Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > "Ghostbusters" to Become Game Franchise

"Ghostbusters" to Become Game Franchise
Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2007, 11:24 PM

Source: Variety
November 15, 2007

Vivendi Games is teaming with Sony Pictures to turn Ghostbusters into a video game franchise, reports Variety.

The first title in what the publisher hopes will be a series of "Ghostbusters" games is set for release in fall '08 from Vivendi's Sierra label.

All four members of the movie team -- Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, Bill Murray and Harold Ramis -- will be giving voice and likeness rights for the game. Some supporting castmembers have signed up as well, including William Atherton, Brian Doyle Murray and Annie Potts.

In addition, film writers Aykroyd and Ramis will pen a story for the game that takes place in the early '90s, after Ghostbusters II, during a new ghoul invasion of New York City.

Developer Terminal Reality is making a "Ghostbusters" game for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 aimed primarily at the core gamer demographic, while Red Fly Studios is making a version for PlayStation 2, Wii and DS designed more for families and casual gamers.

Well it's about F***'n time!

You know those accessories shaped like a tennis racket, golf club, etc. that can attach to the Wii controller? I hope they make one shaped like a proton pack with all the lights and sound effects.
Then I can shout over to my buddies, "DON'T CROSS THE STEAMS!!." or "Aim for the flattop."

This game has a lot of potential, lets hope they don't mess it up.

Edit: link to 4 screen caps
( Last edited by Stogieman; Nov 16, 2007 at 02:24 AM. )

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Cold Warrior
Nov 15, 2007, 11:29 PM

I wish they'd do another movie. With all the crap hollywood is willing to do, a GB 3 seems an easy way to make money and a good film at the same time.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2007, 12:49 AM

Oooh. This one is going to be tough to beat:

( Last edited by - - e r i k - -; Nov 18, 2007 at 11:01 PM. )

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2007, 02:07 AM

*drool*

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2007, 03:28 PM

More info can be found in the article here... Vivendi, Sony call 'Ghostbusters' - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

Game Footage from G4 G4 - The Feed - 'Ghostbusters' Gameplay Footage

Official Site - Teaser Trailer, News, Screenshots - http://www.ghostbustersgame.com
Teaser on Youtube - YouTube - Ghostbusters Game Teaser

Posted by Wingfan on IGN's boards:
Ecto 1 is back, it looks like the one from GB2, with the yellow/black warning stripes, but with less crap on top and it's using the original logo, not the GB2 logo.

-Release is for October 2008.
- You play as the 5th member of the team
- It takes place in 1991 and the city has agreed to fund you but they hire Peck to watch over you to make sure you're not just pulling their strings.
- After you are hired, a new evil hits New York and ghosts start appearing everywhere
- The first mission is to hunt down Slimer in the hotel from the 1st movie, it trains you how to use the proton pack and trap.
- While you play, you hear chatter from the other 4 members over your radio or in person when they're around you.
- The environments are destructible, but don't worry about bill as now that you're funded by the city, they cover the damage.
- You press the d-pad to deploy the trap
- There are different proton beams you can use and some of them act like a fishing mechanic, a pull and tug lasso effect.
- Terminal Reality has developed their own engine to handle the physics, they showed off a demo where they dropped hundreds of ragdoll bodies, boxes, and cars and they all reacted perfectly with no framerate hits.
- They will be able to simulate up to 1,000 objects at once with no framerate hit.
- The entire demo was done on the PS3 to show that they're not having trouble developing for it.
- There is a Slime Gun that shoots out a trail of green slime and you can anchor things to each end of the strand, you can tether ghosts to walls using this for easier trapping.
- One of the levels takes you back to the library from GB1 to re-visit that librarian ghost, or as Ray refers to it as, "the one that got away".
- The Elmer Bernstein score is in tact and while no other songs were confirmed, they have to imagine Ray Parker Jr's song will be included.
- Your AI teammates will perform all sorts of actions without you having to tell them and they can save you by shooting ghosts and deploying traps.
- They said they wanted to keep you as a 5th member of the team so you can hear all the interaction between the other 4 guys with the dialog that Akyroyd and Ramis are writing.
- They want the game to be, "fun, funny, or scary" at all times. In an average hallway, for example, ghosts could smash through a window, pop out from behind a vending machine, or come down from the ceiling.
- Your main hub is of course the Firehouse and you're free to walk around and talk to Janine, play with Egon's new gadgets, perform scientific experiments, etc. And YES you can slide down the firepole!!!!
- The Stay Puft battle is actually EARLY in the game as there's a big reveal bigger evil at play.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2007, 03:59 PM

I'd settle for a port of this:

Ghostbusters on the C64

heh

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Nov 18, 2007, 10:49 PM

I gave up playing Ghostbusters I on the NES out of frustration. I find it ironic that the Sega version didn't suck.
I hope we see a Ghostbusters 3 with this game franchise. I am sure fans would be disappointed if they were just releasing the games.
Why wait until 2007? I guess the plot is just that good.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2007, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
I'd settle for a port of this:

Ghostbusters on the C64

heh
It is the only Ghostbusters game in my mind. Brilliant stuff. Just.. classic.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2007, 11:16 AM

Well, certain members of the original team WANTED to do a third movie. Ghost Busters in Hell was the production names. But a certain member didn't want to be part of it... and thus it never came about. Which is sad, as they were both solid movies which even today hold up well.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2007, 08:59 PM

I'd normally say they should have just tossed the certain member to the curb and gone on without him, but Ghostbusters without Peter wouldn't have been anywhere near as good, even though I liked the others too. Too bad.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

PaperNotes
Nov 24, 2007, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Oooh. This one is going to be tough to beat:

Honest to Bog classic.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2007, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I'd normally say they should have just tossed the certain member to the curb and gone on without him, but Ghostbusters without Peter wouldn't have been anywhere near as good, even though I liked the others too. Too bad.
It would have lacked quite a bit without him and probably been a dud. Too bad he still refuses to do another film.

Cold Warrior
Nov 25, 2007, 11:20 AM

too bad indeed

It's not like he's busy with other noticeable projects, or the ones he's done recently have been hits.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2007, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
Honest to Bog classic.
Indeed. Pimping your ride. Panicking when all the houses started flashing. Not crossing the beams. Good times, good times

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

beez1717
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2007, 05:42 PM

Let's hope this game doesn't turn out to be like this:Gametrailers.com - ScrewAttack - Angry Video Game Nerd: Ghostbusters (NES)

Note: video might be NSFW, but it explains just why I am going to avoid this game.........

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2007, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by beez1717 View Post
Let's hope this game doesn't turn out to be like this:Gametrailers.com - ScrewAttack - Angry Video Game Nerd: Ghostbusters (NES)

Note: video might be NSFW, but it explains just why I am going to avoid this game.........

No games will ever be as hard or annoying as NES games, that's for sure.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2007, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
Well, certain members of the original team WANTED to do a third movie. Ghost Busters in Hell was the production names. But a certain member didn't want to be part of it... and thus it never came about. Which is sad, as they were both solid movies which even today hold up well.
I'm actually glad they didn't make III. The original is one of the greatest movies of all time, but II fell kind of flat. It's still pretty funny and has its moments, but it just reeks of sequel.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2007, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post

No games will ever be as hard or annoying as NES games, that's for sure.
That is a fact. There are NES games that I still have not beaten to this day (I mean, ones that I actually tried to beat).
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Aegis
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2007, 04:56 PM

I love a good challenge, but sometimes games in the heyday were just so frustrating with busted mechanics or monotonous tasks. The stairway in the NES Ghostbusters is a perfect example. How do they expect anyone to do that with their sanity intact?

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2007, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
That is a fact. There are NES games that I still have not beaten to this day (I mean, ones that I actually tried to beat).
I know what you mean. I still haven't beaten the original Battle Toads.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2007, 06:57 PM

Battle Toads! Argh!

What a great game except for the f**kin surfing stage....I don't think I've ever been past it.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2008, 04:08 PM

The latest trailer for this game looks awesome. June 2009 can't come fast enough.

New Game Trailer

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Dec 7, 2008, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I know what you mean. I still haven't beaten the original Battle Toads.
i could never do the Simpsons game on the NES, still cant. mind u theres a few games that have gone the other way, Proboprotectors i rocked at ten years or so ago, before i was a teen and took gaming a tiny bit seriously, now i cant get anywhere near the end of that on the NES.

trailer looks good, all pre-rendered, got a feeling the game play will be socking thought, always seems to be with these kinds of games, might download the demo just to give me something to play, but nothing more
The Spammer Formally Known As Crazyreaper
Mac Book Pro 15", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 4GB DDR3 / iPhone 4 16GB

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2008, 05:29 PM

As much as the camp factor of this game gets me excited this really does have all the hallmarks of major suckage.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2009, 03:46 PM

Teaser Trailer

Looking a little shaky to me.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2009, 05:06 PM

Looks awesome. I'm getting it day one.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2009, 05:31 PM

I'll definitely be reading reviews.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2009, 12:16 AM

PLEASE don't suck, PLEASE don't suck

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2009, 10:42 AM

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2009, 12:23 PM

1UP's new gaming podcast 'ListenUp', this week, proclaims the Wii version to be the best..... yeah i'm kinda stunned. They hardly ever bother even mentioning Wii versions of multi platform games.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2009, 12:35 PM

So, you plan on picking it up?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2009, 02:31 PM

Never been a huge Ghostbusters fan myself, so probably not.

I just thought it was amusing that some hardcore XB360/PS3 fans-journalists thought the Wii version was the best. So it might be something Ghostbuster's fans should consider.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2009, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
So it might be something Ghostbuster's fans should consider.
Are you suggesting someone should buy a Wii just to play this game?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2009, 05:00 PM

Nope, im not suggesting anyone do anything.

But if someone is a ghostbusters fan and trying to decide which version of this game to get, said information might help them pick the version best suited for them; whether that entails purchasing a Wii as well, is completely upto them.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2009, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
6 different game types? Please let there be a horde mode.

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
Never been a huge Ghostbusters fan myself...
Blasphemy! Get the **** out of my thread!

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2009, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
But if someone is a ghostbusters fan and trying to decide which version of this game to get, said information might help them pick the version best suited for them
So if I'm reading this right, you're basically saying "Before buying a multi-platform game, see how they add up."

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2009, 10:56 AM

Don't worry stogie, I think they're overstating things a bit.
Ghostbusters Is "Gears of War Lite"

"We're trying to make this pretty mainstream as far as a third-person shooter goes," says Atari senior producer Garrett Moehring. "Because that's really what it is for the most part, it's an action-shooter — Gears of War Lite, in a way. But it's not as complex."

Not that Gears of War was super complex. By "Gears Lite", Moehring seems to be referring to simplifying the number of buttons used and the controller layout. He goes on to say they've streamlined things to make a better experience for all players. Things like auto-ghost-wrangling and unlimited traps have been added.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2009, 03:53 PM

Let's hope so. I want a Ghostbusters game not GoW 3.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2009, 04:02 PM

Whatever. You loved that game so much you played through the campaign 5 times.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2009, 02:00 AM

Newsweek:Who got the best digital makeover? You? Ernie Hudson? Slimer?

Aykroyd: Honestly, I love the way we look in the Wii platform, because it resembles the animation that was done in "The Incredibles." Anybody who looks like an Incredible is automatically a superhero. And I was so pleased that they shaved off at least 60 pounds from my current bulk. The boys look good. We resemble the actors who were in the first movie. You wouldn't want us out there looking as we do today. But in the third movie we will! There, we'll have the benefit of passing the torch to a new generation. Much prettier and much better looking, like Alyssa Milano.

Link

He does have a point.... the Wii version does look like a cross between the animated series and the Incredibles. There's some new off camera footage on IGN, and it looks pretty decent, even if it is a PS2/PSP/Wii build.

Cheers

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2009, 12:41 PM

Rumor
Apr 24, 2009, 02:27 PM

Awesome.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2009, 02:34 PM

I can't view the video here at work. I'll check it out when I get home.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2009, 05:12 PM

Sweet. Looks like they might pull this one off.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2009, 11:55 AM

Kotaku - Making Ghostbusters Game As Funny As The Movie Is "Next To Impossible" - Ghostbusters: the video game

Davis: Yeah, and you don't get any of that with the CG model versions. Everyone has very cartoonish expressions. I'm playing the Xbox 360 version… The Wii version will be much more stylized… but the 360 version they look a lot more realistically proportioned but their animations are still over-the-top. That stuff just looks weird.
Reminds me of how Sony hyped the PS2s Emotion Engine as a revolution to gaming. One generation later and we still can't convey enough subtlety.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2009, 01:51 PM

Review: Ghostbusters: The Video Game (Xbox 360/PS3)

I wouldn't say scathing, but dripping with disappointment.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2009, 01:56 PM

Hmmmm, looks like I'm going to let my buddy get it for Wii first.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2009, 01:58 PM

Not exactly a comparable port, though.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2009, 02:00 PM

Hey, it's your fault, I was actually excited about this game until I read that dreadful review.

Considering the number of 360 games coming down the pipe I don't have money or time to waste on a piece of sh!t.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2009, 02:01 PM

Also, would any port to the Wii be remotely comparable?

Forum Links
Forum Rules