Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Back up for OSX???

Back up for OSX???
I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2003, 04:18 PM

anyone knows if you can buy the back up software that .mac provide, even if you are not a member anymore?

its a good app, but it always ask for the membership password, and I honestly dont want to renew to .mac, its not so wonderful you know...

is there other back up program as easy as that out there?

I will apreciate your help.

thanxs
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2003, 06:16 PM

I don't think you can use Apple's Backup app without a .Mac account.

Another great solution is Carbon Copy Cloner. It's free and comes highly recommended. Check Versiontracker.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2003, 09:36 PM

I STRONGLY recommend CCC. It will even make DVD sized chunks of a system backup.

It helps to have a spare HUGE partition to back up to. It does not back up to CD or DVD but just makes disk images that can be burned to them later.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

rlmorel
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2003, 09:55 PM

When I suggest to folks to buy a new mac, I tell them to buy a Firewire HD that is at least as big as their internal drive, and then I have them download Carbon Copy Cloner. This is the best peace of mind you can buy.

"An argument isn't just saying 'No it isn't'!" "Yes it is!" "NO IT ISN'T!"

Brass
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2003, 11:43 PM

Originally posted by rlmorel:
This is the best peace of mind you can buy.
No it isn't!

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2003, 11:48 PM

now Im confused

nbnz
Senior User
Jul 14, 2003, 11:49 PM

or you could try Lacie's free Silverkeeper which I use. It's OK for backing up directories but wouldn't be any good for the whole system like CCC.
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

Alex00087
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2003, 02:19 AM

Can CCC just backup certain folders because I don't want it to backup the whole hard drive, just documents, music, etc etc. I can't seem to make it do that. Also, can it schedule backups so that you dont have to be on the computer to backup automatically.

tonyibook
Jul 15, 2003, 02:45 AM

I use ChronoSync from Econ Technologies, along with an external firewire hard drive. You specify a source and destination folder and then it only copies the files that have changed. It works better than most utilities as you can specify files/folder to ignore, especially good for the browser cache directories.

I backup my home directory (which is 5GB in size) once a week but it only takes a couple of minutes to copy the changes. I find if a backup utility takes more than a few minutes then I keep putting it off.

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2003, 02:51 AM

I use CCC, Silverkeeper (Lacie FW drive), and the old copy and paste methods (copy User folders, etc). I downloaded Apple's Backup app, but have never used it.

The CCC and Silverkeeper apps are realtively easy to use and quite reliable. Try them out and see which you like better.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2003, 07:09 AM

Originally posted by Alex00087:
Can CCC just backup certain folders because I don't want it to backup the whole hard drive, just documents, music, etc etc. I can't seem to make it do that. Also, can it schedule backups so that you dont have to be on the computer to backup automatically.
I believe it can do both.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Alex00087
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2003, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
I believe it can do both.
I tried, I just want to backup a set of folders, so when I click on Target and choose my Hard Drive, it only presents me with the users folder, but I want to go deeper into the users folder..which I don't think it will let me.

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2003, 03:19 PM

and what about restrospect? anyone?

pabloEskimo
Jul 15, 2003, 03:32 PM

en what about D�j� Vu?
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9221

D�j� Vu offers an innovative new approach to backing up your files. It's a preference pane that shows up in your System Preferences, and it allows you to schedule unattended backups of important folders, or even your entire system. It uses either the psync command for backing up your files.

Features include:
� Backup an unlimited number of folders.

� Perform your backup manually at the click of a button, or schedule your backups to run whenever it's convenient for you. Backups may be scheduled on a daily, weekly or monthly basis, and will be performed even if you aren't logged in.

� Save time by backing up only the files that have changed since the last backup.

� Perform remote backups to WebDAV, AFP, NFS and SMB servers.

� Synchronize the contents of folders.

� Accurately clone your OS X system disk, producing a bootable copy

rlmorel
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2003, 05:45 AM

I concede that you are correct Brass, this is not "the best peace of mind you can buy"...context is important! Some people might say Life Insurance, some might say a membership in AAA, etc. However, as a simple solution for computer backup, it does have some advantages.

If you use my solution as a backup, you have a bootable back up that is an exact copy. (for as often as you back up.)

There are probably cheaper alternatives, this is true. But this also lets you take your mac with you to any other Firewire mac if you need to.

Also, I haven't tried an incremental backup to the Firewire drive with .mac Backup, but I wonder if it might not be even easier with that program than with CCC.

"An argument isn't just saying 'No it isn't'!" "Yes it is!" "NO IT ISN'T!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules