Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > C&C: Generals. Want to play online with me?

C&C: Generals. Want to play online with me? (Page 2)
AppleCello
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2004, 11:15 AM

plays fine in 800x600 low settings on my 1Ghz Powerbook G4 1 gig ram. Havent tried upping the resolution or detail. but it still looks awsome.

Mine does do the 5 minute crash, though. Im looking forward to the fix, I will likely buy this game, and I cant wait to hear news about expansion packs!

I havent bought a game title in a long time, as I have gotten terribly bored with gaming. Command and Conquer was my first real game ever on my 6110 Performa so I cant wait to get into this a bit!

Patrick

ValkRaider
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2004, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by GlendaA:
And even if you think Mac to PC play kills the game for you, give the demo a try. Single player and play against Mac friends is still a blast.

Glenda Adams
Aspyr Media
Glenda,

1. It is VERY VERY cool that you guys read this forum (and respond!) Thank you!

2. It is also VERY VERY cool that you are so responsive with the work to fix the various crashes. Thank You!

3. BTW: It is also very cool that you make Mac games to begin with. Thank You!

4. Now to the point of my post... Hehe - I can't be nice all the time... I am just wondering, what is the reason for not having MAC-PC network play? If many other games do it fine - (Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Unreal, WarCraft, etc etc) what prevented it in C&C:G? I know that, for example, in Total Anhialation the PC version used M$ libraries for network transport that are not available on the Mac... What's up with C&C? I really have no need for a game I can only play by myself - I don't have enough time as it is... And my GameCube games fill that need. I want games I can play with all my friends - and sadly, I am the only Mac user in the bunch. It just makes me and my mac look like losers if I cant play in their net games....

-Valkraider

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2004, 12:57 PM

iBook 14" G4 933MHz, 640MB Ram.

The demo plays great, speed is nice and it's fun...until it crashes. Again and again. Looking forward to the patched demo!

heidilux
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2004, 01:07 PM

12" 1GHz 768MB

Runs great with graphics cranked. Not perfect... but great. Never had the crash issues, and I AM running all kinds of themes and haxies.

heidilux

g3_brandon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2004, 01:17 PM

To answer the question about Mac-PC networking, I'm just going to quote "Dean Lewis" from the MacGamer message boards because he summed it up better than I can:

"9 times out of 10, when a Mac can't talk to the PC version, it's because the PC version used DirectPlay instead of another open platform networking API. Mac porters then replace that code with networking protocols compatible with Macs (which may or may not be open). It is the choice of the original developer to use DirectPlay or go with something else, but it is MicroSoft that keeps DirectPlay closed and even changes it from time to time to befuddle anyone who might figure it out."

So when the PC developers decide to use a closed networking protocol, there's not much that Aspyr or any other Mac porting house can do about it, unfortunately.
Brandon
--
Dual 2.0GHz G5, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600 Pro

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2004, 02:08 PM

tbh, C&C Generals was one of the worst C&C games in the series
they need to port a decent version, like RA2..
we don't have time to stop for gas

k2director  (op)
Senior User
Apr 9, 2004, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by g3_brandon:
So when the PC developers decide to use a closed networking protocol, there's not much that Aspyr or any other Mac porting house can do about it, unfortunately.
Actually, Aspyr could start lobbying PC game publishers to make certain allowances for Macintosh ports, including building their networking engines in a way that ports over to the Macintosh. The Mac gaming market is clearly growing, and Aspyr is the leader in it. Its license fees to PC game makers are probably not HUGE, but something that the PC companies still appreciate having on their balance sheet.

Aspyr should have the leverage by now to start lobbying PC publishers to build games with an eye for porting; I ran a console/PC game company for 6 years, and know that a lot of technical decisions that software engineers are likely to make don't even consider porting issues, because porting is A) never certain, and B) done by another company. It's just totally off your average PC team's radar, unless someone actually points out the importance of it.

It won't happen overnight, but it can happen. It's just a question of lobbying and education. I'm sure Aspyr is doing the leg work already....

wookitus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2004, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by GlendaA:
We just released the C&C Generals demo, so give it a try if you are unsure how it will run on your machine. We set the system requirements very realistically, maybe even conservatively, so I think people will be happy with performance. i5works did a LOT of work on optimizing.

