Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Spring PowerBook update, any guesses?

Spring PowerBook update, any guesses?
Commodus
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2004, 06:04 PM

PowerBook updates are likely to happen in April (they did in 2002), so I'd just like to quickly ask people what they think Apple will be doing this time around.

Sorry, folks, but PowerBook G5s aren't too likely. The chip may be cool enough to run at laptop heat levels in some cases (the 1.4 to 1.8 GHz models most likely), but I suspect that Apple wants something a bit faster and also needs a system controller that caters to laptops.

For now, I think the 7447A version of the G4 will give the PowerBook one last run with Motorola. How about a lineup something like this:

12-inch
  • 1.2 GHz G4
  • 256 MB DDR333 memory
  • 64 MB GeForce FX 5200 Go video
  • 40 GB hard drive
15-inch
  • 1.4 GHz G4
  • 512 MB DDR333 memory
  • 128 MB Mobility Radeon 9700 video
  • 60 GB 7200 RPM hard drive
17-inch
  • 1.5 GHz G4
  • 512 MB DDR333 memory
  • 80 GB 5400 RPM hard drive
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

bkb
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2004, 07:03 PM

For the 17" to go from a 1.33 to a 1.5 isn't much of an update. Is 1.5 meant to be the limit on the new chip?

Also, I think they'll add S-Video to the 12". But there has been so much speculation about this here that they might lock the thread.
PBG4/12"/1GHz/1.25GB/60GB//SD/APX/10.3

James L
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2004, 07:05 PM

Your thoughts aren't too far off what I would say (but be prepared to be flamed by all the people here tired about talking about upcoming releases), but I would have to say that they would not put a faster HD into the 15" model than is in the 17" model.

With regards to the 15", I would say they could put a stock, 80GB 5400 RPM drive (up from 4200). Also, I think they could move the 2 sticks of 256MB RAM to 1 space like the 17" currently is. I could see an upgraded video card, but I think still with 64MB of VRAM.... and, possibly a faster SuperDrive. Oh, and SLIGHT processor upgrades, maybe to 1.25 and 1.33, or 1.33 and 1.42GHZ.

Not great, but with a price drop too it would be pretty worthwhile.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2004, 07:11 PM

I'll probably buy a 12" PB in July (to replace an aging 600MHz iBook), so a 1.25GHz or 1.33GHz G4 would bring me much joy. A 167MHz FSB and back-lit keyboard would also be nice touches

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2004, 07:15 PM

Yea, either way, I'm happy with my 17" Powerbook G4 Rev. A, so I won't be upgrading anytime soon until the G5s are out for Powerbooks.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Quinn
Mar 3, 2004, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by bkb:

Also, I think they'll add S-Video to the 12".
The 12" already has S-Video.

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Mar 3, 2004, 10:29 PM

i predict they'll go straight to the G5 in September, no powerbook updates until then.

kpne1home
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2004, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by fizzlemynizzle:
i predict they'll go straight to the G5 in September, no powerbook updates until then.
Same. I doubt that they have PB updates unless they have some problems putting the g5 into them. Now that they are at the 95nm (i think) they can run them at like 1.6 with a lot less power and teperature. I expect the G5 in PBs sometime in the 4th quarter of the year.

Commodus  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2004, 05:36 PM

bkb:

It seems modest, but then remember how the PowerMac G4 went from 1.25 to 1.42 GHz in its last update before the G5 was introduced. Something similar happening with PowerBooks wouldn't be at all unexpected. It would be enough to keep the PowerBooks relevant, at least on the low end.

The HD choice I made was as much what I'd like to see as anything else. I haven't really seen 5400 RPM 60 GB drives around, either.

macross
Mar 4, 2004, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by Commodus:
PowerBook updates are likely to happen in April (they did in 2002), so I'd just like to quickly ask people what they think Apple will be doing this time around.

Sorry, folks, but PowerBook G5s aren't too likely. The chip may be cool enough to run at laptop heat levels in some cases (the 1.4 to 1.8 GHz models most likely), but I suspect that Apple wants something a bit faster and also needs a system controller that caters to laptops.

For now, I think the 7447A version of the G4 will give the PowerBook one last run with Motorola. How about a lineup something like this:

12-inch
  • 1.2 GHz G4
  • 256 MB DDR333 memory
  • 40 GB hard drive
15-inch
  • 1.4 GHz G4
  • 512 MB DDR333 memory
  • 60 GB 7200 RPM hard drive
17-inch
  • 1.5 GHz G4
  • 512 MB DDR333 memory
  • 80 GB 5400 RPM hard drive
Those guesses seems somewhat reasonable and logical, but I don't see it happening. The 64MB video card on the 12" and 128MB on the 17" is not going to happen. Granted the video card on the 15" and 17" is beyond under powered for a $3k laptop, i still kinda doubt they'll move up to a 128MB card. Even apples fastest comps, their dual G5 processors are powered by a weak video card.
But then again, we can say the G4 is a slow and outdated chip, and hopefully we'lll see the G5s powering the PB soon.

jstein
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2004, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by James L:
Not great, but with a price drop too it would be pretty worthwhile.

Yeah the best upgrade to the powerbook line outside of faster hard drives is a price drop. Everything else is really cosmetic.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2004, 04:07 AM

Originally posted by fizzlemynizzle:
Nope - too long to have no incremental updates to encourage sales, while working on the inevitable G5 Powerbook.

We'll see minor speed-bumps, minor price-drops, and a few minor additional features while waiting for the G5.

iBorg

Commodus  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2004, 01:12 PM

macross:

The PowerMacs will probably get their update before the PowerBooks get any update of their own, so I'd wait and see. I wouldn't be surprised to see 128 MB on the mid-range video card for the PowerMacs, so it follows that Apple may want to offer that on their PowerBooks.

Their other alternatives are a bit awkward. Using a Mobility Radeon 9600 Pro (or Pro Turbo) would be only a slight upgrade at best. It would also sound a bit odd to have a 64 MB Mobility Radeon 9700, although I couldn't rule it out.

And as for 64 MB on the 12", the only real obstacle is heat - and that isn't much of an obstacle if you get the right chip, even if it just ends up being an FX 5200 Go again.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2004, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by Commodus:
12-inch
  • 1.2 GHz G4
  • 256 MB DDR333 memory
  • 40 GB hard drive
Those predictions sound quite reasonable. I would buy into such a Rev.C 12-inch PowerBook without hesitation. The power savings from running the 7447A alone would make it worthwhile even without an increase in clock speed. However, I pray to the gods that Apple chooses an ATI card (like in the iBook) instead of nVidia. Finally, I sincerely hope that Rev.C of the 12-inch will get the lighted keybooard.

One more point on hard drives: I beet that Apple will continue its current practice of offering 4200rpm drives as standard. A 5400rpm drive will remain an option, and a 7200rpm drive will be a new option on the 15-inch and 17-inch models.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

dodo_nutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2004, 04:22 PM

4200 drives are far toooooooo slow for a powerbook these days though...they need 5400 drives std upgradeable to 7200 on all the models. the speed difference a fast HDD makes is amazing especially if you use things like FCP or photoshop etc when you need to access the HDD all the time.

Just look at the number of threads about people who have upgraded there HDD only a few months after they bought them. Surly faster, bigger drives as a build to order option (or as std) are needed

(as well as bigger video cards, faster FSB, cheaper prices, and of course G5s!!!!!)

Oh well, we can all dream

James L
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2004, 04:47 PM

...and how about the number of people trying to use Garageband that are getting "disc too slow" errors all the time.... with a peice of software that ships for free with the machine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules