Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sound quality out of AL15

Sound quality out of AL15
Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2003, 10:50 PM

I didnt really expect them to be external speaker replacements, but the lack of any bass and midrange muddyness is ugly, treble is very clear, and they sound crisp (in the treble) was i expecting too much?

Am i just too picky? i guess headphones are also an option.
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 11:05 PM

I thought the sound quality was very good compared to my Ti 667.

I use headphones/external speakers, however.

Bruck  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2003, 11:07 PM

but not incredible. and most likely no worse than any other laptop, if not , much better , voice and other stuff like ichatav are great!
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

stevekstevek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2003, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by Bruck:
I didnt really expect them to be external speaker replacements, but the lack of any bass and midrange muddyness is ugly, treble is very clear, and they sound crisp (in the treble) was i expecting too much?

Am i just too picky? i guess headphones are also an option.
Yeah, you are too picky. If you want decent bass or even "mid-bass", you're going to need to buy a notebook at least 2" thick, and it would need to have some kind of real sound cabinetry built in.

But, the Al15 is definately much better at midrange and "mid-bass" (i.e. spoken voice ranges) than the Ti15. The Ti was totally tinny, and the Al is a pretty nice improvement.

They both have pretty good sound at like 1khz and up, and even decent stereo separation when you're sitting near them.

Yeah, but if you want to watch a movie and have special effects sound meaningful, you need headphones.

Forum Links
Forum Rules