Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > technical differences between the different mac os released?

technical differences between the different mac os released?
abhi_kul
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2004, 10:00 AM

hi
i would like the know the the different enhancements that have occured from mac os 8.5 till date. i would appreciate if anyone could guide me to the source dowhich will satisfy my query.
in short i would like the track the technical( operating system point of view i.e low level details) differences between these
diff os?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2004, 09:37 PM

gee. Let's see. Well, there is not a great amount of difference between 8.5 and 9.x.x. If you write a driver for 8.5 I bet it will be compatible with the rest of the classic Mac OS releases. I really don't think you have to worry about such things. Others could undoubtedly give you better information.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2004, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
gee. Let's see. Well, there is not a great amount of difference between 8.5 and 9.x.x. If you write a driver for 8.5 I bet it will be compatible with the rest of the classic Mac OS releases.
eerrr....why then did almost ALL OS 8.x apps require corresponding updates for every new OS release after 8.5, huummm?

classic example to the original question: USB & Firewire support. OS 8.5 =notta, 8.6 =so so, 9= Much improved, but still not perfected ect ect
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2004, 01:32 AM

Originally posted by bowwowman:
eerrr....why then did almost ALL OS 8.x apps require corresponding updates for every new OS release after 8.5, huummm?

classic example to the original question: USB & Firewire support. OS 8.5 =notta, 8.6 =so so, 9= Much improved, but still not perfected ect ect
The assertion that almost all older applications required updates for every new release is totally, totally untrue. Just plain wrong, sorry. I could still run OS 7 apps on OS 8.6. Some things did break, but they were exceptions rather than rules. And are you saying that many/most applications broke between 8.5 and 8.6, or between 8.5 and 9.2.2? Because that's just plain crazy.

And as far as USB/Firewire support is concerned, there was certainly support for USB in 8.5. Heck, the original iMac shipped with 8.1! USB support got better with 8.5, and even better with 8.6 and 9 thereafter. But to say there was no USB support in 8.5 is ridiculous. As for firewire, it was first officially supported in 7.6.

Now if you had limited your comment to drivers, some of your opinions would have made more sense. Nevertheless, I maintain that many third party drivers written for 8.5 or higher are compatible with 9.x.x.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules