Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What do you think of the PowerBook updates?

View Poll Results: What do you think of the PowerBook updates?
Poll Options:
Already ordered mine 49 votes (24.14%)
Still deciding 56 votes (27.59%)
Waiting for the PB G5 81 votes (39.90%)
No opinion 17 votes (8.37%)
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll
What do you think of the PowerBook updates?
JHromadka
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2004, 12:40 AM

So did Apple entice you into buying one of the PowerBook models released today, or will you stick it out for the G5?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2004, 12:46 AM

I bought the 12" with superdrive and 80GB drive.

onaujee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2004, 12:54 AM

i ordered a 15". i doubt you will have a g5 upgrade soon, probably longer than a year.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 20, 2004, 01:05 AM

I didn't order because I am not a notebook guy. But if I had been in the market for one, I would have ordered a 12" 1.33GHz love kitten.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Alex00087
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2004, 01:11 AM

I must admit, I thought the update was going to be a bit more exciting, but I am still impressed nonetheless. The Airport Extreme + Bluetooth built into every model was surprising too.

saranwarp
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2004, 02:47 AM

Nope, I got my 15" Al in December and expect it to last me quite a while.

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2004, 03:27 AM

I plan on waiting for the new G5's even though I am kinda jelous
::12" PowerBook G4 | 1.33GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | APX | OS X 10.4.1::
::30GB iPod Photo::

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2004, 03:50 AM

Although I voted for the G5 option I wouldn't be buying a new Powerbook even if they came with a G5 right now. I've got a Rev. A 12" and it runs great. It replaced a four year old 333MHz Lombard last year. I'm very likely to keep using it until I simply can't get an adequate amount of work done on it. With 640MB of RAM it really flies under Panther. I'll probably still have this PB in another three years still chugging away. Hopefully I'll have a G5 or something as well but for now my PB is pretty sweet.

porieux
Baninated
Apr 20, 2004, 03:50 AM

I sent my Ti 400 for the Trade-In program last thursday, and am hoping to get bumped up to the latest 15" combo since it hasn't even shipped yet.

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2004, 03:56 AM

Might get something in May, quite doubtful, in fact rather doubtful. Oh well
Aloha

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2004, 04:51 AM

I think that the updates were pretty good but
I'll definitely wait for the PB G5 to upgrade
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

BlueCat
Apr 20, 2004, 05:26 AM

Waiting on G5 as I only got my PB last September
Sure it's a good performance boost, but what I'm more jealous about is the price!!! What a great price cut!
15" Aluminium Powerbook 1.25GHz G4
Panther 10.3
"My first Mac, but definitely not my last!"

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2004, 05:29 AM

I got a rev B 12" when they came out half a year ago, so I probably won't upgrade. But I think the new rev is a very good deal.

I'll probably upgrade when the PowerBook G5 comes out, but I don't know if I want to go with the rev A. Waiting for a rev B G5 PowerBook might mean sticking with this one for another year. I don't know if I can stay that cool.
•

Dr.Michael
Apr 20, 2004, 05:49 AM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
So did Apple entice you into buying one of the PowerBook models released today, or will you stick it out for the G5?
I have the rev b 12 inch Powerbook. I see not the slightest reason to upgrade because of a little more video RAM and a few more MHz.

But I appreciate the possiblity to put a 5400 RPM drive in the book without losing the warranty.

In general the rev b 12 inch is a perfect machine for me. I will keep it until it falls apart.

Michael

JHromadka,
thats whats missing in the poll: "I'll keep mine"
Are you already so hyped that you can not imagine that this is an option? ;0)
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; Apr 20, 2004 at 10:21 AM. )

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Apr 20, 2004, 08:15 AM

I played around with the idea of upgrading to one of those new 17`s. But my Rev. A has enough power for all the work I�m doing-so why bother?

2 more years and I�m ready for a G5 PB.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2004, 09:37 AM

I am *sick* of Apple's attitude on hamstringing the 12''. I want a 12" powerbook with the features of the 15" - not half the graphics RAM, crappy graphics card, no FW 800, no illuminated keyboard and no gigabit ethernet.

It's just a glorified iBook in a metal shell. At almost twice the price.

-- james

runejoha
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2004, 09:58 AM

The new features on the new powerbooks compare to the September model are nothing to bragg about. This is a minor upgrade for some of the models, a marketing trix

The G5 will be released January then, they had more problems with it than i thought, or that the new 64 bit marked is slower than we wanted to predict.

I bought my PB15'' for 4 weeks ago with the best fetaures, and the new one has a 2x faster DVD writer, 0.25 MHz faster CPU and a optionally 64 MB more ram on the videocard. Is this a Upgrade????
How can a boring thing such as a mac or a PC be so exciting??

runejoha
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2004, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by jamesa:
I am *sick* of Apple's attitude on hamstringing the 12''. I want a 12" powerbook with the features of the 15" - not half the graphics RAM, crappy graphics card, no FW 800, no illuminated keyboard and no gigabit ethernet.

It's just a glorified iBook in a metal shell. At almost twice the price.

-- james
A 12'' laptop is made for portability and long batterycapasity, not backlite, graphics etc. Look at the competitors and the PB 12'' turn out to be the one with most fireworks (a big exception is the resoultion. Apples "bad" resolution does not fix for the small 12'')

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2004, 10:04 AM

I am *sick* of Apple's attitude on hamstringing the 12''. I want a 12" powerbook with the features of the 15"
Why stop there? How about all of the features of the Dual 2GHz G5 in a 12" case?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2004, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by runejoha:
(a big exception is the resoultion. Apples "bad" resolution does not fix for the small 12'')
The 12" PowerBook has the highest resolution of all PowerBooks at 107dpi. As a matter of fact, its resolution is also higher than any Apple TFT display ever made.

If Apple increases it, I doubt they would do it on the smallest PowerBook model first...
•

runejoha
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2004, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
The 12" PowerBook has the highest resolution of all PowerBooks at 107dpi. As a matter of fact, its resolution is also higher than any Apple TFT display ever made.

If Apple increases it, I doubt they would do it on the smallest PowerBook model first...
Yes, but after my taste it should have been way better for such a small screen. Because the 15'' and 17'' are the "flaggships" they probably upgrade them first. I guess the PB 17'' G5 comes with much better resoultion before we see the 15''s and 12''s, mostly because of the heat and power problem.

This is interesting though, many people and companies in the buisness predicted apple to release the PB 15'' in May/june. Now we know it will be here at earliest Jan. 2005

Will they loose marketshares?

dwood
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2004, 11:51 AM

I ordered my 12" Superdrive with an 80gb hd :-D

JHromadka  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2004, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by Dr.Michael:
JHromadka,
That's what the "No opinion" option was for.

JayTay
Apr 20, 2004, 12:42 PM

Well I went and ordered mine today. I had considered hanging on for the G5s but I'm too worried about the Rev. A issues that nearly always occur so will probably get a Rev. B G5 when they eventually come out.

Dr.Michael
Apr 20, 2004, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
That's what the "No opinion" option was for.
Thats a clear opinion.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2004, 05:46 PM

I ordered a 12in a week ago, and was overly happy to see it upgraded. It was worth the extra weeks wait to double the VRAM, bump up the processor, and gain a 4x Superdrive. Boo yeah.

djjava
Senior User
Apr 20, 2004, 05:59 PM

I have the RevA Pb17, 60gb drive, 1xDVD, 1ghz, 512mb ram (tho I'm doubling the ram tomorrow).

it's a great update... makes me jealous. But I know that my PB is still a great machine, and when I'm ready to upgrade, the dual processor G5 Powerbook will be waiting for me...
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

CyberMonk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2004, 06:04 PM

I'm waiting to see how the battery life pans out on these new PowerBooks. It's been one of my main concerns with me own 15" Aluminum PowerBook (bought it last October, 1Ghz G4 w/ 512MB RAM), and nowhere near approaches the mythical 4.5 hours boasted by Apple. The new battery seems to have been upped 4-watt-hours to 50-watt-hours total, so there may be a slight improvement. I wonder, though, if it'll be enough to warrant the purchase of a new battery, as this new model should fit in my PowerBook.
I live, I learn, and yet, I yearn for more. -CyberMonk

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2004, 06:14 PM

I got my 1.25 15" Al in...November, and hope it lasts a long time. These upgrades thankfully don't put it to shame. It's basically an added 250 MHz, a newer graphics chip, and 2x more DVD-R. Not bad :-P

ehwang114
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2004, 06:16 PM

man i just bought my new pb 2 weeks ago and i had to spend the extra 100 for the airport extreme card. that blows. i am totally jealous.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2004, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by runejoha:
I bought my PB15'' for 4 weeks ago with the best fetaures, and the new one has a 2x faster DVD writer, 0.25 MHz faster CPU and a optionally 64 MB more ram on the videocard. Is this a Upgrade????
You sound bitter. This is an upgrade and a significant one to anyone deciding to purchase a PB. .25MHz is a 20% increase. 128MB of RAM is 100% increase from what was offered last week. DVD burning is also a 100% increase. It seems that folks with machines less than a year older are chiming in that this update doesn't warrant an upgrade in thier machines, and I say, "why should it?!" Personally I don't understand why anybody needs to update to these machines if you already own any Aluminum PB of similar size. Be happy with your purchase. Even if a G5 PB comes out in 6 months, the G4 PB runs OSX extremely well (I own a revA 12"PB) and will be useful for years to come.

I waited a few weeks to order my 15"PB and I'm ecstatic. Not only is it a better machine then I would have bought a few weeks ago, but upgrading the hard drive to 5200 and VRAM to 128MB cost a whopping $100 A few weeks ago it cost $150 to upgrade the hard drive alone.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2004, 07:18 PM

i could probably do the ebay shuffle and get the new 1.5 ghz machine, but it isn't enough of a upgrade for me to do it. the 4x superdrive is the most enticing thing, but i don't burn enough DVD's for it to make that much difference.
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

James L
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2004, 07:19 PM

Definitely worth it for me.

I am typing this on my 2.5 year old iBook G3. I just ordered a 15" PB with some BTO configs and I am going to see a HUGE performance boost! And, with my develop status, I only paid a couple of hundred bucks more for my tricked out PB than for my old iBook!

Here are the comparisons:

G3 to a G4

600MHz to 1.5GHz (a 250% speed increase!)

100Mhz FSB up to 167Mhz

8Megs VRAM up to 128Megs VRAM (a 1600% increase!)

640MB ram up to 1GB

20GB 4200rpm hard drive up to 80GB 5400rpm drive (400% more space, faster).

Combo drive up to Superdrive

Airport up to Airport extreme

Bluetooth now

Backlit keyboard now

Audio in jack now

...in short, this machine is going to rock for me for the next 2 years, when I will upgrade again!

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2004, 07:27 PM

Hmm...that 128 MB of VRAM is becoming enticing...

Anyone want an essentially brand-new stock config'd 1.25 GHz PowerBook? Loaded with 10.3 and anything else you want :-P (PM me if you're actually interested...1.25 GHz, 512 MB, 80GB 4200RPM, 64MB VRAM, SuperDrive)

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2004, 10:58 PM

I have to say, VERY nice job Apple! I was right on the border of buying the 12" PowerBook, but I was still holding out for a few options. As you can see, my specs are listed at the bottom (sorry for makin' ya look down!)...

A 1 Ghz was Ok, but I wanted something a little faster...WOOHOO!...1.33GHz, fast enough for me!

I wanted a SuperDrive, but would like some kind of an improvement over what I own now...WOOHOO!...now I'm up to a 4x SuperDrive...twice the burning speed!

AND, I wanted more video ram than I already had. I mean, I can run Halo & UT 2004 (demo), but UT is only on Deathmatch at the lowest settings getting 20-30 fps. Yeah, OUCH (but that's with an outdated GeForce 2mx 32mb)...WOOHOO!...GeForce FX 5200 Go with 64mb ram! That should be able to run Halo and UT 2004 at native resolution with some very nice performance boosts compared to what i'm dealing with today. Yeeaah, I love them LAN parties.

This will definitely get me to upgrade. Nice job, Apple!
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2004, 11:10 PM

I think Apple has always done an excellent job with their notebooks, and these new ones continue the trend. I think they are VERY well-designed machines, have all the great features, perform well, and are priced competitively.

HOWEVER, the ONE thing I was hoping to see in the revision, higher resolution screens, are strangely lacking. Apple is WAY far behind the curve. Look here and click on "Learn More" next to "Wide Aspect Display."

WHY???
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2004, 11:31 PM

Wow, I didn't realize that Apple was so far behind in this apsect of their notebook screens. Good news is that the 12" is STILL only 1024x768. THANK GOD!
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2004, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
Why stop there? How about all of the features of the Dual 2GHz G5 in a 12" case?
Because, at the moment, that's physically infeasible. Nothing of what I suggested, perhaps with the exception of fitting the extra FW port, is infeasible.

-- james

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2004, 12:16 AM

Well, more memory requires more space and generates more heat. More VRAM does the same. Faster processors require more power and cooling.

I do agree, though, that FW800 ought to be there. Did you read www.macosrumors.com today. They say part or the reason the 12" is the way it is is that Apple based the original 12" PB design on the iBook, which does make sense.

Chris

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 21, 2004, 02:40 AM

They say part or the reason the 12" is the way it is is that Apple based the original 12" PB design on the iBook, which does make sense.
Part of the reason? Try all of it. The iBook team designed the 12 inch Powerbook. They did so in the timespace when the iBook was seeing only the typical speedbumps. The Powerbook team was working on the 17 inch Powerbook. Once each team completed their designes on the new products, they went to creating another new product. The iBook team built the iBook G4, while the Powerbook team did the 15 inch Aluminum Powerbook.

Do bear in mind the internals of the 12 inch Powerbook are different then the 12 inch iBook, and servicing them is not the same.

I want a 12" powerbook with the features of the 15" - not half the graphics RAM, crappy graphics card, no FW 800, no illuminated keyboard and no gigabit ethernet.
Why the 12 inch lacks gigabit ethernet is beyond me, that should be pretty simple to put in with no space change. Firewire 800 would require a second firewire bus and more circuit board room. Unless they get rid of the 400 port and ship an adaptor with every system. Backlit keyboard would be tricky. The lighting elements would have to be put on the top and bottom, thus increasing the number of LEDs needed to illuminate it. You also need to find a place in the case to put two light sensors. They use two to get an average reading and rpevent screen and keyboard brightness from going crazy if you flip on a desk lamp. You can't put them below the keyboard, since your wrists would cover them when typing. So that leaves above the keyboard.

The graphics card, well, that does suck. It's the same type of thing Apple pulls with the 14 inch iBook now. You have to get that larger system to get a Superdrive. You have to get that larger system for the faster processor. That wasn't normally the case in the iBook line, and only started with the G4 units. Heat is a legitimate concern, but theres a 1.33 proc in the Powerbook, why can't the 12 inch iBook hold a 1.25?
<This space under renovation>

kelix
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2004, 03:47 AM

I just bought a maxed out 15" PB (2gb ram, faster HD) and then apple does this? do I have any legs to complain on? I mean im a power user and need the ram and the faster HD. This really bugs me that less than 2 weeks later the DVD burning speed is doubled, new GPU with more VRAM and 250mhz faster CPU! what can/should i do.... this is (was) a 7K rig!

