Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Bad Generic Memory

Bad Generic Memory
Alex00087
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2004, 12:27 PM

I ordered a Generic 512MB Ram from 18004Memory for my new 15", and I have got three kernal panics so far, and when I run the Apple Hardware Test CD, it goes to the part to test the memory and just hangs there.

My RAM is probably bad, right? Does that mean I can just return it to Coast to Coast Memory and, get another one of the same price and it should work?

d.fine
Mac Elite
May 29, 2004, 12:46 PM

I had the same problem. I ordered PB with 1 GB ram, but I had to install it myself. So the first 2 weeks everything worked fine, but then I installed the new RAM modules, and wham, one panic after the other, black screen, freezes while booting, nothing worked.
Get new RAM's, it is highly probable that they are the source of the problem ! I got my RAM's from an Apple Store, so they exchanged it without problems, I hope you can do so too ... Good luck

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

PeterKG
Senior User
May 29, 2004, 03:00 PM

Hey Alex,

I bought cheaper generic ram to install in my PB and had horrible problems until I realized it was the ram. I'm sure your module is under warranty and for sure it should be exchanged. I paid more and bought more expensive ram for my replacement.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2004, 05:01 PM

My second 512 MB RAM module is bad, it is a Transcend one, is that a reputable memory maker?

To have now only 512 MB RAM is so ... these days. Come on, my old Pismo has 1 GB RAM.

nate_02
Senior User
May 29, 2004, 05:14 PM

I also had bad memory from 1800 bla bla bla.

My computer would constantly lock up. When I took it out and replaced it with crucial tam, everything worked fine.
-nate

pippiwong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2004, 05:32 PM

I've ordered Samsung, Crucial, and Generic Ram.

My Samsung and Crucial were bad. The generic ram worked. The brand name stuff is more likely to be less problematic than generic, but there will always be bad RAM in any batch, name brand or not.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2004, 01:12 PM

RAM warranty is 'for life', right?, you can change it, but my reseller is so retard that 'it is my problem'

Detrius
Professional Poster
May 31, 2004, 08:16 AM

Originally posted by angelmb:
RAM warranty is 'for life', right?, you can change it, but my reseller is so retard that 'it is my problem'
Call back and talk to someone else. You can also take it to your local Apple Authorized Service Center and have them run the more advanced tests that Apple gives us. You are likely to get the same results. The company you bought the RAM from will be more likely to listen if someone certified says it's bad.

BTW, try reseating the RAM. Sometimes, that makes the problems go away.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2004, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by Detrius:
Call back and talk to someone else. You can also take it to your local Apple Authorized Service Center and have them run the more advanced tests that Apple gives us. You are likely to get the same results. The company you bought the RAM from will be more likely to listen if someone certified says it's bad.

BTW, try reseating the RAM. Sometimes, that makes the problems go away.
Thanks for your input Detrius, the Apple Care chief guy on my country have tested it, it is bad.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 07:37 PM

Angelmb,

So what happened? Was the ram maker able to replace your memory???

Mike

Sorry for bringing this back up from the 'dead'.
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2005, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by MikeD
Angelmb,

So what happened? Was the ram maker able to replace your memory???

Mike

Sorry for bringing this back up from the 'dead'.
Hi ! I don't use to read this PowerBook forum on a daily basis since I have no more the 17 inches PowerBook, happened that not only the RAM was bad, the PowerBook logic board was also faulty, thanks God I had AppleCare, so Apple replaced the logic board and one of the RAM modules (even when it was OK) but the second RAM module wasn't replaced since it was not 'from Apple', I have it (the faulty RAM module) still here with me due to the freaking 30 days warranty had expired, LOL, I bought it in the USA and I live in Spain, thanks to the great job of the customs the warranty could have expired once I got it. So how all ended?, I got the PowerBook with the RAM, Logic Board and Hard Disk replaced and sold it as a bargain, 1000€ with AppleCare, then I bought a MDD PowerMac. I still have a Pismo, now that is a kick ass laptop !!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules