Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple to recall 28 000 Laptop Batteries

Apple to recall 28 000 Laptop Batteries
reybart
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2004, 01:37 PM

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2004, 02:26 PM

Whoa nice catch, I guess a new battery isn't that bad a deal for some 15" owners.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2004, 02:54 PM

Mine is HQ402, damn oh well, at least I know it isn't gonna catch fire

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

tavilach
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2004, 02:55 PM

A sure way to make me feel more confident about my PowerBook!

I can't figure out how to remove my battery, to checck if it's infected. In the manual, it says to stick a coin in the latch, and twist it. I did that, but nothing happens. There's a little metal button next to it, and when I press it, five LED's turn on and then off. I can't figure out how to get this damn battery out!
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2004, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by tavilach:
I can't figure out how to get this damn battery out!
Stick the coin in there and turn till the battery pops out, thats all ... (make sure your PB isn't plugged in and all that ! )

tavilach
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2004, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by d.fine:
Stick the coin in there and turn till the battery pops out, thats all ... (make sure your PB isn't plugged in and all that ! )
Haha, my PB wasn't plugged it...but oops, it was sleeping. Yoink. I'll turn it off.

/me slaps himself really hard

Edit: I unplugged everything, turned it off, and turned 1/4 of the way. If I turn it any more, I'm scared that I'll break it.

Edit: Oops, nevermind. I was only turning it 1/8 of the way. Hah. There we go.

Edit: "The recalled batteries have the Model Number: A1045 and serial numbers that begin with: HQ404, HQ405, HQ406, HQ407, or HQ408."

My battery: A1078, HQ421XXXXXXX [Edit: don't post your whole damned SN, silly! --tooki]

Yay!
( Last edited by tooki; Aug 20, 2004 at 11:04 AM. )
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2004, 03:22 PM

any 12 inch batteries involved?

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

tavilach
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2004, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
any 12 inch batteries involved?
Nope . It's only a select few of 15" batteries.

cal6n
Aug 19, 2004, 03:54 PM

I think I'll wait for a while and monitor my battery carefully. The machine in general has been cooler than my 800 TiBook. No point swapping out while my battery's in good condition. Then, towards the end of the program, I get a new one!
G5LC, 6 GB 1.07 TB 6800 GT & 30" (Workhorse)
1.4 GHz Cube 512 MB 60 GB (headless folding)
15" 1.67 GHz Ali G4 PB, 1.5 GB 100 GB (VJ rig 1 & Uni)
15" 1 GHz Ali G4 PB, 1.5 GB 60 GB (VJ rig 2)
G4 800 MHz Ti PB, 512 MB 60 GB (Lounge)

Voch
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2004, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by cal6n:
I think I'll wait for a while and monitor my battery carefully. The machine in general has been cooler than my 800 TiBook. No point swapping out while my battery's in good condition. Then, towards the end of the program, I get a new one!
Isn't the point of this that the batteries are potentially dangerous? If your battery is one of the recalled ones and Apple is recalling them and replacing them for free, I say get a new one NOW.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2004, 04:04 PM

Grr, I was hoping to get my battery replaced. My sub 2 hour battery life is quite annoying

f1000
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2004, 04:08 PM

Voch is right. If your PB falls under the recall category, then you should ask for a new battery ASAP.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2004, 04:22 PM

This is taken from the e-mail apple sent me:

Dear Apple Customer:

In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and other international safety authorities, Apple is voluntarily recalling certain lithium ion rechargeable batteries that were sold worldwide from January 2004 through August 2004 for use with 15-inch PowerBook G4 (Aluminum) notebook computers. Apple has initiated an exchange program and will provide you with a new replacement battery, free of charge.

Issue - The affected batteries could overheat, posing a fire hazard. Apple received four reports of these batteries overheating. No injuries have been reported. Apple urges you to stop using your battery and to order a replacement battery immediately. If you continue to use your battery, do not leave it unattended and check for signs of overheating.

Product - The recalled batteries have the Model Number: A1045 and serial numbers that begin with: HQ404, HQ405, HQ406, HQ407, or HQ408. Batteries with the affected serial numbers contain cells that were manufactured by LG Chem, Ltd. of South Korea during the last week of December 2003 only. The model and serial numbers are located on the label on the bottom of the battery, and can be viewed by removing the battery from the computer. The serial number is printed in black lettering beneath a barcode. The battery is approximately 4.75-inches long by 3.25-inches wide by .75-inches high. The label located on the bottom of the battery reads in part, "15-inch PowerBook G4 Rechargeable Battery" and "Model No: A1045."

No other PowerBook or iBook batteries are part of this recall.

What to do - To begin the battery exchange process, go to Apple's website at:
(http://www.apple.com/support/powerbook/batteryexchange)

You will be asked for the serial number of your 15-inch PowerBook G4, the serial number of your PowerBook battery and a ship to address. After serial number verification, a new battery will be shipped to you free of charge. When you receive the replacement battery, please use the same shipping envelope and included prepaid shipping label to return the recalled battery to Apple. If you do not have access to the website listed above, please call Apple at 800-275-2273 between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m., Central time, seven days a week, for further assistance.

Thank you for your cooperation with this exchange program.

Apple

Copyright (c) 2004 Apple Computer, Inc. 1 Infinite Loop, MS 303-3DM, Cupertino, CA 95014. All rights reserved.
(http://www.apple.com/legal/default.html)

Privacy Policy
(http://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/)
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

ICD2k3
Aug 19, 2004, 04:29 PM

wooo I have 2 15" batteries and neither of em need to be recalled...Yippie!

BTW 2 batteries are great for long trips

Alex00087
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2004, 04:48 PM

I just checked mine, looks like I need to get it replaced. But you have to send back the bad battery so its not like you're getting a 2nd battery for free. darn.

Snake
Aug 19, 2004, 06:30 PM

I wonder what they will do if they don't receive the recalled battery back?

It would be nice to have 2 batterys, mine is working fine
15" 1.33ghz Al Powerbook w/1GB RAM, 64mb ATI VRAM
60GB 7200rpm Hitachi Travelstar 7K60 HD
20GB 4G iPod w/click wheel

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2004, 06:53 PM

Well, I am one of the select few. I ordered a spare, though, and it's not in the recall. So one out of two goes back. Glad I ordered that spare, now.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2004, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
Well, I am one of the select few. I ordered a spare, though, and it's not in the recall. So one out of two goes back. Glad I ordered that spare, now.
The space wouldn't really matter in this case because they send you a new batt first and then you send your old one back...
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2004, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by Snake:

They will probably charge your credit card then. My old Lombard PowerBook was affected by a problem where the DVD drive door mechanism was about a millimeter too long, and sometimes it would prevent the computer from booting up properly.

Apple made me give them a credit card number before they sent the replacement drive to me to make sure that I sent my old one back to them. (They would only charge the card if they didn't receive the drive within a week or two).

They did the same thing with the power cord recall (for the same machine). Used a credit card number to make sure that the old cord was sent back.

They're probably doing the same thing this time, too.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2004, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by wuzup101:
The space wouldn't really matter in this case because they send you a new batt first and then you send your old one back...
Ah, I missed that part. That mitigates things greatly. (this is my third go-around with defects on this PB) Nice to see them handling it in the best possible manner.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

MrCaN
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2004, 08:58 PM

Ok, on the website they say that you can find the battery serial number from the system profilier, ok how, I can't figure it out, anyone else know how.
Mr. CaN

Alex00087
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2004, 09:24 PM

I just looked for the serial number on the actual battery. Also, when I ordered a new battery, they DID NOT ask for a Credit Card? Perhaps I can try keeping this perfectly fine battery.

tungtied07
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2004, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by Alex00087:
I just looked for the serial number on the actual battery. Also, when I ordered a new battery, they DID NOT ask for a Credit Card? Perhaps I can try keeping this perfectly fine battery.
My battery is not under the recall too

I recommend that you return the battery even if they don't ask for a credit card number In the past, when I got user end replacement parts for my old ibook (keyboard, battery, etc), they wanted a credit card number on file, but they also sent one of those receipt/invoices later in the US mail to say that they received the defective part or something like that to notify you they did not charge your credit card. (if they did, they will probably show the price that you will need to pay...)
15" PowerBook 1.5GHz (CTO): SuperDrive, 5400rpm 80GB 16mb Cache, 1.5GB RAM/Backlit Keyboard/Radeon 9700 128MB/MacOS X 10.4.2

PER3
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2004, 02:29 AM

When they say 'overheat' and 'fire hazard', do they mean 'explode and burn'? Ever since I saw those photos of the exploded 17" PowerBook, I have been very uncomfortable taking my laptop onto the metro. Sure, the 'Book in question was being charged when it went off, but all the same... And I even leave my battery at home when flying internationally. I just don't feel so good even imagining the consequences of a burning/exploding laptop in an overhead locker 10,000m above the Sea of Japan.

So does anyone know exactly what they mean by 'overheating'?

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Aug 20, 2004, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by Snake:

In theory if your PowerBook explode or in flames or smoke with that battery on, Apple won't take any responsibility, and your warranty would be void, plus your insurance might not cover such damage.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 20, 2004, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by PER3:
When they say 'overheat' and 'fire hazard', do they mean 'explode and burn'? Ever since I saw those photos of the exploded 17" PowerBook, I have been very uncomfortable taking my laptop onto the metro. Sure, the 'Book in question was being charged when it went off, but all the same... And I even leave my battery at home when flying internationally. I just don't feel so good even imagining the consequences of a burning/exploding laptop in an overhead locker 10,000m above the Sea of Japan.

So does anyone know exactly what they mean by 'overheating'?
What exploding 17"? Link?

tooki

cal6n
Aug 20, 2004, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
What exploding 17"? Link?

tooki
It's not a 17", it's a15" and the photo is here:

http://www.powerbook-fr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1154

A picture is worth a thousand words! I think I'll get it done ASAP!
( Last edited by cal6n; Aug 20, 2004 at 12:49 PM. )
G5LC, 6 GB 1.07 TB 6800 GT & 30" (Workhorse)
1.4 GHz Cube 512 MB 60 GB (headless folding)
15" 1.67 GHz Ali G4 PB, 1.5 GB 100 GB (VJ rig 1 & Uni)
15" 1 GHz Ali G4 PB, 1.5 GB 60 GB (VJ rig 2)
G4 800 MHz Ti PB, 512 MB 60 GB (Lounge)

PER3
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2004, 11:26 AM

Tooki,

I remember some discussion on one of the Mac boards a while back, but can't remember which one.

The original post with pictures was on the French site cal6n linked (and yeah, it was 15" and not 17").

Hang on - I just found the thread - in MacNN - in which a 'Tooki' also participated...

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?threadid=206731

And while we're on exploding batteries, here's a link that explains things pretty well:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14417

I'm just wondering when they are going to be banned by the airlines.. I mean I can't take my toe clippers on board, but there's no problem with a potential bomb?
( Last edited by PER3; Aug 20, 2004 at 12:18 PM. )

thetman
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2004, 12:54 PM

I placed my order for a replacement battery yesterday mid-day say 12 to 1pm It got here this morning around 11am or so. that was fast. they tell you to drain the old battery for some reason. the replacement is model A1078

intake
Aug 20, 2004, 03:36 PM

Same thing for me. I ordered yesterday around 3pm MDT, and here it is 1:35pm MDT, new battery installed. Must be costing the battery manufacturer a fortune in shipping costs.

Of course that is quickly offset if a battery or two blows up and take a laptop and user with it.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 21, 2004, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by tavilach:
Haha, my PB wasn't plugged it...but oops, it was sleeping. Yoink. I'll turn it off.

/me slaps himself really hard
The Powerbook should have remianed in sleep for a few minutes with the battery out. It's a feature to allow a person to swap batteries when one runs low.
<This space under renovation>

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 05:45 AM

Yikes; wouldn't want that happening while working on it

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Aug 22, 2004, 06:03 AM

Excuse my French, but I think that thread was started (with the photos) on 30 December 2003. Apple battery recall was manufactured between January and August 2004.

So, either that battery was not the same kind as the ones Apple try to recall (i.e. we are talking totally different stuff), or Apple haven't told us the whole turth...

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2004, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by veryniceguy2002:
So, either that battery was not the same kind as the ones Apple try to recall (i.e. we are talking totally different stuff), or Apple haven't told us the whole turth...
Same type of battery. Yes, Apple is telling the whole truth.

Lithium Ion batteries of ANY type (laptop, cell phone, etc) and ANY brand have the ability to explode if overcharged. That's why all LiIon batteries have circuitry to protect against this. There is no such thing as having electronic items be 100% perfect, especially given the limitations of current technology.

The batteries Apple is currently recalling were all substandard and can be traced back to the manufacturer. But, that does not mean that you can be 100% sure that the new battery won't explode, nor does that mean that Apple is not being honest about the scope of the recall.

In reality, there is probably something like a 0.000000002% chance (1 in 500 million) of something like this happening to anyone. Very small, but it CAN happen (and in most cases, Apple SHOULD NOT be held liable because they have no REASONABLE [key word--- reasonable] way of knowing that it would happen to that particular battery at that particular time and place. They still have to outline that there is a risk that this can happen-- read through all the fine print on the stuff that comes with a new battery).

This recall situation is different because Apple KNOWS that there is a problem with a certain batch of batteries. Let's say that this batch has a 0.00000001% chance (1 in 100 million, or five times more likely) of having one explode. In this case, if Apple did not recall the batteries, and one in that batch explodes, then Apple WOULD be liable, because they knew that that batch was 5 times more likely to explode than other batteries they sold, but did nothing about it.

No conspiracy here, folks, just coincidence and bad luck.

Note that I made the numbers up. The real numbers are probably smaller (meaning that the real chances are higher in real life), but still small enough that a REASONABLE person should not worry.

Here are a few references:

Exploding Laptop Batteries

Another article that mentions the risk of exploding batteries

Here's a quote from that French message board linked above.

Mais rassurez vous, c'est un cas extr�mement rare, mais ca surprend. La r�paration est prise sous garantie, et il n'y a pas eu de bless�s, l'ordi �tant en veille...
You don't have to even know French to understand that "extr�mement rare" means "extremely rare"
( Last edited by Person Man; Aug 23, 2004 at 11:16 AM. )

Alex00087
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2004, 04:37 PM

Does anyone know the phone number to call to schedule the pickup of the recalled battery? I can't seem to find it on the "return label" as the letter from Apple says.

Forum Links
Forum Rules