WSKCONDOR
Apr 21, 2004, 07:33 AM

I ALMOST bought a 12" Powerbook last week, but I held out and kept using my 'interim' iBook. I am really glad. Yesterday's order:

12" Aluminum, 1.33 GHz, with 80GB drive at 5400 RPM.

Sure, I was tempted by the 15", but really only for the lighted keyboard and PCMCIA when it came right down to it. For intense work I use an external LARGE lcd monitor, so I want the PB to be PORTABLE. FW800 SOUNDS nice, but I don't actually have any FW800 peripherals yet (so wait for G5 to get a 15" size). Finally, after spending a year+ with iBooks and a year+ with a 1GHz TiBook, I LOVED the DVD burning capability of the TiBook, but LOVED the portability of the iBook. I think that I will now have both for a while.

OBTW, what do you do with a TiBook that has been dropped and works except for the screen?
-WSK

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2004, 08:23 AM

I'm not buying a powerbook until they have a removable radeon 9800, airport a/g, a 2.5ghz g5 processor with 1.75ghz bus, ddr2 ram, and firewire3200!!!

Oh and a 1920x1440 10" screen!

Aloha

ibulldog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2004, 08:44 AM

I'm psyched about these updates and glad I waited. I almost bit at the refurbished 1.25 PB's a couple of times but held off. I decided on the 1.5 15 inch with faster HD and 128 video upgrade. I'm psyched.

jimcpherson
Apr 21, 2004, 09:07 AM

I went ahead and ordered the new 1.5GHz 15" Powerbook (with 5200rpm HD and 128MB Video Mem options) to replace my 1GHz TiBook. Like everyone else, I would really love a G5 Powerbook, but who knows when they'll be released, and plus I'd never buy a Rev.A machine. And I figure a conservative estimate that the Rev.B Powerbook G5s are at least 12 months away.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2004, 09:12 AM

I'm not buying a powerbook until they have a removable radeon 9800, airport a/g, a 2.5ghz g5 processor with 1.75ghz bus, ddr2 ram, and firewire3200!!!

Oh and a 1920x1440 10" screen!
Agreed. Anything less is crippled.

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 21, 2004, 10:07 AM

ordered the brand new 17inch.
5400 RPM HD
128MB 9700
512MB RAM (gonna buy another 512 after market. apple thinks there ram is made from gold i think)

i sold my last gen TiBook to get it. worthy upgrade to a fabulous notebook. i just feel the G5 is longer away than people think. We might see them next year...then again we might not. The new 15 and 17 inch models of the AlBook are monsters of power and value.
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

trv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2004, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by Dr.Michael:
I have the rev b 12 inch Powerbook. I see not the slightest reason to upgrade because of a little more video RAM and a few more MHz.

But I appreciate the possiblity to put a 5400 RPM drive in the book without losing the warranty.

In general the rev b 12 inch is a perfect machine for me. I will keep it until it falls apart.
Michael

JHromadka,
***Appreciate 5400rpm HOW ABOUT 7200rpm for $0 more now that would be something to APPRECIATE. Why come out with your BEST when it doesn't have the TOP hard drive in it "Travelstar 7K60", Just a thought.
http://www.hitachigst.com/products/m...0.gif*********

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 21, 2004, 01:09 PM

to my knowledge there are no 80GB 7200 hard drives yet.
there are 40 and 60 GB 7200 HDs, but the fastest you can get with a 80GB is still 5400. the 7200s are very near though.
if apple was to use them i doubt they could put them in as cheaply since i've heard the 80GB 7200s will be quite pricey.
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 21, 2004, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by trv:
Appreciate 5400rpm HOW ABOUT 7200rpm for $0 more now that would be something to APPRECIATE. Why come out with your BEST when it doesn't have the TOP hard drive in it "Travelstar 7K60", Just a thought.
The TravelStar 7K60 is 60 GB max.

Forum Links
Forum Rules