Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > how do I make a os 9.x boot cd?

how do I make a os 9.x boot cd?
bjv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2002, 03:38 PM

I'm try to burn a boot cd with alsoft's diskoptimize on it. How do I install the os and the diskoptimizer on a burned cd?

Thanks

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2002, 01:52 PM

Here's how I do it:

Start with a new CD in Toast. Make sure that it's of type 'Mac OS Standard' and not 'Mac OS extended.' Then drag a working System Folder (like a startup CD from Apple) onto the CD. Add your application to the CD, and place any system extensions or control panels it needs into the appropriate places in the System Folder you're going to put on your CD. After you burn, you should have a working startup CD.

Hope this works for you,

Brad

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2002, 02:45 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by bjv:
<strong>I'm try to burn a boot cd with alsoft's diskoptimize on it. How do I install the os and the diskoptimizer on a burned cd?

Thanks</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Hi BJV,
One method is (if you have multiple partitions, or an external HD) to
1)boot from a system CD
2) Do a minimum system install (I normally do a universal, so it will boot most machines --- and also customize it to meet your needs).
3) install any software you want onto that partition (boot this partition and do the installs) --- I usually install all of my tools, ie techtool, norton, diskwarrior, etc.
4) boot back into your 1st partition (hopefully you have toast installed)
5) run toast and create a mac bootable cd
hope this helps and respond with any other questions...

bjv  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2002, 12:09 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by bjv:
<strong>I'm try to burn a boot cd with alsoft's diskoptimize on it. How do I install the os and the diskoptimizer on a burned cd?

Thanks</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Hi,

thanks for the tips. Since I don't have Toast I ended up using disk copy to create an image from a factory cd. Then I added my utilites to the image and burned a cd it was simple to do and worked great.

BJV

Forum Links
Forum Rules