Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > WWDC 2013 tickets sell out in two minutes [u]

WWDC 2013 tickets sell out in two minutes [u]
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Apr 25, 2013, 02:05 PM

(Updated with corrected timing) Apple has already sold out of passes to attend WWDC 2013 in San Francisco, according to the company's website. AppleInsider notes that sales were ended just two minutes after they opened at 10AM Pacific time. The pace beats last year's record, when passes were gone in roughly two hours.

The rapid sell-out may be linked to Apple promises that it will provide early copies of OS X 10.9 and iOS 7. The company has shown off and/or distributed new operating systems at WWDC in the past, but hasn't typically made advance announcements of its intent to hand out code. Developers outside WWDC will be able to get the new software as well, but will be missing hands-on help.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Apr 25, 2013 at 03:42 PM. )

sgs123
Apr 25, 2013, 02:53 PM

Actually, there's an error in this story: the tickets sold out in just under 2 minutes.

cgc
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2013, 03:46 PM

Who cares?
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2013, 03:55 PM

I do.

It means that there is MASSIVE developer interest in Apple's platforms.

As a user, this is reassuring to know.

It didn't always used to be like this.

gudin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2013, 04:00 PM

People who wanted to attend maybe but couldn't? People worried based on various silly pundits statements recently implying developer interest was waning? People interested in Apple related news?

eclux
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2013, 04:10 PM

I don't think the quick sellout is attributable to the OS give-away, but rather the fact that they announced more than 24 hours in advance exactly when sales would start. The only reason it took two hours last year is because it took that long for 5,000 people to learn that registration was open, not because people were less interested in attending.

cgc
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2013, 07:41 PM

I never thought interest in iOS or OSX development was waning...quite the contrary actually. Tickets selling out in a short time isn't really news though is it? Apple has always had a rabid following...
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

macjockey
Apr 25, 2013, 09:29 PM

I didn't even have enough time to log into the internet with my dial-up modem to buy tickets.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2013, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
I never thought interest in iOS or OSX development was waning...quite the contrary actually. Tickets selling out in a short time isn't really news though is it? Apple has always had a rabid following...
You may not have thought that, but idiot pundits down-talking Apple in the past few weeks have been claiming it.

Apple has only has this rabid a DEVELOPER following in the past four years or so.

Remember, in '97, they had to strike a deal with Microsoft just to keep some business cred for the Mac platform.

And c'mon! — Two minutes! How is this *not* news?

techahead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2013, 05:52 AM

Developers have always been interested in Apple products more than Google products just because there are more chances of making money nearly every second app on the Apple store is paid while android apps are mostly free

Forum Links
Forum Rules