Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > adjust PB hinge

adjust PB hinge
Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2004, 07:42 AM

The hinge on my 17 is a bit loose, but nothing I really want to send it in for. Has anyone adjusted the hinges to tighten? Any problems, anything to look out for (such as over tightening and putting pressure on the screen?). Anyone know of any guides online explaining the procedure and which screws to adjust, etc? Thanks.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2004, 08:16 PM

I've heard a variety of different stories related to "adjusting" 'book hinges. I've heard of people tightening the hinges themselves with fairly little effort, I've heard of near-catastrophes, and I've heard of people walking into Apple Stores and having a service person there tighten the hinges for free. Hopefully someone else with more definite experience will come along and help you out, but I thought I would lay out some of the possibilites.

I'd definitely call a nearby service center (preferably an Apple Store) and see if you can get lucky.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2004, 01:26 PM

Yeah, my 12" just started playing like the 17" and 15" when closed. What I'm wondering is which screws I could try to tighten myself to fix it. There are four in the rear (two on either side of the hinge) and two on the bottom (one on either side of the hinge). Can I tighten any of these to tighten up the top half of my PB, or is it the innards that I have to mess around with to get as tight as before? I baby this thing and have had it since Jan of this year and I have 3 year Applecare for it so no worries there.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

grayware
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2004, 08:30 PM

Mine was creaking it became so tight. After reading another thread, I picked up a micro screwdriver set at Home Depot and used the #00 philips, loosened (NOT removed) the 4 screws (at the hinge area of my PBook) and dropped a drop of electric shaver oil in the gaps, moved the lid back and forth a dozen or so times, tightened the screws and it's great now.

I realize this is loosening and not tightening, but I can assume the #00 tightening up your screws, if they're loose, can help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules