Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Problems syncing

Problems syncing
Jerommeke
Mac Elite
May 1, 2006, 08:28 AM

Sigh... now my iPod 60 GB is oficially full, but my Apple also refuses to work with it. As I am trying to free up space and music is more important then photos, in the iPod settings I set it to only sync the photos of the last 12 months. iTunes will try to sync after that and returns a message like "Preferences are not saved because the iPod can not be found", while it is right on my desk connected to my computer.

This now occurs in every change I make in the setting, also when a change is made in he contacts settings or somewhere else. Anyone having a clue what this mysterious message means and how to circumvent it?

Thanks.
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

ghporter
Administrator
May 1, 2006, 04:41 PM

Run the iPod updater on it. Even if your iPod's got the latest and greatest version on it already, run the updater. Remember, you want to "update" not "restore," because restore "restores" the iPod to factory (empty) condition. Typically goof-ups like this stop being goofed after running the updater. It's (in theory) caused by something inthe firmware getting corrupted, and the updater fixes it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Jerommeke  (op)
Mac Elite
May 2, 2006, 02:25 AM

It didn't want to update the iPod, as I tried that already. Because no valuable data was on the iPod, I decided to restore it, and it ran smoothless again. However, when I selected to add only _some_ photos, again the same message appeared. Well.. alas, then I guess I have to do it without them, I didn't care too much about showing photos on my iPod already.
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules