Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Shuffle: 'Go to beginning of playlist'

Shuffle: 'Go to beginning of playlist'
vmpaul
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2005, 02:50 PM

Has anybody been able to do this? I had my Shuffle a month before I read the manual and when i saw this feature I thought - 'great, maybe I do have some control over what to play'.

But I can't seem to get it to work. At first I thought maybe I just needed to practice but now I'm thinking otherwise. What is the beginning of the playlist? I load my Shuffle manually. Is it the the list sorted alphabetically? Or sorted in some other way?

I never seem to get it to play the same track twice so I know I'm not going to the 'beginning' of anything.

For reference, here's the instructions on page 15 of the manual: "Press the Play/Pause button three times quickly (within one second). "
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

vmpaul  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2005, 11:53 AM

Ok, I've figured this out. Not that anybody here was any help.

As long as the Shuffle is in PLAY IN ORDER mode, hitting the Play/Pause button 3 times quickly will take you to the top of your playlist (which is ordered alphabetically).

So now, if I decide to throw in a Podcast, book, or a favorite tune along with some other music, I can place them at the top and if I want to go to them I can just use this button sequence to navigate to them. The only drawback is that I'll have to make sure they are named appropriately to appear at the top of the playlist.

I wonder why this hasn't been discussed more? It's a nice feature.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2005, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by vmpaul:
Ok, I've figured this out. Not that anybody here was any help.

As long as the Shuffle is in PLAY IN ORDER mode, hitting the Play/Pause button 3 times quickly will take you to the top of your playlist (which is ordered alphabetically).

So now, if I decide to throw in a Podcast, book, or a favorite tune along with some other music, I can place them at the top and if I want to go to them I can just use this button sequence to navigate to them. The only drawback is that I'll have to make sure they are named appropriately to appear at the top of the playlist.

I wonder why this hasn't been discussed more? It's a nice feature.
I don't think many people either a) knew about it so didn't know how to help you or b) don't usually have a need for this and didn't really care.

It is a neat feature though. Not something I would use.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

vmpaul  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2005, 01:24 PM

Yeah, it took me a month to glance through the manual.

As for being useful...I find it to be useful if only because it's the only way to truly navigate without a screen. Especially if you have a few tracks that you'd like to know exactly where they are.

Just one example - if I get tired of listening to music and want to listen to something else, I could place a Podcast at the beginning of my playlist and now I now exactly where it is and how to navigate to it immediately.

Will I use it all the time? No, but it's a nice option. More people should know about it.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2005, 01:25 PM

I wish you could have different playlists on one shuffle, and while listening to a song could press the play button 3 times to go to the beginning of the playlist. I have all my playlists as albums and would love to be able to have shuffle mode on, then catch a song I like and be able to switch to play mode hit the play button three times and move to the first song on that album vs the first song loaded on my iPod.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2005, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
I wish you could have different playlists on one shuffle, and while listening to a song could press the play button 3 times to go to the beginning of the playlist. I have all my playlists as albums and would love to be able to have shuffle mode on, then catch a song I like and be able to switch to play mode hit the play button three times and move to the first song on that album vs the first song loaded on my iPod.
Uh, you mean like a HD based iPod?

vmpaul  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2005, 01:38 PM

PSA #1: How to order the songs on your Shuffle using an iTunes Playlist

� Organise the tracks as you want them in iTunes in a Playlist
� Control-click on playlist in source list.
� Select Copy to Play order
� Resync Shuffle

You now have the songs in the same order as you listed them in the iTunes Playlist. That is without having to re-name them alphabetically as I assumed before.

If you are in PLAY IN ORDER mode, clicking 3 times goes back to the beginning of the Playlist.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2005, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by Dale Sorel:
Uh, you mean like a HD based iPod?
Uh, yeah. I have a 3rd Gen but I'd still love the ability to have multiple playlists on a shuffle.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Forum Links
Forum Rules