Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > slow after waking -- os 9.2.2

slow after waking -- os 9.2.2
jlgrafix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2002, 01:01 PM

Just wondering if anyone else has come across this.

My G4 is very slow after it wakes from sleep. Not slow waking up but using the programs after waking. A restart solves the problem, but then what's the point of putting it to sleep.

I have looked on Apple's boards and here and haven't seen anything on this.

Any help would be great!!

Jen

warpmoon
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2002, 07:31 PM

yep, yep,yep, I have the same problem, I've heard it has to do with IDE bus not waking up properly.

The fix seems to be to insert a zip disc into your zipdrive, assuming you have one of course... :/

is there another way (short of rebooting), anyone?

jlgrafix  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2002, 10:46 PM

Thanks for the reply. Never would have thought to put in a zip

For some reason the problem seems to have stopped... for now anyway. Have no clue what I did, didn't install anything or upgrade anything. I'll let you know if I figure it out.

PseuFighter
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2002, 03:03 AM

It may have to do with FileSharing and / or Personal Web Sharing (Classic). Are you running either of these? I've had the problem when awaking on my iBook over AirPort with Personal Web Sharing.
Let's show 'em why Macworld 2003 won't be like Macworld 2002.

bgmccollum
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2003, 02:39 PM

i have the same problem on my blue g3. ill try the zip thinggy. id like to keep a followup on this thread. this is a real problem. i couldnt find anything on apples site. maybe ill make a call...

bg

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Feb 23, 2003, 01:58 PM

iBook/500. Same situation here, though it's very inconsistent. I've also noticed similar behavior when switching to a location where the ethernet/Airport networking is turned OFF. Therefore it's my suspicion is that it has something to do with networking. The next time this happens I'll see what I can do about looking into it. It's definitely one of the most annoying tendencies of this machine under Mac OS 9.1.

What other variants of the Classic OS are people experiencing this problem running?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2003, 03:25 PM

check & see if:
file sharing is on.
is appletalk on?
if you're not using it, turn it off.

after a crash recently, my powerbook was slow to start up after sleep.

appletalk had been switched on in the chooser, and turning it off fixed the problem...

i've seen this with aol components as well, looking for a connection after sleep...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Forum Links
Forum Rules