Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dead/Stuck Pixels

Dead/Stuck Pixels
seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2001, 02:04 AM

I'd like to take a poll to determine whether notebook users are getting machines with dead pixels in this day. LCD's have been out for quite a while now, and I imagine there have been some serious improvements to the manufacturing process.

Please post your notebook model and whether or not you have any dead/stuck pixels.

It would be nice to see what the risk of getting an LCD with a malfunctioning pixel or two on it is in this day and age.

Of the three Apple notebooks I've had in the past few years (Lombard, Pismo, Mercury), none have had bad pixels.

zappy
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2001, 02:36 AM

I have one always white pixel on an iBook Dual USB 500 DVD. When I first turned the machine on there were no problems. It showed up after the first few hours of work.

Regards

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2001, 02:39 AM

Those damn things usually show up only after a few hours of use.

BlaKaT
Oct 23, 2001, 02:40 AM

The first Laptop I got a 1400 developed a dead pixel about a week after I got it. then about a month later it was gone. I have read since, that this is a common thing, and I believe but would want to verrify this, that gently rubbing the point with a cloth can often help to free it up. I was very suprised when the dead spot on my 1400 "healed". When I spoke with apple at the time, they told me that unless an entire line was out, then it wasn't considered a faulty screen, probably because of the healing factor.

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2001, 02:43 AM

Rubbing only gets you so far. Some of them are permanent.

I'd suggest rubbing with extreme caution, since it can damage the transistors around the area should you be too rough. I learned the hard way on a now-returned Ti. Instead of a bad pixel, it had a splash of negative the size of my thumb, which, incidentally, I used to rub it.

zappy
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2001, 03:49 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
<STRONG>I'd suggest rubbing with extreme caution, since it can damage the transistors around the area should you be too rough. I learned the hard way on a now-returned Ti. Instead of a bad pixel, it had a splash of negative the size of my thumb, which, incidentally, I used to rub it. </STRONG>
At least now you have enough wrong pixels to be entitled for a replacement .

I heard that some companies now start selling displays which are guaranteed to be perfect. I wonder when Apple will start this practise.

Regards

xtro
Oct 23, 2001, 09:22 AM

Not a laptop, but I recently sold a 17" LCD with 6 dead or stuck pixels. When I looked really closely, there seemed to be about 15-20 little speckles of light or something. They weren't actually an entire pixel that was shot, it was a little strange.

But, I sold it and the guy didn't notice a thing, he loves the display, says it's the best he's ever had. I guess some people aren't as picky.

Personally I was pretty pissed that such an expensive display wasn't *perfect*, but I know you can't expect that.

doctre
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2001, 12:49 PM

I've had 4 Apple laptops in the past few years none of which had any bad pixels. I'm hoping thats not going to jynx the new iBook.
The Doctre
G4 DP 533Mhz 1.0Gig/365(40+75+250)/BT/4600/Superdrive
Mac mini 1.42/1G/80/Combo
Mac mini Core Duo 1.66/1G/100/Superdrive
iPod Mini - Silver,iPod 40Gig - Click Wheel

pokka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2001, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by doctre:
<STRONG>I've had 4 Apple laptops in the past few years none of which had any bad pixels. I'm hoping thats not going to jynx the new iBook.</STRONG>
I wouldn't worry too much. Of all the LCDs that are not thrown out by the manufacturer for being defective, only a small minority (maybe 2 - 4% ?) have dead pixels. At the last company I worked with, there were about 10 laptops, and none of them had a bad pixel (at least, not one that I noticed). Same with the two laptops that I've owned, and the laptops that my friends own.

It's just like every other problem: the people who get the dead pixels are the ones who complain, so it seems like it's happening to more people.

But I guess there is always a chance...

<wandering_damsel>
Oct 23, 2001, 02:28 PM

apple allows up to five dead pixels before they consider an lcd defective and even then they don't always own up and take care of the problem. more than a few of my customers have been rather pissy when they found out that apple wasn't going to fix or replace the $3500 tibook they bought to give customer presentations on. it's apple, what can i say.

but for those of you out there with more than 5 dead pixels, pitch a bitch fit, scream, hollar, curse, make yourself be heard. apple seems to respond to fits. just a suggestion. good luck!

H * � �
Oct 23, 2001, 06:52 PM

My Wallstreet has one stuck red pixel close to the center of the screen.
Very annoying...
When the local computer store gets TiG4 667s in, they are going to test one with a pixel tester.
If it's good, they are going to set it aside for me and open the next one to use for the demo machine.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Oct 23, 2001, 07:26 PM

Graphite iBook 466 SE

i have a rogue red pixel that shows itself, bang up against the left of my screen, about two inches up. luckily, it's like, the first pixel in the row though, so it's not *that* annoying. in fact, it's just gone normal, to make a liar out of me!

still annoying though. it shouldn't happen.

ahh... the days of plugging a ZX81 into the tv never had these problems...
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2001, 09:48 PM

Pismo rev B, no dead pixels, no "pink" screen (for now, let's hope). I also have an SGI that has no dead pixels, although it does show some VGA to digital "noise" at the far left.

Guess I'm lucky.

beacon73
Oct 24, 2001, 03:32 AM

New ibook 600 - DVD. Just got it today.
No bad pixels...IT ROCKS!

BUT...............

It is RAM hungry and will get a 256MB
meal to stick in it's 128MB belly tomorrow..

"Gett-Inn-Mye-Bell-AE!!!!"

Rock-On....

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2001, 07:53 AM

TiBook 400 oc'ed to 500, one dead pixel (looks dark blue, barely noticable) about an inch and a half from the top, 1/3 of the way from the left side of screen. Doesn't bother me in the slightest, although at time I've found myself positioning windows do black areas are underneath it - magically disappears =)

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Number Two
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2001, 08:59 AM

TiBook 400, original model etc. No pixel problems till about 3 months later, and one appeared in the top left portion of the screen. Two more months on , I now have another one in the centre. It's not a big issue, but I'll not upgrade/switch from my TiBook for another solid year/two years at least until the issue gathers enough momentum to be addressed.

Still a great piece of work though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules