakino, if you're reading this give it a shot. I can totally identify with you man...
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy
     
Shaughn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 3, 2004, 12:23 AM
 
Originally posted by PeterKG:
Who else on these forums is sick to death of these whinning, crying, pissing posts? One person starts a thread to tell of the dreaded bla bla bla, and then all the other angry people chime in. It's very simple. If you have an issue with your computer you send it in for repair. It sounds Sakino like you are being taken care of as most other people, me myself included. You are on your third Powerbook! Mine had spots. I sent it in and they repaired it. Done. No problem. If they come back I will send it in again. But I won't come here and stir the flames among the minority of people who have repair issues.
That's great for all of the people for whom fixed work.

I've had my machine sent in three times since I bought it, all for the same issue. All of the "repairs" have not worked. People with the same issue as mine, uneven illumination, have had the problem crop up across replacement systems. If people can't get a system that's up to spec after several attempts at both fixing and replacing the system, it's not crazy to think that there might be a problem with the line as a whole.

In any event, it's certainly not overreacting to come to this board for help. PowerBook hardware problems being discussed on a board called "Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > PowerBook" doesn't seem terribly inappropriate to me.

~S~
     
RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Dallas, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 3, 2004, 01:08 AM
 
It seems that Apple is using a new LCD part.



Recent repairs use:

Part Number:
646-0205 Displ, 15.2,XGA,PG15",Samsung W5
603-4549 Foam Diffuser Assy, PE, DSPL, Q16
011-0512 Performed Alignment/Adjustment.

or just the W5 itself, whereas mine used:
646-0175, for which the spots issue seems to be popping back up for people.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]
See Apple Discussions Topic: White Spots - Repair Results (new LCDs only)
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy
     
Orion27
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Safe House
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 3, 2004, 01:19 AM
 
I use my AL15 PB at work, 8hrs of up time a day. I keep my screen max illumination, which mitgates the uneven illumination. I was in a staff meeting on Monday, had the book on half max screen illumination and the lopsided visably faded right side of the screen was most evident. I have a perfect screen otherwise at max illumination and no dead pixels. I think my book is the greatest but this screen issue bugs me. I know my luck. I'd give it over for repair and it woulld come back with a dead pixel which would really bug me. I'm waiting for things to shake out and then ask for a revb 1.5 if it comes.
     
ozymandismotard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Feb 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 3, 2004, 05:30 PM
 
Sakino Do you live in N.America? If something has gone wrong three times, can you not get Apple to replace it with a new one?
     
BearOso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 3, 2004, 07:03 PM
 
Originally posted by RealMac:
It seems that Apple is using a new LCD part.
Recent repairs use:

Part Number:
646-0205 Displ, 15.2,XGA,PG15",Samsung W5
603-4549 Foam Diffuser Assy, PE, DSPL, Q16
011-0512 Performed Alignment/Adjustment.

or just the W5 itself, whereas mine used:
646-0175, for which the spots issue seems to be popping back up for people.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]
See Apple Discussions Topic: White Spots - Repair Results (new LCDs only)
My repair was 646-0175 and I _still_ have a fat white spot that I can't get Apple to fix. I also rarely see a black smudge in the bottom right corner, so this part isn't immune to illumination problems.

I'm under the impression that the uneven illumination is due to out-of-spec voltage through the screen, and that replacing a(n) inverter(s) might solve the problem.
     
RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Dallas, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2004, 01:56 AM
 
I got my LCD replaced. The colors seem a lot brighter and the screen seems sharper than it was before. Maybe it's just the placebo effect.

Though it's not the part number I thought it was going to be. Looks like an even newer part.

DISPLAY, CLAMSHELL, 15.2", PBG4
-Part Number 661-3055

I don't see any dead pixels or white spots. I also finally got a keyboard protector as well.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy
     
BearOso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2004, 08:41 PM
 
Originally posted by RealMac:
I got my LCD replaced. The colors seem a lot brighter and the screen seems sharper than it was before. Maybe it's just the placebo effect.

Though it's not the part number I thought it was going to be. Looks like an even newer part.

DISPLAY, CLAMSHELL, 15.2", PBG4
-Part Number 661-3055

I don't see any dead pixels or white spots. I also finally got a keyboard protector as well.
I don't think that's new, it's just the display and lid together. They do this when it is an on-site repair because it's easier. I just hope I can get one of those, too.
     
RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Dallas, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 24, 2004, 02:06 PM
 
It's been about 7 weeks since getting the repair. Still no white spots. If you're thinking about getting the repair, just go ahead and do it.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:22 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,