And even if you think Mac to PC play kills the game for you, give the demo a try. Single player and play against Mac friends is still a blast.

Glenda Adams
Aspyr Media
Is there any chance Mac to PC play could come later on in a patch or has it been determined that this is completely impossible?

kon21
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2004, 05:20 PM

Hi Glenda.

Another thing you can hopefully add to the patch is the ability to hit escape to skip the pre-mission trailers.

And this is just a guess, but the camera angle is fixed correct? I can't swing it around to get a better view?

I'm assuming that the ATI 9000 series bug will fix the lose of texture on roads?

CIA
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2004, 10:06 AM

Runs OK on a QS DP800 W/ 1.5GB ram and a Geforce3 Card. (1280x960? I think) Dropped to 800x600 and didn't notice an extreme speed difference.
Having dual moniters sucks tho! When I scroll off to the left, and onto my other moniter, it starts scrolling the screen right! If there was no second moniter issue this would be a great game for me!
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

fritzair
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2004, 10:52 AM

At menu, game freezes. Cursor lost.

B&W with G4 550 upgrade, stock video card, 640 Ram

GlendaA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2004, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by wookitus:
Is there any chance Mac to PC play could come later on in a patch or has it been determined that this is completely impossible?
No, that won't be something we can add in a patch, sorry.

We should be able to fix the multi-monitor cursor controls in the first patch, and we'll look into skipping the mission briefings (not sure if that is possible or not).

We've been working with ATI on the 9000 issue, and are narrowing down on a cause.

Glenda
Aspyr Media

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Apr 10, 2004, 08:30 PM

well if i cant play with my PC freinds, WHATS THE POINT?
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2004, 10:19 PM

Downloaded the whopping 350MB demo last night.

Must say im quite impressed.

It ran quite well on my Imac G4 700 mhz, 384 MB ram, 32MB Gforce 2MX in Panther.

Looks like a pretty cool game - has plenty of character and atmosphere, if lacking in polish a little. Not sure if I like it as much as warcraft III, only time well tell, but its definitely cool.

So what are other people thinking? Like it? Are many people playing it on gameranger yet?
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2004, 11:26 PM

Originally posted by Chimpmaster:
It ran quite well on my Imac G4 700 mhz, 384 MB ram, 32MB Gforce 2MX in Panther.
Seems like C&C:G is very poor with ATI cards

I own Radeon 8500 w/ 64 ram which is far better than Geforce MX 2 yet your card ran it quite well. It ran like crap here

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2004, 11:58 PM

Originally posted by rag on a muffin:
well if i cant play with my PC freinds, WHATS THE POINT?
Go pout in the corner, we're not interested. At least Aspyr is making an effort. If you don't like it, then don't play it.
jesse ;-)

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2004, 12:37 AM

I just downloaded the demo (still waiting for my copy to arrive from the Apple Store).

The game played much better than I anticipated. In 800x600 mode it really played fast. When I upped the res to the next higher and the detail up to Medium it slowed a bit, but not to an unplayable state, IMO.

I am not sure how my hard drive upgrade has affected the performance at all.

This is on a rev. A Powerbook 17 with 1 Gig Ram and a 7200 rpm hard drive.

I can hardly wait to take on other people!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2004, 12:39 AM

Oh yeah,

It played fine on the Chinese mission, the GLA mission, and then on the training mode mission with the USA, it did hang and had to be force quite, but did not take down the whole machine.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Apr 11, 2004, 02:11 AM

is this game as good as warcraft? or close? im looking for a good strategy game.

AppleCello
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2004, 07:27 AM

Its personal taste, but I like it better than Warcraft. They are both very good games and if you like one, you should have fun with the other.

Patrick

FurionStormrage
Apr 11, 2004, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by jessejlt:
Go pout in the corner, we're not interested. At least Aspyr is making an effort. If you don't like it, then don't play it.
jesse ;-)
Or, better yet, we can buy the PC version (like I did) so I can play with my PC friends. No doubt, Aspyr is going to point to piracy as the reason why it's not selling.

Oh, and why couldn't you have ported Zero Hour at the same time? It's been out for almost a year now. I got both Generals and Zero Hour for the PC for what's being charged for Generals only for the Mac.
I do not suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it!

mac freak
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2004, 11:19 PM

Performance is disappointing... FSAA just kills it. Runs just fine with FSAA on my PC
(G5 DP1.8/9800Pro v. P4 3.06/9700Pro).

Still a great game though
Be happy.

AppleCello
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2004, 09:47 AM

any word on the patches?? I cant wait to get my hands on this.

Patrick

GlendaA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2004, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by AppleCello:
any word on the patches?? I cant wait to get my hands on this.

Patrick
Here is some news

Glenda

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Apr 14, 2004, 12:01 AM

i think i will get warcraft 3, then this. i REALLY want starcraft 2.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2004, 01:21 AM

Originally posted by a rag:
i REALLY want starcraft 2.
As do we all, but it hasnt even been announced so I wouldnt get my hopes up.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

AppleCello
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2004, 03:53 AM

Very Cool. Now to find the time to play... Im thinking a series of late nights when I should be sleeping. Aspyr will be help responsible for my drop in productivity in the coming weeks!

Patrick

GlendaA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2004, 05:44 PM

We just released the 1.0.1 demo patch, so head over to MacGameFiles.com and grab it if you have any problems with the demo!

Glenda
Aspyr Media

Holigen
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2004, 06:56 PM

Thanks!

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

k2director  (op)
Senior User
Apr 14, 2004, 07:36 PM

Waiting with great anticipation for the full release patch. Definitely getting a little tired of rearranging my second displays windows after each C&C session.

IonCable
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2004, 09:41 AM

Got the patch, and it works great on my Powerbook. I have keep the detail at low, but hey that doesn't ruin the fun. WOOT. Guess my productivity just took a header.
"This is fun, right?"

AppleCello
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2004, 10:33 AM

try customizing the details settings. I turned on a few extras and my powerbook is still running the demo as smooth as ever. i will gradually add in more details features until i notice that the performance is too slow.

Patrick

a2daj
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2004, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by FurionStormrage:
Or, better yet, we can buy the PC version (like I did) so I can play with my PC friends. No doubt, Aspyr is going to point to piracy as the reason why it's not selling.

Oh, and why couldn't you have ported Zero Hour at the same time? It's been out for almost a year now. I got both Generals and Zero Hour for the PC for what's being charged for Generals only for the Mac.
It costs more money to get expansion packs. The Zero Hour expansion pack may not have been out when the contract was originally negotiated. Since there's no guarantee on how well the game will sell they probably didn't want to spring for the xp just yet. If the game sells well, then they'll probably go after the xp. If not, then that's money they can put toward a license for a different game. There isn't much room for profit in Mac porting so they have to make careful decisions with their assets.

derekn
Senior User
Apr 15, 2004, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by k2director:
Waiting with great anticipation for the full release patch. Definitely getting a little tired of rearranging my second displays windows after each C&C session.
http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=18132

Ask and you shall receieve. I wish Amazon had gotten their stock in by now, I had it ordered from there but it still hasn't come in, so I cancelled. I just went with Maczone, hopefully it'll be here by Monday. I hate to say it, but the demo is starting to get repetitive.... LOL I can't wait for the full version.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2004, 08:29 AM

This game is really fun. I am enjoying it very much.

My fan on the Powerbook runs constantly though, and the only bummer is you cannot skip the intro movies to the missions. Otherwise, very nice. I have is set to the high resolution and Medium quality and things start to bog down with lots of units on the screen.

My only problem now is I have no clue how this Gameranger thing works. I singed up on their site but they have not sent me an email confirmation. Or .mac mail is not working right. Bummer.

I look forward to playing some of you!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2004, 06:34 AM

Bought the full version this weekend, downloaded and installed the patch. Even so, I still haven�t made it through one mission without a crash, and in one instance got a kernel panic.

Running a PB 17�, 1.33 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, and a clean 10.3.3 system (no third party extensions).

Anyone else having such troubles even with the patch installed? I�m on a trip this week, and was looking forward to playing this game in my spare time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules