Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Page 5)
subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2018, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I didn't think so at the time and don't think so now. The writers could have just made the pilot Green 4 instead of Rose's sister, and Rose's sister could have equally well died off-screen — it wouldn't have made a big difference to how the story developed. If anything, I think it would have made the movie a bit better, because it would have avoided shifting the audience's to an unimportant detail.
That the character development in question could be considered poor quality, doesn’t address whether or not it was considered pivotal by the artist.

I stand by my statement. The sister’s death is pivotal to Rose’s character development.

OreoCookie
Jun 17, 2018, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I stand by my statement. The sister’s death is pivotal to Rose’s character development.
???
I didn’t contradict you here at all. I’m just saying that given how Rose’s sister died, she could have well died off screen.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2018, 02:35 PM

???
I didn’t contradict you here at all.

Rose's sister is not an important character and only gets to live for the first few minutes.
She’s not important as an individual, but is absolutely pivotal to Rose’s character development.
I didn't think so at the time and don't think so now.
It’s coming off as contradiction.

OreoCookie
Jun 17, 2018, 10:48 PM

It’s coming off as contradiction.
That's because you don't read my posts carefully enough and cut out pieces that are crucial for the context:
I didn't think so at the time and don't think so now. The writers could have just made the pilot Green 4 instead of Rose's sister, and Rose's sister could have equally well died off-screen — it wouldn't have made a big difference to how the story developed. If anything, I think it would have made the movie a bit better, because it would have avoided shifting the audience's to an unimportant detail.
My point is that we didn't need to see Rose's sister's death on-screen, not that Rose's sister's death was unimportant.

andi*pandi
Jun 17, 2018, 10:52 PM

Well, it's always more interesting to show something, then explain something. Someone to Rose, "so, you're really sad your sister just died, huh?" would be boring. The matching necklaces was nice.

OreoCookie
Jun 17, 2018, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Well, it's always more interesting to show something, then explain something. Someone to Rose, "so, you're really sad your sister just died, huh?" would be boring. The matching necklaces was nice.
To me, Rose's sister's character just didn't get enough exposure to warrant that. If she had lived, say, the first 30 minutes of the movie, interacted with Rose, and we'd get a feel for what kind of person she was and what her relationship to the others in the resistance and Rose was like, then yes. But apart from the pendant and her dying, I don't remember anything about her character — which means, I, as a viewer, am not as emotionally invested in that story line either.

Now it is possible that they shot just that story, but the footage was left on the cutting room floor. So what remained was I thought was an awkward and unsatisfactory few scenes.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2018, 11:12 PM

That's because you don't read my posts carefully enough
Bullshit.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2018, 12:59 AM

To put that more constructively, had I written what I quoted, and the recipient interpreted it as me contradicting them, my response would be “I could see how that could happen”, and take the opportunity to clarify my point.

I most certainly wouldn’t respond with a variation of “your reading comprehension is shit”.

OreoCookie
Jun 18, 2018, 01:17 AM

I most certainly wouldn’t respond with a variation of “your reading comprehension is shit”.
You are right that I could have been more diplomatic, and it would have been better form to not get my frustration get the better of me. Apologies.

However, you have done this a few times where you take one sentence of a post, rip it out of context and make a claim that contradicts what I wrote the very next sentence. That is bound to cause frustration on my end, because we end up talking in circles. Fewer people will be willing to engage you in a discussion, because instead of talking about the substance they feel as if they are wasting their time.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2018, 12:35 AM

I quoted what confused me. If I quoted more it wouldn’t be clear what I’m asking to be addressed.

I agree the death could have happened off-screen. It also could have been her father or mother the fleet commander, or her kid sister in a freak accident... or her brother the hotshot pilot.

My argument is while serving the overall purpose of motivating Rose, each of these choices would have carried different meanings for the audience.

Just as the choice they made, it being her sister the model, carries its own meaning.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2018, 02:10 AM

I think we have just a very different way of thinking: when I see Garafolo in a movie, I don't think “Oh, look, they cast her as the ugly girl again!”
We don’t think that way, because we’re not freaks.

Hollywood thinks this way. Her biggest, and I think only leading role was as Cyrano de frigging Bergerac. That’s insane.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2018, 03:06 PM

Friend of mine made a great point.

These new movies have to sunset or kill the old heroes and bring us the new generation.

This is happening because it has to. It isn’t an “audience pleaser” decision. No one actually wants this.

My friend’s point was a specific group of people who don’t want it are... almost all the new heroes in the movie.

Rey is pretty angry and resentful of being put in her position. The most heroic thing Rose signed up for is replacing a blown space gasket. Finn would literally rather run away.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2018, 12:28 AM

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2018, 01:57 AM

It’s not being sold this way, but is there some difference between “J.J. returns” and “Rian has been shitcanned” I’m not catching?

P
Jul 28, 2018, 10:07 AM

Rian (which, btw, autocorrect tried to make both “Iran” and “Rain” before giving up) has been contracted to make a new trilogy. That isn’t exactly being fired.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 28, 2018, 11:55 AM

It’s not being sold this way, but is there some difference between “J.J. returns” and “Rian has been shitcanned” I’m not catching?
They had different directors lined up for each. It was Treverrow that got shitcanned.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2018, 03:34 PM

Got it!

I thought Rian was going to direct the next two. That was his trilogy. TLJ, and the two after it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2018, 11:42 PM

Next one is the last of a trilogy surely?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2018, 12:42 AM

There’s trilogy and there’s trilogy.

I thought they hired Rian for 8, and then signed him on for 9, and 10, this crosses two trilogies, but is itself a trilogy.

JohnyMacler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2018, 10:24 AM

In all honesty, I was rather disappointed with this movie. Hopefuly the next installment can redeem the trilogy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules