Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.4.3 Keychain "problem"

10.4.3 Keychain "problem"
rlorenc
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2005, 05:38 PM

Ever since restarting under 10.4.3 I have twice encountered a never-before-seen dialog box asking me to authenticate myself so that the System.keychain can be unlocked for "Tool: airport." Here's the window:

The problem is that the window will not take my Keychain password, and after three tries the it closes down. As far as I can tell, no issues have arisen because of my supposed inability to authenticate this window; Airport works fine and so does everything else.

What could be causing this and how can I get rid of this? I've never seen this dialog box before.

Thanks,

Richard

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 2, 2005, 06:24 PM

I got this same exact thing. Pressing Cancel seems to have no ill effects, but it is indeed annoying.

tooki

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2005, 06:28 PM

Perhaps the new Airport update that was released today will fix this?

OAW

rlorenc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2005, 06:31 PM

Nope. I made the above screenshot immediately after restarting after today's Airport update was installed.

I've also repaired permissions–-no dice.

Thanks, though.

SciFrog
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2005, 06:46 PM

This was posted already, delete the Airport items in the "system" keychain.

adios
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2005, 06:50 PM

I've had the same thing- at first, I just cancelled and airport worked OK, but after a couple of restarts, the machine has started asking for my WEP password as well... and when I type it in (I do know it) it tells me that 'there was an error joining the network ____'.

I can't use airport on that machine- what to do?

EDIT- fixed it- use my other computer to make create a new WEP password. Strange behavior, though...
( Last edited by adios; Nov 2, 2005 at 07:03 PM. )

rlorenc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2005, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by SciFrog
This was posted already, delete the Airport items in the "system" keychain.
That seems to have done it. Thanks!

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2005, 03:40 AM

I've got something else, and thus the deletion of the wireless password from the System keychain does not work. Instead of the window shown above, I get a window from Internet Connect which asks me to enter my password (username is altready filled) to a 802.11x network.

I've tried to delete all entries in the keychains, even the whole wireless configuration, but no luck...
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

SciFrog
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2005, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by adios
I've had the same thing- at first, I just cancelled and airport worked OK, but after a couple of restarts, the machine has started asking for my WEP password as well... and when I type it in (I do know it) it tells me that 'there was an error joining the network ____'.

I can't use airport on that machine- what to do?

EDIT- fixed it- use my other computer to make create a new WEP password. Strange behavior, though...
Normal behavior, you delete the aiport passwords in the keychain, you need to reenter them at some point so that new entries are created in the keychain.

SciFrog
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2005, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jerommeke
I've got something else, and thus the deletion of the wireless password from the System keychain does not work. Instead of the window shown above, I get a window from Internet Connect which asks me to enter my password (username is altready filled) to a 802.11x network.

I've tried to delete all entries in the keychains, even the whole wireless configuration, but no luck...
Just in case, make sure you have the right password for your wireless network (could be different than the system password).

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2005, 10:58 AM

FWIW, I had this problem before 10.4.3 appeared...

SciFrog
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2005, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by EmmEff
FWIW, I had this problem before 10.4.3 appeared...
Correct, I think this problem appeared with the last security update before 10.4.3.

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2005, 11:27 AM

I have had this since 10.4.1 and instead of the details saying for airport it says it for "unspecified". Go figure.
- TiBook 867mhz
- Rev. A Dual 2.0ghz PowerMac G5, 3 Gigs Ram, Dual Dell 24" displays.
- Imac G4 20" with 1 Gig of ram

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2005, 05:45 PM

It is indeed the right password, as it connects in the right way when connecting via Internet Connect.
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules