Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Sony tackles Apple's iPod shuffle

Sony tackles Apple's iPod shuffle
E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2005, 01:30 PM

Consumer electronics giant Sony has unveiled a range of MP3 players which use flash memory to store songs.

The devices are pitched into a competitive market recently swelled by the addition of Apple's iPod shuffle.

Unlike hard disk-based players, flash devices hold fewer songs, using solid state memory rather than a disk.

The Sony line-up includes MP3 players which hold a similar number of songs to the iPod shuffle - about 250 - but the players have much longer battery life.

The new players have up to one gigabyte of storage and depending on which version, cost between $150 and $180.

Sony said the new devices would have 50 hours of battery life - compared to the Shuffle's 12 - and they also come with a small display screen.

Apple has made much of the fact its Shuffle does not have a display, and has marketed the random playback of its device as a selling point.

Sony admitted it had to recover ground in the digital music player market.

"We know we've been behind a bit," said Kelly Davis, a Sony product manager for digital players.

"But we definitely want to be a strong contender in 2005."

Industry analysts have welcomed the new models and predict Sony will make an impact.

"It's like the empire strikes back," said Richard Doherty of The Envisioneering Group.
Linkage

"The empire strikes back?" Pfft. I doubt it. As someone on /. noted, most of the iPod competitors tend to forget that a big part of the iPod success has to do with iTunes and its ease of use (in syncing, etc.).

EDIT: spelling, grammar
( Last edited by E's Lil Theorem; Mar 8, 2005 at 01:47 PM. )

misc
Mar 8, 2005, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by E's Lil Theorem:
Linkage

"The empire strikes back?" Pfft. I doubt it. As someone on /. noted, most of the iPod competitors tend to forget is that a big part of the iPod success has to do with iTunes and it's easy of use (in syncing, etc.).
Plus it looks like poo.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2005, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by misc:
Plus it looks like poo.
I don't think it looks much worse than the Shuffle

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2005, 01:48 PM

Looks like a vibrator.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2005, 01:50 PM

iPod Killer v243,492

Krypton
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2005, 02:06 PM

Better pic:

Although I'm not all that keen on the twist grip controls Sony always uses on their flash players, the aesthetics are a marked improvement over existing players (including the shuffle IMO).

As always, Sony gets great battery life out of a AAA.

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 8, 2005, 02:24 PM

But the Empire is evil, right?

more like:

ATRAC3 of the Clones.
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2005, 03:00 PM

Go Sony... just do your best to save your home market from the iPod invasion.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2005, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
Looks like a vibrator.
I also think they look like a woman's cosmetic case or bottle of perfume.

sworthy
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2005, 03:48 PM

I thought they were going with MP3 now? Why would they stay with ATRAC on the flash players? They really need to get over quoting song capacities with poor encoding rates.

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Mar 8, 2005, 10:18 PM

It's gotta be bigger and heavier than the shuffle. It operates on AAA batteries exclusively? The shuffle has the option of adding AAA batteries. Is it itunes compatible? The Shuffle is still only $99. US
At least at the Asylum, they treat me with respect.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2005, 10:27 PM

Those are some weird looking players... I don't think it'll take on the shuffle very well. Not to mention Sony needs to figure out marketing with names... not to mention they should seriously look at finding some player that can compete with iTunes.

Anilan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2005, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
Looks like a vibrator.
Nah, it's a Tampax. It has to be.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2005, 10:56 PM

Horrible<XXXXXXX----------------------XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX>Ugly

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2005, 11:35 PM

In other news on this announcement Apple Stock went down 5.2%, Sony up 4.3%

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

lavar78
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2005, 11:46 PM

It's almost like they tried to make the screen as hard to read as possible.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2005, 11:59 PM

Actually, that's not a bad effort for Sony. Especially considering how awful a job they've been doing lately.

50 hours of battery life, a display and MP3. That's pretty cool. At a reasonable price point as well. The big question is how do you transfer songs to it? Sony did a lousy job with their NetMD minidisc software. They'll need to show something better than that. Would be cool if it worked with iTunes.

Hey, competition is a good thing.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2005, 12:15 AM

I would almost consider it if Sony didn't have a horrific reputation for their sub par software. 1/2 of the appeal of the iPod shuffle is the music store and iTunes compatibility.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 9, 2005, 12:23 AM

I think that display is pretty neat.

The Wolf
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2005, 12:55 AM

I think you guys might be on crack. That is a nice device. The display looks cool, but it does seem a little hard to read in the pictures here (I actually thought that the "writing" was just some random printing on the back of the device at first).

Can this be used with iTunes? I mean, not with songs that I buy from the music store but just plain old songs that I rip from CDs and have in my iTunes library.

Update: Apparently there are 2 versions: 1 with a AAA and one with a rechargeable battery.

http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/5685

Daveecee
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2005, 01:17 AM

From the looks of that, I think I'd get in trouble for taking that to school

lavar78
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2005, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by The Wolf:
The display looks cool, but it does seem a little hard to read in the pictures here (I actually thought that the "writing" was just some random printing on the back of the device at first).
Exactly. I don't know about y'all, but "cool" isn't an adequate substitute for "legible" in my book.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Cubeoid
Baninated
Mar 9, 2005, 07:32 AM

It's nice.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2005, 08:11 AM

It'd be cool if Apple made a display like that. It would be perfect for the Shuffle to just see what's playing.
( Last edited by Busemann; Mar 9, 2005 at 08:23 AM. )

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2005, 08:14 AM

Not an iPod.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2005, 08:24 AM

in this instance i wll say apple introduced a flash mp3 player when all the other companies already did so with them doing all the real innovation

however, i will call Sony on them not introducing this thing years earlier when they could have blew diamond rio, creative and everybody else out of the flash mp3 player market

paul w
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2005, 08:33 AM

I borrowed my gf's mpio to work out, jog and so on.

A display is more or less useless as I'd have to stop and look at it closely. I know what song I'm listening about 2 seconds in, and so I NEVER look at the display.

The display, cool as hell, is not what's important. What's important is size, ease of use, quality of sound and integration with the os, and software on the computer.

This is why most flash mp3 players suck- they're designed to look cool in the store.

I want a Shuffle. Pity they're impossible to come upon in my neck of the woods. Ah well, doesn't really help much when swimming laps anyway.

andi*pandi
Mar 9, 2005, 09:12 AM

not to taunt you, but don't they make a waterproof pouch for the shuffles?

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nMore=M9758G/A

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2005, 09:21 AM

i like the design and the screen, and assuming it's backlit, it'd look really nice. sure it's no ipod, but i'd pick up one of these if/when they drop in price. i already have a full sizer and my mom has a shuffle. if it doesnt work out, i could always use her's. then again, the ipod is fine so far.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

willed
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2005, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by paul w:
I borrowed my gf's mpio to work out, jog and so on.

A display is more or less useless as I'd have to stop and look at it closely. I know what song I'm listening about 2 seconds in, and so I NEVER look at the display.

The display, cool as hell, is not what's important. What's important is size, ease of use, quality of sound and integration with the os, and software on the computer.
Nice to have the option though, isn't it? And the Sony iteration is particularly cool.

sugar_coated
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2005, 09:51 AM

The more they try the more they will fail and in the end they will make themselves weaker and their rival stronger.
-\
-/

paul w
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2005, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by andi*pandi:
not to taunt you, but don't they make a waterproof pouch for the shuffles?

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nMore=M9758G/A
It's to protect against the "elements", I doubt it's meant to be submerged in water for 45 minutes, not to mention the earbuds...

I'm fine with the splish splash sounds for the time being.

And for thosee who need a display, am/fm radio, ogg vorbis support, voice recorder, can opener, that's fine and cool and whatnot.

I want a thing that uploads and plays my music, like um, easily. That's it. Play, pause, forward, back, shuffle. I swear the Shuffle was made for me.

And I can't even get one...

Sealobo
Mar 9, 2005, 11:21 AM

looks good and all that. the display is pretty cool.

but it can goto h3ll if it only runs off triple A.

The Wolf
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2005, 11:24 AM

k, I thought about this for a while. It's not a matter of if other players will be able to access iTunes, it's a matter of when. Apple is enjoying a very good business market that is permitting them to keep all other players out. This won't always be the case. I still feel the iPod (not the shuffle) is the best player currently available (and maybe it will always be the best), but I'm convinced that other players will be able to access iTunes soon.

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2005, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by willed:
Nice to have the option though, isn't it? And the Sony iteration is particularly cool.
I agree. It also shoots down the whole 'a display will kill the battery' whine we heard when the Shuffle was introduced. 50 hours of battery life is more than enough. Geez, 25hrs would be enough.

The primary usage for my Shuffle is for the gym where I don't need to look at a display but I often find myself sitting around listening to it as well (it's so easy to carry around). A display would come in handy so having the option would be useful.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2005, 12:12 PM

I think it's telling that the shuffle has been out for 2 months, and it's already the gold standard against which all other flash players are measured.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules