Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > A good companion for your iPod headphones

A good companion for your iPod headphones (Page 2)
Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 29, 2005, 09:52 PM

psssst, I didn't notice is was 5 weeks old.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2005, 10:23 PM

my shuffle has a silicon case that grips the cord so it works well as a cord minder:

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 30, 2005, 01:27 AM

Originally posted by teknopimp:
my shuffle has a silicon case that grips the cord so it works well as a cord minder:
Good idea, but the thing is that the Smartwrap is used when actually listening to the iPod. And considering I have an iPod mini, i definitely don't want to wrap the cable around that, especially if it's going to be dangling from my ears. Furthermore, the Smartwrap has little clippy areas that lock the cable in place.

IOW, I use the Smartwrap to shorten my headphone cord, while keeping it separate from my iPod, and without increasing its weight too much.

P.S. I find it rather amusing you captured that particular post, of all posts, from this thread in your picture.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 30, 2005, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
P.S. I find it rather amusing you captured that particular post, of all posts, from this thread in your picture.
Do you need a tampon Suzy?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2005, 11:06 AM

Severed Hand of Skywalker  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2005, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
www.shufflemate.com
My lord that is stupid. I mean clip it to your neck? that will poke you in the throat the whole time, plus it is ugly.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 31, 2005, 12:01 PM

mac chick looks dorky.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 31, 2005, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
My lord that is stupid. I mean clip it to your neck? that will poke you in the throat the whole time, plus it is ugly.
You can clip it anywhere, and I don' t see how it's any prettier than the one you posted.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2005, 12:34 PM

I like the basic idea, but I don't think the ShuffleMate looks well-implemented.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2005, 01:58 PM

Considering one is a wrap for your headphones and the others are cases for the iPods with clips I can't see how the 2 compare in any way

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 31, 2005, 02:27 PM

Considering one is a wrap for your headphones and the others are cases for the iPods with clips I can't see how the 2 compare in any way
some perform both functions

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 31, 2005, 02:59 PM

Indeed, and I wasn't comparing function, I was comparing form and "look"

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2005, 03:36 PM

some perform both functions
You can wrap your cord around your cat or your neck, that doesn't mean it relates at all to the wire wrap that I posted. heck with that thing save yourself some money as it is just wrapping the cord around the iPod anyway.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2005, 03:47 PM

You can wrap your cord around your cat or your neck, that doesn't mean it relates at all to the wire wrap that I posted. heck with that thing save yourself some money as it is just wrapping the cord around the iPod anyway.
Well, except that it has clips and guides for the wire, like the Smartwrap, and you can take the iPod out of the case without removing the cord.

But like I said, I still think it was implemented well.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 31, 2005, 03:47 PM

You can wrap your cord around your cat or your neck, that doesn't mean it relates at all to the wire wrap that I posted.
yes it does relate in my case because as i said the cord *grips* the shuffle and does not unravel, so therefore it does perform the same function. and i don't have a cat.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2005, 05:53 PM

i don't have a cat.
Well you better not wrap it around my cats head.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 31, 2005, 06:11 PM

Well you better not wrap it around my cats head.
here kitty kitty.

crooner
Senior User
Mar 31, 2005, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by crooner:
Funny... Before seeing this thread I just ordered the three pack (black, white and clear) from Dr. Bott for $12.

I think it's a cool product and serves a real need.

After getting a great deal on my iPod photo 40GB I've ended up spending way too much on cool accessories. I never thought I'd turn into such an iPod addict. It�s great!
Weird answering my own post, but thought it would help for reference...

Well, I just received my Smart Wraps and I gotta say I am extremely disappointed. These things are WAY too big and, subsequently, too heavy. I expected something about an inch long. These things are about 2 1/2 inches! At this point I'm going to see if I can retrofit them with some kind of clip to anchor the freakin thing to a shirt to dissipate any extra pull on the phone cords.

Ah well... $12 ain't gonna break the bank. Still a drag, though.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 31, 2005, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
BTW SWF, gay or ghey or however it is spelled had many meanings before it got to be known as "homosexual"

Homosexuals don't have a monopoly on the word. Get over it.

It would be like me getting upset anytime anyone took the Lords name in vain.

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.
I think the previous posts reference to this had more to do with the fact that a company allowed something like this to be posted on their business site. Not very respectful and certainly not the best way to get your product promoted properly.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2005, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by iKevin:
I think the previous posts reference to this had more to do with the fact that a company allowed something like this to be posted on their business site. Not very respectful and certainly not the best way to get your product promoted properly.
And and the fact that a mod agreed with me just shows the fandom going on.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2005, 02:15 AM

Originally posted by crooner:
Well, I just received my Smart Wraps and I gotta say I am extremely disappointed. These things are WAY too big and, subsequently, too heavy. I expected something about an inch long. These things are about 2 1/2 inches! At this point I'm going to see if I can retrofit them with some kind of clip to anchor the freakin thing to a shirt to dissipate any extra pull on the phone cords.
Really? I like mine. They are heavier than I expected (slight pull on the headphones when it's hung loose), but that's easily fixed. If my Shuffle is on an armband, I just tuck into the armband. If the Shuffle is in a pocket or a waistband, then I tuck it in there.

Either way, I haven't had to untie a single knot in the cord since I got'em. That was always my biggest complaint and a daily annoyance.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 1, 2005, 07:49 AM

You can wrap your cord around your cat or your neck, that doesn't mean it relates at all to the wire wrap that I posted.
You are correct. But in the comparison I made, it was valid. So stop whining.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 1, 2005, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
And and the fact that a mod agreed with me just shows the fandom going on.
What mod was that?

You are just making ridiculous whiney statements. And if you look, I am not the only one busting you for it.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 12:42 PM

What mod was that?

You are just making ridiculous whiney statements. And if you look, I am not the only one busting you for it.
"Steve

That is pretty unprofessional to have on a site. Did you send them a comment about it?"

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 2, 2005, 09:36 AM

So one person agrees with you, so that makes you right?

Look up gay in a thesaurus sometime........

...brave, bright, brilliant, flamboyant, flashy, fresh, garish, gaudy, intense, rich, showy, vivid...
When gay is used in replace of any of those above, it is being used correctly. And not "unprofessional"

What was unprofessional was him misspelling it to try to avoid the politically correct police.

AGAIN, this would be like me getting offended because someone had "God d*mnit* on their web page.

Choose your battles.

crooner
Senior User
Apr 2, 2005, 10:37 AM

And to think that this heated discussion was started all because of this stupid little thingy:

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 2, 2005, 10:40 AM

Now it got sidetracked when someone thought derailing the thread with something petty was more important than actually discussing the product.

Drama unbound.

crooner
Senior User
Apr 2, 2005, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by vmpaul:
Really? I like mine. They are heavier than I expected (slight pull on the headphones when it's hung loose), but that's easily fixed. If my Shuffle is on an armband, I just tuck into the armband. If the Shuffle is in a pocket or a waistband, then I tuck it in there.

Either way, I haven't had to untie a single knot in the cord since I got'em. That was always my biggest complaint and a daily annoyance.
Thanks for your thoughts. After a couple of days to get used to them I've settled down a bit.
I�d still like them to be smaller and lighter but have gravitated towards using them in much the way you describe, vmpaul. Any excess cable gets wrapped around the thingy and tucked away wherever my iPod is. They're just to big and heavy to handg from your ears in the middle of your cable. Should be the worst problem any of us ever has to deal with.

So yeah, I�m glad I bought them and would recommend them to someone who has an excessively long headphone cable and understands the weight issue. They are, after all, only $12 for three. Actually refreshing to see something cost that little. These days, what can you get for $12? Can't buy $10 for $12!

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2005, 01:42 AM

Now it got sidetracked when someone thought derailing the thread with something petty was more important than actually discussing the product.
I'm still surprised you're trying shovel that crap on us. Nobody buys your lame excuses for the offensive statements on that website. And remember, it was you who revived a 5-week dead thread to post those lame excuses.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2005, 02:41 AM

So one person agrees with you, so that makes you right?
Hmm, since that person was a mod, and your question was:

What mod was that?
Gee, I guess it does make him right.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2005, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by subego:
Hmm, since that person was a mod, and your question was:

Gee, I guess it does make him right.
Note how he just ignored that one.

And yes, he started some other crap by stalking me and bringing up a old thread to mention his favourite word and user.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 3, 2005, 09:27 PM

No, I never said a mod didn't say it. I said just because a mod had agreed, didn't mean he was right.

I mean if that was the case, then SWF is just an annoying troll-boy.

Mod said so.

And I wasn't stalking you, you need to pay attention.

And Eug, as far as you "buying" anything I say, it really doesn't matter.

Nothing I said was false. So you either accept the truth, or you don't.

And really, I could care less which you choose.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 4, 2005, 12:44 AM

Would it kill anyone to drop the little personality conflict and keep on topic? To the rest of us, it gets old.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 4, 2005, 07:00 AM

I don't really think there is a personality conflict.

But I guess there is no harm in someone derailing and trolling in his own thread.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2005, 09:30 AM

No, I never said a mod didn't say it. I said just because a mod had agreed, didn't mean he was right.

I mean if that was the case, then SWF is just an annoying troll-boy.

Mod said so.

And I wasn't stalking you, you need to pay attention.

And Eug, as far as you "buying" anything I say, it really doesn't matter.

Nothing I said was false. So you either accept the truth, or you don't.

And really, I could care less which you choose.
I don't really think there is a personality conflict.

But I guess there is no harm in someone derailing and trolling in his own thread.
He's still at it, even after the mods have intervened (again).

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 4, 2005, 11:50 AM

There, that solves that problem.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Forum Links
Forum Rules