Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > uhmm....what happened to my AIM?

uhmm....what happened to my AIM?
obi 2 kenobi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2002, 11:54 PM

So I'm using AIM for OS X, everything's running fine, and then I restart my computer and when I try to log on to AIM, the app freezes up and I have to Force Quit it. I tossed out the com.apple.aim.plist, restarted, same problem. Trashed everything AIM related, downloaded a new one, same problem.

IS THIS WHOLE UNIVERSE AGAINST ME?

--chris "serenity now!" low

SpiffyGuyC
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2002, 02:26 AM

Originally posted by obi 2 kenobi:
<STRONG>So I'm using AIM for OS X, everything's running fine, and then I restart my computer and when I try to log on to AIM, the app freezes up and I have to Force Quit it. I tossed out the com.apple.aim.plist, restarted, same problem. Trashed everything AIM related, downloaded a new one, same problem.

IS THIS WHOLE UNIVERSE AGAINST ME?

--chris "serenity now!" low</STRONG>
Same problem here...appears to be something wrong on AOL's end...

S

PseuFighter
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2002, 03:07 AM

Are you running the latest beta version of AIM? Adium tends to be a more user-friendly OSX AIM client, and in my experiences, not prone to crashes. I've had conflicts in the past with earlier versions of AIM, but I wouldn't count on much support from AOL.
Let's show 'em why Macworld 2003 won't be like Macworld 2002.

obi 2 kenobi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2002, 10:12 PM

Adium is ok. I resorted to using OS 9 just to get on AIM (can we say "addicted"), and then I remembered how much better OS 9 is anyways...

SpiffyGuyC
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2002, 11:44 PM

It seems to still be working for some users despite 10.1.3, so I don't know what is causing it. I'm starting to think it may be location-based....if IMer is not working for you, could you please post your location?

It's a shame that we have to do AOL's troubleshooting for them, but if enough people respond and we get this figured out, I'll send this off to the Mac Beta Team.

Thx.

-S

obi 2 kenobi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2002, 09:47 AM

Could 10.1.3 be the problem? I did recently update from 10.1.2, and I'm not sure how long AIM worked on 10.1.3. Is the new OS X upgrade having this effect on a lot of apps?

--chris

SpiffyGuyC
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2002, 11:10 AM

As far as I've been able to tell, 10.1.3 is not at fault. It worked for a good amount of time under 10.1.3 before the error, the errors all seemed to start at the same time for all users affected, and I've spoken with individuals on 10.1.3 who are not affected by the error.

S

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2002, 12:46 PM

FWIW, I can connect fine with Fire, Adium, and AOL's official client under 10.1.3 with new names and old names (many years old, from the dawn of AIM).
The server made a boo boo. (403)

Meijin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2002, 04:12 PM

I started having this freeze/crash last night when I tried to log on to AIM. It'll seemingly go through the log on process and then seconds after the buddy list pops up, it freezes.

I also thought it may be a corrupt preference somewhere and trashed everything AIM on my system and reinstalled the program to find the same problem (gee, deleting and reinstalling generally worked when I was using Windows.. *grin*).

I also can connect with Fire but haven't tried Adium yet. And to make it more interesting, I *can* connect with the AIM client for OS9. I'm also using 10.1.3 and it has worked from the day 10.1.3 was released until last night. Seems like something strange is up with the X client.

Meijin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2002, 04:40 PM

FIXED!

If you downloaded the new DivX codecs yesterday, remove them from your Library/Quicktime folder. For some reason, this keeps AIM from working. I just tried this a minute ago and AIM is working just fine now. No spinny icons, no crash, it just works.

Why DivX 5 would cause that problem, I dunno.

SpiffyGuyC
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2002, 05:04 PM

Amazing! - Good call!!

S

obi 2 kenobi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2002, 06:35 PM

Good work, Meijin. I didn't even consider that.

Looks like it's back to OS X for me.

--chris

midgetmacman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2002, 12:03 AM

where could i d/l these other AIM clients?

brown monk
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2002, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by midgetmacman:
<STRONG>where could i d/l these other AIM clients?</STRONG>
Go to versiontracker.com or macupdate.com and search for "aim"...a bunch of them will come up. I would recommend Adium....
brown is sweeter
me_puter: outdated

mindwaves
Mar 7, 2002, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by Meijin:
<STRONG>FIXED!

If you downloaded the new DivX codecs yesterday, remove them from your Library/Quicktime folder. For some reason, this keeps AIM from working. I just tried this a minute ago and AIM is working just fine now. No spinny icons, no crash, it just works.

Why DivX 5 would cause that problem, I dunno.</STRONG>
Thanks a lot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules