Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Who likes scary movies?

Who likes scary movies?
ringo
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2002, 02:53 AM

Personally, I like anything by Lucio Fulchi, The Exorcist, The Entity, The Living Dead series, and Dertordesking.

What's your fave?

PseuFighter
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2002, 02:58 AM

Halloween 1-2, 4-7.
I'm really into those Rosie O'Donnell flicks. Some really scary stuff...
Let's show 'em why Macworld 2003 won't be like Macworld 2002.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2002, 03:06 AM

Cape Fear

skeedog98
Mar 5, 2002, 03:10 AM

If you like scary movies or at least just weird stuff then you have to go here. Make sure you turn up your speakers real loud, lean in real close and study hard. Coolest part is the PowerBook on the table.

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Mar 5, 2002, 07:13 AM

Interresting topic. My ex wife loved the "slasher" type movies I.E. Nightmare on Elmstreet, Friday the 13th, Halloween, Scream, I know what you did Last Summer, etc., etc. I'll admit that some of that type of filmmaking is entertaining, but it doesn't scare me really. Once you've seen enough blood and gore and semi-realistic effects of people heads getting lobbed off or whatever you get sort-of desensitized to it. When you start sitting through "those" types of movies and find yourself laughing at almost every scene then it's obviously not scary anymore.

Stuff like The Omen 1 and 2, The Excorcist, and (especially) Kubricks version of The Shining are scarier to me. I still can't watch The Shining before going to bed as it just keeps me up thinking about stuff from it.

Mike

[ 03-05-2002: Message edited by: MikeM32 ]

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Mar 5, 2002, 12:11 PM

Love horror flicks...although very few of them actually scare me. My girlfriend on the other hand gets scared very easily. She almost hurt me physically a couple of times when she's jumped at a scary part Last month, we were in the theater, scrunched down watching Lord of the Rings, and she gets really startled (when that Hobbit turns evil for a split second). She jumped and tensed up so hard that in an instant, the contents of an entire box of Raisenettes shot straight up in the air and showered back down. She had me and everyone in a 7 seat radius laughing

Anyway, back to horror flicks. My favorites (for their scariness) are The Thing (Carpenter's version) and Sixth Sense (the movie didn't scare me while watching it, but freaked me out later on when I started thinking about it). Favorite fun horror flicks are the Evil Dead movies (classics!) and Return of the Living Dead.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2002, 01:10 PM

Scary movies not really.......disturbing movies on the other hand...

Seven, 8mm, Requiem For A Dream, etc.... I find the human mind way more scary than any monster or beast every created in hollywood.....except maybe the Aliens, I would hate to meet up with one of them ruthless som-bitches.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2002, 01:22 PM

i'm more of a fan of "pshycologoical trillers" i think thats their labels
but i also liked to be scared

i like movies that are more disturbing then anything else

dav
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2002, 01:23 PM

i liked the blair witch project quite a bit, and the exorcist - i like the occasional well thought out scary flick.
one post closer to five stars

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2002, 02:40 PM

I like them if they don't sacrifice plot and character development in order to get the scare. In general I don't watch them very often because I really don't find them scary at all, and if they're not scary what's the point?

Favorite "scary" movie of all time: Dario Argento's "Phenomena". Absolutely hilarious.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2002, 03:26 PM

It's been sooooo long since I've been scared by a movie. And that's not an effect of aging but of crappy movie-making, IMHO.
About 15 years ago or so, I got some chills from "Fright Night." And waaay back in the 1960's, "Wait Until Dark" was a goody. And yes, "The Shining" in the original Jack Nicholson version was good. Can't think of any others off-hand. All those Halloween/Friday the 13th/HellRaiser ones are just too unbelieveable for my sceptical mind.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

mefogus
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2002, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by ringo:
<STRONG>Personally, I like anything by Lucio Fulchi, The Exorcist, The Entity, The Living Dead series, and Dertordesking.

What's your fave?</STRONG>

Fulci is a great horror director, but personally I prefer Argento over him. Der Todesking was OK; have you seen Schramm or Nekromantik 2? Great stuff.

-m

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2002, 05:38 PM

I'm not a huge fan because most of them are crap, but "The Changeling" is one of the best ones.
Carpenter's "The Thing" is also up there, plus Evil Dead and the 3 Argento flicks I've seen.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

ringo  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2002, 06:37 PM

mefogus sez...
Fulci is a great horror director, but personally I prefer Argento over him. Der Todesking was OK; have you seen Schramm or Nekromantik 2? Great stuff.

I've seen Nekromantik 2, but not Schramm. My favorite part of Der Tordesking was watching the depressed guy beat his head against the wall over and over again.
And for the others, yeah psychological horror is better then gore for actually putting the shiver down one's spine. Gore is fun though, especially well done gore. Dead Alive was great fun, complete camp, and some of the funniest gore ever.
Some of the Japanese stuff I've seen was pretty cool too. I've seen Uzumaki, Junk, Guzoo. Anyone know others like Guzoo? I loved that movie and haven't seen anything quite like it since. Japanese movie about a strange tentacle beast terrorizing a bunch of schoolgirls.

[ 03-05-2002: Message edited by: ringo ]

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2002, 01:00 AM

I'd have to say the absolute best horror film is The Exorcist. I think it justly deserves the title "Scariest movie of all time." Although rated as a classic, I've never been a fan of Friday the 13th.

With the exception of The Excorcist (being number one), my favorite horror movies in no particular order:

The Excorcist
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Hellbound: Hellraiser 2
Hellraiser: Bloodline
A Nightmare on Elm Street
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3
Night of the Living Dead
Night of the Living Dead (1997 remake)
The Blair Witch Project
Event Horizon *
Halloween
House of 1000 Corpses **

* Now, I have to make an interesting comment on Event Horizon. I would say it borderlines Sci-Fi & Horror. I would also label it the absolute most graphic Sci-Fi/Horror flick (rated X material) that you can view. This requires the DVD version, and I'll pop in nice "if you're squeamish, turn away" warning. I think the material was passed because it's so brief and you never really see it.

When Stark and Mama Bear are on the bridge viewing the records, you get a VERY brief and somewhat blurred image of people screeming, blood, etc. Pause when that JUST starts, and do a frame-by-frame. 2 other spots in the movie as well: when Captain Miller rests his head on the wall and images fly by, and at the very end when he's confronting Weir and images flash through his head.

If you've ever wondered it looks like to jam your arm down someone's throat, grabbing their intestinse, ripping it out, all while analy raping someone and tearing your eyeballs out... you no longer have to worry.

** This movie is in post production, however it lost it's production money. New Line Cinema will no longer fund the movie because the movie exceeded MPAA regulations for NC-17. AFTER the final cut of the movie, MPAA would not give it a rating lower than NC-17. They're waiting on hopes it will be picked up by Lion or Caravan who have done NC-17 rated movies in the past.

Any movie directed by Rob Zombie that has trouble getting even an NC-17 rating HAS to be good.

On a side note, the 3 worst horror movies in history:

Troll 2
Jack Frost
Jeepers Creepers
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2002, 01:07 AM

Originally posted by sek929:
<STRONG>Scary movies not really.......disturbing movies on the other hand...

</STRONG>
check out Jacob's Ladder... VERY disturbing and thought provoking.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2002, 01:46 AM

If you like disturbing movies, I can recommend a couple good movies I enjoyed (in no particular order):

Silence of the Lambs
Clockwork Orange
Seven
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules