Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Auto back up to an SFTP server?

Auto back up to an SFTP server?
Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2004, 02:55 PM

Is there any software out there that allows me to backup a folder on my computer to a directory on an SFTP (secure FTP) server?

thanks

mcsjgs
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2004, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by Nebagakid:
Is there any software out there that allows me to backup a folder on my computer to a directory on an SFTP (secure FTP) server?

thanks
You might check out Deja Vu 3.0 at:

Deja Vu Site

From MacNN:

"Deja Vu 3.0 offers more backup options, preferences

Deja Vu 3.0 is a simple preference pane that offers a number of basic and advanced features for backing up data or entire volumes. Users can schedule unattended backups, clone any Mac OS X system disk (producing a bootable copy), manually start any backup process, incrementally backup only changed files, use network-based volumes, sync folders, and more. Version 3.0 adds the ability to automatically mount a remote volume before backing up, a new option to receive a prompt whenever a scheduled backup is about to begin, better error notification, view details of any in-progress action, and more. A single-user license is $25, while a household license is $35. Upgrades from v2.x are $10. It runs on Mac OS X 10.3 or later."

It has the ability to log onto remote servers in the Options button.
Suicide Bombers: That never-say-die spirit. No, that's not right.

fitter
Senior User
Sep 12, 2004, 01:27 AM

Or use rsync:

rsync -HavP --rsh=ssh some-folder/ yourname@someserver:some-backupfolder

Note that you'll strip resource forks and metadata using tools like rsync, sftp and scp. On the other hand, they're free.

Nebagakid  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2004, 01:38 AM

that is very confusing

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2004, 01:58 AM

that is very confusing
Why don't you be more specific? What about it is confusing?

What operating system is the server running? Are you looking for a more traditional Unix tool or something with a GUI? Do you need incremental backups? Are you backing up large quantities of data?

DejaVu 3 is indeed very solid. I'd look into using it. It doesn't transfer over an SSH tunnel, but if you are running Mac OS X Server or a Unix machine running Netatalk 2, you can connect with SSH tunnels using AFP.

If that is confusing to you, you might want to skip the whole idea of using sFTP and just use DejaVu as it was designed. Or, tell us more about what you need to do.

Nebagakid  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2004, 02:21 AM

well, i want to upload it to my college server space, where the option of connecting to the server is through SFTP

i would like it if it was a simple GUI...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2004, 02:27 AM

well, i want to upload it to my college server space, where the option of connecting to the server is through SFTP

i would like it if it was a simple GUI...
Try this in the terminal:

touch dummyfile
scp dummyfile username@servername:

If it asks you for your password to the server and transfers the dummy file, you can use Secure Copy to backup your files. Secure Copy (scp) is a component of SSH, in addition to sftp and ssh.

You can transfer directories by adding the -r flag - e.g.

scp -r dummydirectory username@servername:

There may be a GUI for scp, but I can't imagine simplifying the terminal command or allowing scheduling.

If you'd like to schedule your scp command, you'll have to get into public key authentication and cron jobs. It gets a little more complicated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules