Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Serial number lookup?

Serial number lookup?
Macola
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2004, 02:21 PM

I've sold some older Macs on eBay over the past few months. In many cases, I had prospective buyers ask me for the serial number. Now, I might do that as a bidder just to see if the seller responds to questions, but is there any way to look up a serial number of a registered Mac? Of what use would the serial number be otherwise?
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2004, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by Macola:
I've sold some older Macs on eBay over the past few months. In many cases, I had prospective buyers ask me for the serial number. Now, I might do that as a bidder just to see if the seller responds to questions, but is there any way to look up a serial number of a registered Mac? Of what use would the serial number be otherwise?
I can't say for sure, but there are some online registries of stolen computers. Maybe they're just doing their homework to make sure you're not selling stolen goods.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

-Q-
Jan 15, 2004, 04:30 PM

Or they could be doing research to make sure that the computer you're selling hasn't been stolen from them. A local reseller here has had a couple break-ins recently.

I really can't think of any other reason the serial number would be of use.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2004, 04:34 PM

Yeah, -Q-'s hit the nail on the head for the one reason I'd want to know the serial number. My 17" PB got nicked a couple of months ago and the only records I have of it are the MAC address and the serial number.

FormerCitizen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2004, 12:08 AM

while I still have access to GSX, I'd be happy to look up the serial number for you.

mark9939
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2004, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by FormerCitizen:
while I still have access to GSX, I'd be happy to look up the serial number for you.
What's GSX?
MBP 1.83 GHz CD/iPod 30GB

FormerCitizen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2004, 12:50 AM

^^ Apple's serial number/parts lookup. Employees have access to it.

Yose
Senior User
Jan 17, 2004, 10:23 PM

^^ Apple's serial number/parts lookup. Employees have access to it.
It's a little bit more than that! It's basically what allows ACT's to do their repair work but you can do more than just look up serials/parts with it.
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2004, 08:19 AM

is there some place where you can submit serial numbers of stolen gear? we had two machines stolen a couple of weeks ago, and i have already asked myself if apple would have some database with stolen machines.
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2004, 11:41 AM

Register the serials with Apple themselves. That's not to say anything'll come of it, but it has to be better than nothing. I was told that if the machine which I had stolen was brought in for repair it'd be flagged up as stolen then.

FWIW

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2004, 11:58 AM

good idea, thanks! i�ll dig thru the apple site to see if i find any appropriate contact.
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2004, 05:27 PM

I called Applecare about it, they were happy to help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules