Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Does the macbook have a microphone?

Does the macbook have a microphone?
money69
May 27, 2006, 10:10 PM

I remember seeing some discussion on this, does the macbook indeed have a microphone? Is it the little hole to the left of the isight camera?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 27, 2006, 10:12 PM

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
May 28, 2006, 12:05 AM

So, yeah: a built-in omnidirectional microphone. Would make sense when an iSight is included to isn't it?
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

iChelle
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2006, 12:50 AM

Yes the mic is to the left of iSight. I don't know why I cannot hear the other person (who also has iSight) when we do iChat. Someone said it is a bandwidth limitation; has anyone been able to successfully hear audio/see video simultaneously on iChat?
Powerbook G4 17" 1.67Ghz 2GB 120GB SD DL. Mmm. Sexy.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 28, 2006, 07:08 AM

I don't have a MacBook, but yes you should definitely be able to hear audio and see video. You both might want to check your settings.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2006, 07:51 AM

I was able to do a perfect iChat video chat from my MBP to my MB and we heard and saw everything on both.

It's just a shame the MBP has the microphone next to the left speaker and not next to the iSight like the MB. In Skype, I have to use headphones in order not to get feedback from the speaker to the microphone because they're right next to each other.

iChelle
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
I don't have a MacBook, but yes you should definitely be able to hear audio and see video. You both might want to check your settings.
What should my settings be?
Powerbook G4 17" 1.67Ghz 2GB 120GB SD DL. Mmm. Sexy.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 28, 2006, 12:26 PM

Well, that's good question. You can at least check that the "Microphone" under the video settings is set to "internal microphone" and not "line in." You can also check the "Sound" preference panel and make sure the input volume for the internal mic isn't muted or set all the way down.

Forum Links
Forum Rules