Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Connecting iMac Core Duo to Samsung LCD TV

Connecting iMac Core Duo to Samsung LCD TV
evildede
Mar 31, 2006, 11:41 PM

I've rencently bought a 26 inch Samsung LCD (really nice by the way!) and wanted to connect it to my iMac to use as a second display to watch videos.

Now, the iMac has a mini-dvi output and my TV has HDMI input. Apple sells a mini-dvi to dvi adapter and then I could buy a dvi to hdmi cable but this review I saw on the apple store had me thinking and I'd like to know if anyone could explain it to me and what exactly I should buy just to make sure I don't do anything stupid.

The guy wrote: "Does it's job well. Just be advised, it goes from mini-DVI to DVI-D. If using it with a KVM setup you will need to connect it to a DVI-D cable (Pure Digital Signal), not the common DVI-I (DVI plus Analog signal) cable that comes with most switches, ... Read more >as it won't accept the analog pins (the Belkin cable sold on this site is DVI-I). "

So, after buying the adapter, what cable exactly should I buy? anybody with a direct link to what I need to get. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Apr 1, 2006, 12:32 AM

good thread

i bet loads of people would love to do this , i would !

evildede  (op)
Apr 1, 2006, 01:04 AM

yeah! I asked somewhere else but didn't get any answers. I'm sure someone here knows how to do it though!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2006, 01:49 AM

The analog pins are the four on the left of the DVI-I connector. You need a DVI-D cable that doesn't have them. Compare the cable you want to buy to the picture below; it must look exactly like the DVI-D (Single Link) connector in the middle.

Graphic shamelessly stolen from the Wikipedia

mac15
Senior User
Apr 1, 2006, 07:04 AM

I have the same TV with a 12" Powerbook, don't go with the DVI to HDMI option you won't get the full resolution (ResolutionX won't even pick it up). Unfortunately your going to have to use DVI to VGA or VGA to VGA to get the correct preportioned resolution.

Another unfortunate thing is that my Powerbook wouldn't pick up the TVs native resolution, instead of 1366x768 I was limited to 1280x720 which resulted in horrible looking text. It was good for movies but horrible for web browsing.

evildede  (op)
Apr 2, 2006, 03:56 AM

how long are those mini-dvi to dvi or mini-dvi to vga cables from apple? are they long enough to connect to my TV or will I need to buy a longer cable separately?

mac15
Senior User
Apr 2, 2006, 04:06 AM

Yes you will, the cable that comes with the iMacs is about 15cm long. Luckily DVI cables are dirt cheap

evildede  (op)
Apr 2, 2006, 04:15 AM

didn't you say I should be using VGA instead? And also, will there be a difference in picture quality using VGA instead of DVI/HDMI?

mac15
Senior User
Apr 2, 2006, 06:14 AM

Woops yes sorry, use the VGA cables as you wont get the full resolution using DVI/HDMI. VGA is of lesser quality is the signal is converted from digital to analogue. How much difference in quality? I have no idea.

evildede  (op)
Apr 2, 2006, 07:33 PM

well, I've ordered the mini-dvi to vga cable so I should be able to try it out this week when I get it. It's just that with an HDTV and no HDTV content to watch, I really wanted to shoot some of my HD stuff from my HDD to my TV and also use it as a second monitor. Will post impressions as soon as I get my cable.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2006, 11:40 PM

You have to use the VGA port - I have the 32" model and use it with my PC (and used it with my PW for some time). You cannot use the HDMI port for computer video.

quiklee
Senior User
Apr 4, 2006, 02:38 PM

I have a iMac G5 to 37inch LCD setup using s-Video Cable and SpanDoctor . . . . I'll have some pictures up soon . . . it's a good setup if you're going to just watch videos on your LCD screen - cheaper, too . . . the shows I get from tspy come out extremely clear, but of course there's some "black screen pixelation" issues (but you downloaded it, what more do you want?) . . . DVDs come out crystal clear too . . . I have a intel MacMini connected to my HDTV downstairs and trust me . . . it's the same quality when you're dealing with dl'd video . . . HD Videos are of course a different story . . .
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

evildede  (op)
Apr 6, 2006, 06:38 PM

I received my cable and tried it otday. Everything seems fine and I took the time to adjust colors and brightness, but the picture quality still seems a little sof. Videos sem fine, but when I surf the web and work with apps, everything looks soft and I was wondering if it was normal.

lockhartt
Apr 10, 2006, 11:50 PM

I've connected (don't laugh) both an old, beige G3 Desktop and a G4 XServe to our 32" Samsung LCD via VGA and I'd agree the picture is a little weak/soft for general use... but not bad, I haven't tweaked the picture for the VGA input though.

I may try the HDMI/DVI input port, but that's how my cable box is connected (and the Samsung only has one HDMI/DVI port). I'd also need a HDMI female-to-DVI female adapter to connect to the DVI port on the video card.

I'm curious why the DVI connection would not provide "full" resolution... can anyone elaborate on this?

When I decide I'm ready for a MacTel (probably in the next 45 days), I was planning on connecting using the miniDVI-to-VGA adapter so I'll be interested to see how this thread goes!
( Last edited by lockhartt; Apr 11, 2006 at 12:53 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules