Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > 10.2 Address Book: Feature requests ?

10.2 Address Book: Feature requests ?
jzkpr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2002, 10:32 AM

Hello all,

I am very happy to see Apple using a slightly more robust address book that can be used system wide, but I still feel it is lacking a few features:

- export all as tab delimited text file
- integration with label makers
- more detailed views
(view all contacts across a row view
with exposed email, phone, etc...)
- Show number of vcards in a group

What other would we like to see? I am sure Apple is working on future implementations to it.

Regards
--
jzkpr

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2002, 10:34 AM

Third party apps could likely be easily written to do your first two requests.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2002, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by jzkpr:

- export all as tab delimited text file
- integration with label makers
Import from a tab delimited text file would be a start.
Why Apple left out a simple 'Print Avary lables' option is beyond me.
I still have to keep 2 sets of contact databases (Apples & one for the lable app)

Guy Incognito
Banned
Aug 27, 2002, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by ckohler:
Third party apps could likely be easily written to do your first two requests.
And the last two also...in fact, anyone can easily start writing an address book to compete with Apple's Address Book now that the frameworks are in place.

llamapadeastR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2002, 02:12 PM

This could be feature suggestions or tech questions (depending whether I overlooked the feature or not). I would like to see the following in the Jaguar 10.2 Address Book:

* Multiple users share the same Address Book data. I put in symbolic links to try to pull this off (~/Library/Addresses & ~/Library/App Support/Address Book) which works. However, the "This is my card" is also shared, which is trouble if you iChat. I show up with another user's Buddy Icon (a bit embarrassing) :-[

* Add an arbitrary number of fields to an address entry. For me to really jump into Address Book, I need to store a slew of email addresses for certain people, plus multiple voice numbers (pagers), and multiple IM accounts. Hey, we're wired!

* XML or tab delimited output. I need to recover all of the data entry work for the number of future gadgets I will no doubt use.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Aug 27, 2002, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by llamapadeastR:

* Add an arbitrary number of fields to an address entry. For me to really jump into Address Book, I need to store a slew of email addresses for certain people, plus multiple voice numbers (pagers), and multiple IM accounts. Hey, we're wired!
Click on the + sign and add 2 thousand street address, or 6 billion email addresses, or 10 million voice numbers, or pager numbers, or mobile numbers.

Card -> Add Field -> Instant Messaging for your IM account needs.

Please spend time *with* the app before asking for already existing features. Now go 'jump' into that Address Book, don't just dip your feet.

* Multiple users share the same Address Book data. I put in symbolic links to try to pull this off (~/Library/Addresses & ~/Library/App Support/Address Book) which works. However, the "This is my card" is also shared, which is trouble if you iChat. I show up with another user's Buddy Icon (a bit embarrassing) :-[
Why not just import the vCards that you want? Or why not just use the same OS X account?
( Last edited by Guy Incognito; Aug 27, 2002 at 02:25 PM. )

pdot
Senior User
Aug 28, 2002, 10:11 AM

I would like Address Book's ability to import the 10.1.5 "Address Book.addressbook" document. I was able to get most of critical e-mail addresses out from there, but it's too much work to get the street addresses.
Current: XPC SB81P, 3GHz P4, 1GB RAM; Compaq Presario V2410US, Turion 64 ML-30, 512MB RAM
Previous: Sawtooth G4/400 448MB RAM
ATI Radeon 8500 64MB - flashed variant
OS X 10.3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399 37510
Future: 13" Widescreen Powerbook, Core Duo Intel

ctbritt
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2002, 05:22 PM

Categories! not having categories is a horrible, horrible omission. That was the best part of Entourages's address book.

Lacking categories, allow custom fields with options other than birthday, AIM or phonetic first/last name (how useless is THAT?) I can put categories in custom fields then. (I have a script that will do that for Entourage, and then I could import those vCards into Address Book.) I will anxiously see what new Address Book functionality comes from third parties, now that the database is accessible to all.

[edit]
By the way, speaking of making a new address book, how would one go about starting something like that? I have no programming experience, but you just need to write an interface for tapping into the database, no?
[/edit]
( Last edited by ctbritt; Aug 28, 2002 at 05:32 PM. )
Christopher Allbritton
MacOS X 10.4.9, 2GB RAM, 15-in. 2.33 GHz MBP 2 CD
www.back-to-iraq.com

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2002, 12:21 AM

Here's a feature from Entourage that I really miss in Address Book: the ability to classify one e-mail address out of many the default for a particular contact. I have many contacts with multiple e-mail addresses, yet there appears to be no rhyme or reason to the way Mail decides to list those e-mail addresses when I type the contact's name in the "To:" line. In Entourage, it would list the default one first, and the others below, allowing me to easily send mail to that default address most of the time while browsing down to a secondary one if need be. Now I always have to browse to pick the correct one. Not so good.

Ibson
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2002, 04:06 AM

Originally posted by pdot:
I would like Address Book's ability to import the 10.1.5 "Address Book.addressbook" document. I was able to get most of critical e-mail addresses out from there, but it's too much work to get the street addresses.
Have a look at http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...20828093330200

MickS
Senior User
Aug 30, 2002, 04:15 AM

I would like Apple to re-enable the option of exporting a selection of contacts as individual vCards (ala the previous Addressbook version) rather than dumping them all in a single file.

When transferring to my iPod separate files makes more sense as I can list the folder on the iPod to see the contacts I currently have on. Now I have to either drag each one out separately or disconnect the iPod to check the contacts that I have.

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2002, 05:56 AM

Address Book has at least one bug in it so far that I for one definitely would like corrected - any birthday dates you enter in UK short format are reformatted in US long format after you finish editing, doh!

Anyway, feature requests:

1) As well as showing the day of the birthday, the age of the person would be nice too.

2) If you select a particular country's address format, it makes sense to me that the Country field in all addresses should automatically be filled with that country's name. Likewise, the international dialling code for a selected country should automatically be appended to any phone numbers inserted.

3) Ditch mapquest.com as the site used for "Map Of" - it sucks royally for UK addresses. It hasn't found a single one correctly for me so far.

4) As well as "Map Of", include the ability to insert the formatted address into a document of your word processing app of choice - obviously this should be offered as a system wide Service too.

5) Likewise, with Phone and Fax numbers - auto-dial perhaps

Thankfully, however, Address Book is hugely improved over the previous incarnation(s).

Forum Links
Forum Rules