Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Ethernet issue on 08 Imac

Ethernet issue on 08 Imac
BaBaBooey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2009, 01:00 PM

Hello everyone,

I have an early 2008 Dual 2.4 Ghz Aluminum Imac

Until a few days ago the internet was quick and worked well... until something ( i don't know) happened and now it takes between 15-20 seconds to load any web page. Each computer on the network works without this issue.
I used the same Ethernet cable on my Macbook and it was fine, the airport works fine on the Imac... so the culprit seems to be the ethernet connection inside the Imac.
I would use the Airport all the time except i work at a print shop and need the wired connectivity,

Any ideas as to what to do before i bring it in for a repair?

thanks

- Matt

larkost
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2009, 02:35 PM

Have you checked the DNS settings. Having a bad DNS server in your list for that interface can do exactly that.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 17, 2009, 06:43 PM

Good troubleshooting there-most people don't think about the cable possibly being bad. But there are a few more things to consider.

larkost's suggestion is a good one, but if you didn't explicitly configure your DNS servers you wouldn't know if they are now different. To make use of that suggestion, you need to first find out what your ISP's DNS settings should be and then look at what you have. You could also use Open DNS's servers, which can be helpful if your ISP isn't as on top of things as they could be.

Can I assume you've been using Safari for all your tests? First, go to this speed test site and find out what sort of results you get. Next, download and install either Firefox of Camino, or both, and try them, both with the speed test and with just any site you're interested in.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

BaBaBooey  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2009, 10:00 AM

hey thanks! the DNS address change worked, i appreciate it.

I checked the DNS server and it was 0.0.0.0, so now its what it should be to FIOS'

thanks again!

Forum Links
Forum Rules